Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup. At least according to the dealer. Six month old R/T, all of about 3,500 miles on it. Noticed when the temperature dropped it'd slip when accelerating from a light. A normal acceleration would send it up to 3,500 RPM with lots of associated banging and clunking. Feathering the throttle just off off-idle will give me 2,500 and next to nothing in the velocity department. Now it's decided that on occasion it just won't move at all. Great fun in intersections, which is where I found this particular malady.

I brought it to the local dealer, they called me today and said that's normal. I need to warm it up longer. I said I warm it for 5 minutes in the morning to bring the idle down to normal. They said warm it for 10, that's just how these transmissions are. Just like the rough shifts, occasional grinding noise, and penchant for dropping into third on hills and nearly stalling the car. That's normal too. A six month old car that needs ten minutes to warm up so I can drive without fear of losing my transmission. That's "normal" huh? :rolleyes2:

So, I called Chrysler, they asked me to leave the car at the dealer so they can take another look at it. Anybody else seeing this issue? Is this really normal?

I love this car, but seriously, c'mon now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2 month old '10 R/T with about 1100 miles on it. I let it warm up for 10 -12 minutes because I have the remote starter and don't want to scrape the windshield or get into a cold car. No problems like you describe at all.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
:no:

My car last year: 40k miles, with no tune - car ran great regardless of how long it had warmed up.

My car this year: 70k miles, with cold-air tune - car runs great regardless of how long it has warmed up.

Sounds to me like the dealer gave you the easy-out.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
BS

NFW for that to be normal!

·
Premium Member
8,799 Posts
I have a 2010 R/T

I live in the Glens Falls/Saratoga region.

There is no effin way that is NORMAL.

Are there other dealers around? I'd tell them they have one shot, then I'll take my business elsewhere.

My dealer used to be like that.... "This is normal behavior for a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee to blow steam out the front of the car randomly." I went elsewhere. So did many others... they fired some people. VERY good stealership now... I'm back to them.

The other option is ask for that statement in writing "It's normal for the transmission to slip in moderately cold weather, causing the car to become immobile" with the understanding you are sending it to your attorney, in the even you get T-boned in an intersection because of "normal" operation.

We haven't even SEEN cold in NY yet... this season.

·
Registered
484 Posts
My '09 doesn't do anything like that, and we get into the single digits and low teens fairly regular.

The only thing my dealer says is normal is the corrosion around the center caps of a 1 year vehicle (apparently the DM for this region feels the same way). I mean really, this is our 4th Chrysler vehicle, and most likely we're going to upgrade to a new Grand Cherokee in a couple years, yet getting the center caps replaced is like pullin' teeth.

·
Registered
441 Posts
there is no way that is normal for any car that's six months old. either take it to another dealer, or complain to corporate.

personally, I'd just go to another dealer, because this experience right here would make me lose all trust in them.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
there is no way that is normal for any car that's six months old. either take it to another dealer, or complain to corporate.

personally, I'd just go to another dealer, because this experience right here would make me lose all trust in them.
Wow, I'm glad everyone posting on this forum has so many stealerships at their dissposal...........

I would have to move to another state if I used that logic..OH WAIT!! I did move to another state!! 3 times already. 3 different makes of vehicle, 3 different states, 7 different counties, and at least 15 different dealerships and I still have not found a single dealership that can fix anything. Most of my trips to the dealership involve overnight stays and when I finally get my car back I'm grateful if it comes back with only the problem I left it there with. Most of the time, when I get my car back it still has the same problem and then something else they screwed up in the process.

Of course, I never take a car in for anything I can't fix myself. I only take it in for problems requiring the "MACHINE". Their million dollar diagnostic machine that no one can make a repair decision without. When it can't diagnose the problem they all stand around scratching their heads.

Are their any real competent dealerships out there? Read my thread..."Calling all Certified Dodge Techs". My offer still stands. Any Tech that thinks they can fix my car, speak now!! I now have an UNLIMITED WARRANTY!!! I have a car I can't even drive. I've spent over $4,000.00 since 8/15/2010 and my car still isn't fixed. How damn hard can it be?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Mine does it if i dont warm it up and the temps are sub zero, but its only when i first try and move out of my driveway after that it will hold gears longer till it is warm which is normal per the manual, yours is not normal prolly low fluid

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm in LA where it's nowhere as cold as in NY of course. I only warm up my car in seconds, then drive it gently for a couple of miles, that's all. And I don't punch it unless it's at normal coolant temp. The tranny is a little sticky for the few first shifts (especially 1-2), but nothing like what the OP describes. So I also think he should press the issue. Service advisors tend to drag their feet until the car is out of warranty... Everything is "normal" until you have to pay for it, of course.

Otherwise, I got a kick out of un4givun2's post (right on the money, IMO). :)

God, I wish I had the knowledge, time, and tools to do most minor work on my cars instead of being at the mercy of dealerships. I figured long ago (like in '99 when my first CEL came on and no code was stored, so Chevy sent me on my way after pocketting the diagnostic fee) that computers are a way to get you into the shops since modern cars are supposedly so reliable. And that proprietary diagnostic tools are a way to bring you back into the dealerships and away from the independents, to scare you away from DIY too.
I wouldn't mind so much if someone there actually knew how to repair cars instead of reading codes from sensors that can send them on wild goose chases. And that "can't replicate the problem" line is getting old.

I think this is the world we're stuck with, though. Go to any store and try to find some help... Employees (young, underskilled, underpaid, undermotivated, disposable) roam the places like zombies, speaking to each other in their gizmos and headsets, and neglecting customers in need. When you finally get someone's attention, they read (with difficulty) the tag of the item you're asking about and repeat to you the blurb you've already read. Very useful.
In case anybody's wondering, computers did this to us. Or rather, enabled greedy corporations to remove skill and intelligence from our interactions and store all knowledge into machines accessible and understandable by only a few.

Sorry about the rant, but I think it applies. You gotta get squeaky if you wanna get greased. Otherwise they just milk you and send you away after wasting your time. :disgust:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Maybe take it to a different mechanic. I don't even wait for my car to warm up and the idle for me drops to normal within the minute.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts