Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polling 2011 owners, does anyone else have an annoying, reoccurring creak in their front seatbacks? Mine happens after driving for a couple minutes, usually when accelerating (body sinking into the seat), or going over bumps in the road. I brought it to the dealer a month ago and they were able to duplicate, and replace the seatback, but it came back and last week they were "unable to duplicate"...the most frustrating thing to hear ever. Of course, I took the tech on a test drive and couldn't hear it, then back home and there it is again.

What's worse is, I let my wife drive it while sitting in the passenger seat for the first time, and there's a creak there too. She never hears it ever, so now I'm thinking it's because I'm heavier than her? (~175lb vs ??? < 120lbs :)) It can't be normal that both seats creak under a certain weight? Small but nagging problem which forbids me to enjoy the car fully.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Seat creak

Mine was making the same noise. Pretty easy fix. Just pop off the back of the seat. Start from the top to the side and will pop off. There are 4 plastic clips and two at the bottom. At the top of the seat is a metal brace that runs to the bottom. As you push on it with your back it will creak back an fourth especially up around the headrest.
I tried to grease up the moving parts but didnt really help. I just took a cpl of heavy duty plastic zip ties and tied around the frame around each side of the seat. Fixed the problem and just popped the back cover on and good to go.:driving:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to give it a try. It's amazing, for how small a nuisance this is, how much it's pissing me off.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I popped the back off the seat, and I believe this is the metal frame you're referring to? I'm having some trouble duplicating the creak just by moving it, and my wife isn't heavy enough to duplicate it from the front seat. Anyways, by pulling on the metal frame, it kind of rides on the two black hook-type things with the yellow paint marks...I'm wondering if these are the areas that you fastened? I'm gonna have to go for a ride with my wife in the back seat to pinpoint the creak.

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
Wow, I had no idea the seats were that complicated inside. Dayum. Good luck! Maybe you could install some '10 seats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a noise from the drivers side seat bottom where it rubs up against the console and it drives me crazy

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I had no idea the seats were that complicated inside. Dayum. Good luck! Maybe you could install some '10 seats.
Yea all that mess below the metal frame is the lumbar control. The more tech they stuff in these cars, the more things can go wrong I guess. The creaking has subsided somewhat but I may just have the music on too loud. I would love to put some SRT seats in, I find these stock seats lack useful bolstering.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, after doing all kinds of tests and poking around, I may have to give up until the creak gets worse and becomes more easily duplicate-able for the dealer. My wife in the back could hear it but couldn't pinpoint the actual item which was causing it, narrowing it down to the plastic lumbar piece below the metal frame (which doesn't move much when I drive). After more prodding, it may be the foam itself, pushing in on it gives a similar creak noise which I hear while driving. I tried putting a thick cloth between the lumbar support and the foam, but so far it's not working. :(

It's right in that valley of super-annoying but doesn't-duplicate-easily.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"2011 atlanta charger" guy has the same seat you have, it'll be in the top frame section causing the noise. No luck yet with mine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I greased mine. so far so good. Ill post some pics later of what I did. Basically, there are 2 vertical bars that lead from the frame up to the headrest. They pass through part of the seat structure and ther is a plastic bushing.. that was the cause of my creak

I put some lithium grease in the bushing and it fixed it so far.

I would like if atlanta charger could post a pic showing where he put the zip ties.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

I've been back to the dealer 3 times regarding this issue since I posted here - once they couldn't hear it, once the service advisor could hear it but the tech couldn't, and once when they could all hear it but said it was "normal." To hell with these guys. Anyways, atlanta_charger was a lot of help, and I was able to fix the sound using zip ties as he's instructed, see attached pic. The ties are secured to the metal seat frame itself, which can be seen easier if you pry back a black plastic clip attaching the fabric to the foam. They're offset because there's two holes on the frame tubing, but one was smaller and didn't fit the heavy-duty zip ties. Anyways, long story short, the ties help pull the metal bracket back slightly (you can see a slight shadow on the foam in the rectangular hole there, that's because it's pulled back), so when I settle in the seat, it's not moving that frame at all. Fixed! Thanks again atlanta_charger!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same problem here and it is annoying as hell. I did run it by the Service Director and my dealer so she has heard it and will attempt to remedy it when I go in for my 1st LOF. We shall see.......

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hopefully it's not at Lewisville (Huffines). They were the ones that claimed it to be "normal." Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
mine was creaking too on the driver side, against the back and on the bottom too where my butt sits.. so i brought it to the dealer and they ordered a new seat frame.. which costs 1000 bucks. but its covered still under warranty. im waiting for the part to come in to bring it to the dealer and ill let you know how it works out for me!

·
Registered
24 Posts
No not Huffines Johnny. I use Classic in Denton. I've known the service director, Donna Smith, for a long time. In fact years ago I trained her son. Anyhow, she says it is a known issue and she says that at this time there is not a confirmed fix out yet from Dodge. She also says there is another creaking noise that can come from the plastic piece on the left side of the seat bottom if you have your weight shifted to the left of the seat. So far they have been using felt tape to fix that. That's all I know for now.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's awesome Strieg. Good to know they take care of you there, I feel no love from any Dodge service dept I've visited. If there's a recall or anything let me know.

By the way, I do love when they fix something and they quote to you how much it cost them. Like, $1000 for a seat, or $300 for a rearview mirror. As if they're doing me a favor. Am I as a customer supposed to empathize with the fact that they are spending $$$ to fix a broken item on a car which I spent $$$$$$$$$$$$ on?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I hear you there, I think they are trying to use some sort of "let's make the customer feel guilty" tactic. I always buy factory extended for 100K miles and length of my loan and also buy the factory tire and wheel coverage for the same duration so when I hear the "the repairs cost XX dollars thing my response is always "Good, glad I am getting what I paid for then, see you next time!!" I also don't fall for the "unable to duplicate" punt. I take my SA for a test drive with me driving and show him exactly where, how and what speed my issue occurs and if he can't show the tech then I go back and take the tech for the same ride. Over the years of using the same dealer they have learned how it operate. Not so much to be a PIA but back when I turned wrenches I made it a point to drive with the customer cuz I didn't want to see the vehicle again for same issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That's awesome Strieg. Good to know they take care of you there, I feel no love from any Dodge service dept I've visited. If there's a recall or anything let me know.

By the way, I do love when they fix something and they quote to you how much it cost them. Like, $1000 for a seat, or $300 for a rearview mirror. As if they're doing me a favor. Am I as a customer supposed to empathize with the fact that they are spending $$$ to fix a broken item on a car which I spent $$$$$$$$$$$$ on?
I know, like it's costing them any money, fer God's sake. Give it a rest, dealers, and do yer job.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have the same creak in the front driver seat on my 2011 Charger.
I am too scared to take the cover off the seat. I may screw it up and it will be even worse. How hard is it to take that thing off and then put it back on.

What kind of zip ties did you use?

Has anyone been able to get it fixed at the dealership?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts