Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was assigned an old car and wanted to get an extra set of keys and a fob for it. This is the one with the fob that has to be inserted and turned like a key to start or a key.

Went to the dealer because the self programming function was not working. The tech said the car had it's Max # of keys assigned and since I had all working sets with me he removed them all and then reprogrammed three fobs and 4 keys. They all start the car but now none of the fobs have working buttons. They will not unlock the car, pop the trunk etc. The tech tried several times and still no luck.

Now we have to use keys to unlock it and the guys that will have to use the car from time to time are going to kill me.

The dealership wanted me to leave it to figure it out but I was working. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update. Today I took it back to the dealer. He had been researching but found nothing in their service forum. He programmed them again and low and behold the first fob worked UNTIL we interested another key or fob to program it. After trying multiple times and in different orders I said lets call it good and at least have one working FOB. Problem is as soon as I used another key or FOB without working lock & unlock the first fully functional FOB stopped locking & unlocking.

In the computer even when all fobs and keys were programmed it would always show FOB 1 installed regardless of which key or FOB was inserted in the car.

He did find one service entry for police keys IF a key module was installed so multiple FOBS and keys could be programmed using the instructions included with the module, which we don't think we have and nothing shows it is there so we don't have instructions or frequencies to use, and the service entry doesn't explain how to use it or check for it.

I left there with them promising to start a STAR report or something and get back to me. Of course I get back to the PD, get out of the car, and the FOB doesn't unlock the car again.

·
Registered
363 Posts
In the meantime you might need to leave a window rolled down and do a Bo Duke and jump in.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Pursuits have different parameters. I highly doubt you can get the trunk working. I haven't heard anyone doing it cause of this programming.

Here is what the upfitters guide says.

RF Hub ReprogramThe RF Hub controls actuation of the trunk and other remote features. On a pursuitvehicle, using the button located on the trunk-mounted brake lamp only wakes up one of the CAN bus networks butdoes not open the trunk. This is a function of the Vehicle Configuration for a pursuitvehicle.If the vehicle is equipped with Key Alike, the Disable Key-Alike function should be performed in the RF hub. To perform this function:1.Navigate to the RF Hub using the scan tool2.Select Misc. Functions3.Select Disable Key AlikeFollow the instructions on the screen. The municipality may decide to keep the original key-alike FOBIKSfor use with other key-alike pursuit cars still in service, as they will no longer work with the vehiclebeing decommissioned.NOTE:Once the Disable Key Alike function is performed, the FOBIKs will have to be replacedwith retail, non-key-alike FOBIK(s). If a technician attempts to program Key Alike FOBIK(s)to an RF Hub that has had the Disable Key Alike function performed, the programming will fail. Once the Disable Key Alike routine has been performed, it cannot be reversed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think they made a trunk brake like button on one this age; I know our newer cars have that. Also not sure this is a true pursuit model since it's a crappy 6 cylinder but maybe it is.

I asked the tech of it's possible it had that key alike module and he said it wasn't showing up in his system. Would it still show even if somehow it was disabled and not able to be reactivated?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't think they made a trunk brake like button on one this age; I know our newer cars have that. Also not sure this is a true pursuit model since it's a crappy 6 cylinder but maybe it is.

I asked the tech of it's possible it had that key alike module and he said it wasn't showing up in his system. Would it still show even if somehow it was disabled and not able to be reactivated?

Pursuits could come with a V6. All depends on the fleet order.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Dodge should know based off the VIN right? They are bumping it up so I hope they can see what it was ordered with since we got it brand new.
Yeah. I can find a build sheet for you if you PM me the VIN as well and see what I find.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Was a Police Grouped Car, with the 3.5 V6. 2.87 Rear end ratio.

Had Entire Fleet Key Alike (Freq 1)

Looks like it is a West Coast machine as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since it's the keyed alike does that mean I'm SOL to get it fixed without replacing something in the electronics?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Honestly couldn't tell you. I do know Pursuits just got some different programming requirments. I don't understand how/why dealer can't support this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
3 Participants
CE9311
Charger Forums
ChargerForums to connect with the Dodge Charger community to discuss SRT, Hellcat models, maintenance, mods and more.
Full Forum Listing