Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I have a 2011 unmarked Police car, pretty much everything on the interior of the vehicle was kept pretty civilian except for rear grab handles are missing and in their place is a solid black plate where it should've been installed. Normally I wouldn't care that there weren't any grab handles but what I really need is the reading light that comes in the assembly with the grab handle (I have 3 kids in car seats and its difficult to get them all buckled at night in the dark). So I have two questions, possibly three.

1. Does anyone know if the wiring is already in the head liner for the light in the grab handle so if I install one it would be just plug and play?
2. Has anyone already done this conversion and know the part numbers of the grab handles with reading lights in them?
3. I have looked on my own and was unable to find the part # so I called a local Dodge dealer in my area and the parts counter guy was pretty unwilling to help me look for the part without an exact VIN # that matched a trim package that already had them installed so all he had to do was look it up an exact matching replacement in the computer. Is there one of you out there that has these installed in your 2011 charger that wouldn't mind maybe sending me a PM with the last 8 of you VIN so i can do the D-bags job at the dealership for him and find the parts I'm looking for?

Thanks for your help.

Trenchmonster

·
Registered
8 Posts
Trenchmonster, did you ever get an answer, or figure this out? I know this is a little old, but I have been unable to find any answers to this. In the same boat, want kids to have some lights in the back as well. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2012 dodge charger pursuit. I swiped the rear handles out of a 2016 charger sxt. The problem is there are only two wires up in the headliner, that I can see running down alongside the roof of the car (where the handles go) which i believe, from looking at the Chrysler schematic goto the rear trunk lights. The connector has 3 wires coming from it for the rear handles with lights. You would need to tap the door lights circuit or possibly the wires going down the roof to make it work if I'm correct. The 2015 light handles fit great in my 2012. Just haven't found the time to do the wiring. I want the same for when I'm loading the little one in and out of the car seat in dark conditions. Real pain in my ass. I shall look into it this more this weekend and I'll report my findings. Unless the OP has found a better way. I have attached the schematic for the handle's light circuit. Also the part number in case your still looking is left side-1TN63DX9AA right side-1TN62DX9AA.
Capture.PNG

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit AWD 5.7 V8
84 Posts
I have a 2012 dodge charger pursuit. I swiped the rear handles out of a 2016 charger sxt. The problem is there are only two wires up in the headliner, that I can see running down alongside the roof of the car (where the handles go) which i believe, from looking at the Chrysler schematic goto the rear trunk lights. The connector has 3 wires coming from it for the rear handles with lights. You would need to tap the door lights circuit or possibly the wires going down the roof to make it work if I'm correct. The 2015 light handles fit great in my 2012. Just haven't found the time to do the wiring. I want the same for when I'm loading the little one in and out of the car seat in dark conditions. Real pain in my ass. I shall look into it this more this weekend and I'll report my findings. Unless the OP has found a better way. I have attached the schematic for the handle's light circuit. Also the part number in case your still looking is left side-1TN63DX9AA right side-1TN62DX9AA.
View attachment 291942
Was tapping into those two trunk light wires what you ended up doing? In the same situation here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those trunk wires go to the curtain airbags. So no. I pulled my head liner down halfway to see if the wires for the handles are taped off. As far as I could see there is no pre existing wiring provision on the pursuit cars however the wiring diagram indicates that all models should have the wiring in the head liner. If you completely remove the head liner it may have these connections taped off twords the front right. The wiring passes thru the right side a pillar. Then enters the headliner at the front right corner. If not worse case scenario you have to tap the door courtesy lighting or possibly the front center lights if you have them. I have attached a picture of the wiring let me know if you need more guidance. @obsolete .

·
Registered
84 Posts
Those trunk wires go to the curtain airbags. So no. I pulled my head liner down halfway to see if the wires for the handles are taped off. As far as I could see there is no pre existing wiring provision on the pursuit cars however the wiring diagram indicates that all models should have the wiring in the head liner. If you completely remove the head liner it may have these connections taped off twords the front right. The wiring passes thru the right side a pillar. Then enters the headliner at the front right corner. If not worse case scenario you have to tap the door courtesy lighting or possibly the front center lights if you have them. I have attached a picture of the wiring let me know if you need more guidance. @obsolete . View attachment 294134
Thanks for the quick response. Looked in the right a pillar and took the fabric off the harness and found what appear to be the same color wires I recall seeing on the original reading light plug, two yellow with some colored line I firget and a black wire with green stripe. The rest probably airbag so I am avoiding them. This gives me hope they are in the headliner, but sadly I couldn't see where they went and am not sure I wanna pull the entire headliner down now. I just need to verify the wire colors for the reading lamp. Additionally, I plan to add the ceiling console with the garage door opener and was wondering if wiring existed in pursuits for that. I saw some modding had to be done for the door opener part though.

Attached is my a pillar harness

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cant speak on the ceiling console. My vehicle came equipped with one w/o the garage door opener function. I would say that the wiring probably exists on all charger models. I sold my car unfortunately with the handle lights just sitting in there holes and never got them working. My car was a 12 pursuit with the Hemi.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I cant speak on the ceiling console. My vehicle came equipped with one w/o the garage door opener function. I would say that the wiring probably exists on all charger models. I sold my car unfortunately with the handle lights just sitting in there holes and never got them working. My car was a 12 pursuit with the Hemi.
I took my headliner down and there infact was no wires heading back to the handles, there was what appeared to be the overhead console connector, but it seems they have separate harnesses for civ and pursuit ones without the rear handle lights. Will probably pull one out at junk yard or check service manual and see what color wires the handles use and splice in to the overhead console harness. Also saw that inside the headliner is a plastic bracket for the overhead console hidden away, would just need to cut the headliner to add it.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's nuts. They have the connector for the overhead console but not the wiring for the rear handles. Interesting. See the attached wiring diagram for complete layout of the interior andlighting system.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I took my headliner down, I didn’t have any wires going to the plastic base, where an overhead console would be. I think I will be looking for a civilian headliner and see if the wiring for the grab handles are attached to that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes probably. It will plug into that pigtail that is in the a A pillar of you just get the harness. Or you can just de pin the connector and add in your own wiring if your so inclined. I can tell you this you just saved somebody else a whole lotta trouble. Even though pulling the headliner isn't too terrible.

·
Registered
84 Posts
One dollar, they called it electrical misc. along with that I got the full rear folding seat back so I can convert my fixed bench seat, exhaust tips, and all needed hardware and seatbelts for the seat for $43.36 total. Amazing deal I have to say.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Was it attached to the headliner?
Yeah it was glued down and hidden under the white sound deadening material, simply ripped it off. I looked and noticed its slightly different at the main connector so I will just splice the handle light wires into it instead of replacing the whole thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts