Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my third HEMI, I’ve never experienced anything like this before. She’s a beauty! 2011 RT AWD with less than 38,000 miles!!! One big problem, I’ve been to the dealership plus two other mechanics. Of course they can’t replicate. With partial acceleration and around 1500 rpms, I get a sound similar to driving over rumble strips and also encounter a slight downward flutter on my rpm gauge. No idiot lights come on. It happens in all four seasons. The sound is audible to everyone in the car. Has anyone else had this happen and can anyone PLEASE HELP ME? I want this car to be with me a longtime. I just can’t invest money for mods until I address this issue and fix it once and for all. Thanks so much for your time and any insights-

Jon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you talking about the exhaust note change when the car goes into eco mode?
Thanks for reaching out-not sure? I turned off the ECO indicator light prompt on the dash. I dont think so because this happens sometimes when I nail it too... had transfer case fluid replaced, transmission fluid replaced, front and rear differential fluid replaced too. No luck. New plugs and have been using the ACES-cleaner in the tank to ensure no gunk.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I had something similar happen with my 14 awd rt in 2019. I couldn't tell if it was coming from the trans or transfer case, but seemed to be more audible in the rear of the trans/transfer case. I wound up replacing both with a 4k mile used trans and transfer case for $750 from a junkyard. Due to my replacement trans and transfer case eating the coupler between them I'm about to put that original trans back in with my current torque converter and valve body (with some new sonnax parts for good measure) along with a new output shaft bearing. Going to rebuild my current transfer case to go in with it, so hoping it was the case or one of the other parts I won't be using.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had something similar happen with my 14 awd rt in 2019. I couldn't tell if it was coming from the trans or transfer case, but seemed to be more audible in the rear of the trans/transfer case. I wound up replacing both with a 4k mile used trans and transfer case for $750 from a junkyard. Due to my replacement trans and transfer case eating the coupler between them I'm about to put that original trans back in with my current torque converter and valve body (with some new sonnax parts for good measure) along with a new output shaft bearing. Going to rebuild my current transfer case to go in with it, so hoping it was the case or one of the other parts I won't be using.
WOW! Thanks for reaching out-sounds like a massive repair! Did it do the trick?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Well the replacement trans and transfer case eliminated the problem with the rumble strip feeling until that coupler ate itself a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the replacement trans and transfer case eliminated the problem with the rumble strip feeling until that coupler ate itself a couple weeks ago.
Car is still under warranty too-problem is they won’t honor anything until a tech can replicate. I had read on another thread that there was a bulletin where Chrysler was offering 2011 transmission swaps. It wasn’t a recall but a bulletin. I was considering contacting Chrysler. You had OK luck with the used tranny and case?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The transmission and transfer case both worked fine. The problem was that coupler between them wearing out and eventually stripping and breaking. That part is a mercedes design of course, but even with mercedes having a lot more awd vehicles running around that are older, not much info is to be found out there about it. The best I could come up with is it needing better lubrications.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The transmission and transfer case both worked fine. The problem was that coupler between them wearing out and eventually stripping and breaking. That part is a mercedes design of course, but even with mercedes having a lot more awd vehicles running around that are older, not much info is to be found out there about it. The best I could come up with is it needing better lubrications.
Thanks again-any chance I could start with replacing the coupler to see if that does the trick or do I have to do the whole enchilada?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I doubt that coupler is responsible for your issue. And even then if that coupler is worn, likely the transfer case shaft is also. That shaft can be had for about $250, but requires a teardown of the transfer case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I doubt that coupler is responsible for your issue. And even then if that coupler is worn, likely the transfer case shaft is also. That shaft can be had for about $250, but requires a teardown of the transfer case.
OK, thanks for all of your help my man-

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Jon:
Is this your first Hemi with MDS? Have you tried engaging the sport mode to see if keeping the MDS off makes a difference? What brand of warranty extension do you have? Have you taken the techs on a test drive to demonstrate and point out the issue to them?

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jon:
Is this your first Hemi with MDS? Have you tried engaging the sport mode to see if keeping the MDS off makes a difference? What brand of warranty extension do you have? Have you taken the techs on a test drive to demonstrate and point out the issue to them?

Don
Hi Don, thanks so much for assisting me-I’ve owned a 2006 HEMI Charger and a 2013 HEMI Challenger. The warranty came with the purchase of the car and is through Ford.Only one tech went with me and of course I was unable to replicate the issue. I have a dumb question, how do I engage sport mode my friend? The Challenger had paddle shift, of course the Charger doesn’t...

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Jon:
If the warranty is via the Ford ESP plan, it should be a decent warranty. If your Charger has the sport mode, there should be a selection on the touch screen to activate it. On my '14, it's the same screen as the heated seats. When I activate it, a a small green racing flag (my description) appears on the dash cluster. Since you don't have the paddle shifters, does your console shifter allow you to manually shift by moving the shifter left and right when in Drive?

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jon:
If the warranty is via the Ford ESP plan, it should be a decent warranty. If your Charger has the sport mode, there should be a selection on the touch screen to activate it. On my '14, it's the same screen as the heated seats. When I activate it, a a small green racing flag (my description) appears on the dash cluster. Since you don't have the paddle shifters, does your console shifter allow you to manually shift by moving the shifter left and right when in Drive?

Don
Good evening, Don-took it out today and verified no sport mode on the 2011s unfortunately. Did briefly try auto stick and was very impressed with the difference in performance. Need a little more time in auto stick to ensure the problem doesn’t come back when manually shifting. Please send any more ideas! Another post asked for a video which I’m gonna try to get soon. Thank you!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts