Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work tonight I started to see steam coming from under the hood. Coolant has been sprayed from under the cap on the resivor and onto the engine. Seemed like a lot of pressure was building up in there. Temps got to about 235 for a second but stayed at 220 till I got to work. What's going on here??

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Driving to work tonight I started to see steam coming from under the hood. Coolant has been sprayed from under the cap on the resivor and onto the engine. Seemed like a lot of pressure was building up in there. Temps got to about 235 for a second but stayed at 220 till I got to work. What's going on here??
I had this happen on my 2012 Chrysler 200S.Mine was a loose radiator cap.Also check and make sure your cooling fans are kicking in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update:

Car sat all night while i was at work, check cap before i left and it was tight. Got about 5 miles from work and heard 3-4 LOUD clicks coming from the dash/firewall area, drivers side. Looked down temp gauge started to JUMP quickly. Pulled over and popped the hood. Coolant was practically boiling in the overflow. I let it cool down and slowly tried to continue home, 3 more LOUD clicks, no heat, and over heating again! Pulled over shut it off and had it towed to the dealer...:frown2:

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
update:

Car sat all night while i was at work, check cap before i left and it was tight. Got about 5 miles from work and heard 3-4 LOUD clicks coming from the dash/firewall area, drivers side. Looked down temp gauge started to JUMP quickly. Pulled over and popped the hood. Coolant was practically boiling in the overflow. I let it cool down and slowly tried to continue home, 3 more LOUD clicks, no heat, and over heating again! Pulled over shut it off and had it towed to the dealer...:frown2:
I am sorry to hear of the overheating condition. Please keep us posted on the dealer's findings.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Maybe a plugged or bad thermostat.

Reactions: RScottyL

·
Premium Member
2017 Dodge Charger R/T
2,504 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well its back from the dealer.

they found NOTHING wrong with the cooling system. It held pressure for 4 hours, no leaks, they got all the air out of the system and refilled the coolant. Test drove it 3 times and it did not overheat. Kind confused but i think the cap came loose and let air in the system..that's the only thing i can think of. They did Recall work on it while it was in there...that timing chain made a nice difference in the car. Seems to accel better and doesn't have a lag between the 4/8 cly mode like it did before. Ill keep an eye on it and hope it doesn't get hot again....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts