Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 17 year old kid, that recently purchased a 2010 Dodge Charger Pursuit, with the 5.7l hemi. Like all kids do I cut the mufflers off, a few months after. Then, a month goes by and the car starts to stutter (break up) when I give it around 50 to 70% throttle. I first assumed it was the gas that I was giving it so I switched to a higher octane. That didn’t work, so then I assumed it was the back pressure caused by my mistake, of cutting the exhaust off. So I gave the car to a muffler shop, they cut of the resonator, and added a performance muffler and piped it out back. I got the car back and it is still having the same problem, of breaking up. Anyone have any ideas??

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Have you scanned for DTCs?

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
How many miles on it, and how many idling hours. When was the last time it got new plugs? If it ran ok for a month after the exhaust change, the exhaust change is probably not your issue.

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles on it, and how many idling hours. When was the last time it got new plugs? If it ran ok for a month after the exhaust change, the exhaust change is probably not your issue.

Don
[/QUOTEi

Don
it has 148k miles. I have never changed the plugs since I’ve had it, I will definitely change them next.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
The oem plugs have a 30K change interval. If you have more than 50k on them, that isn't helping anything. I would pull a couple, and check the gaps and brand. You might have a fuel pump on the way out also.

Don

Reactions: CtCarl

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
158 Posts
There weren't any O2 sensors on the part of the exhaust you deemed unworthy?? This would cause the car to run rich and foul the plugs.

Also
The oem plugs have a 30K change interval. If you have more than 50k on them, that isn't helping anything. I would pull a couple, and check the gaps and brand. You might have a fuel pump on the way out also.

Don
You're telling me I have to replace 16 spark plugs every 30k? My civic had 4 and they lasted 100,000 miles. Not even mentioning the fact that that car was turbocharged and had almost double the specific output.

Edit: I just looked in my owners manual, it states 100k for the 3.6 and 5.7, the 6.2 and 6.4 are 96k...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Don
Thank you for the help!!

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack
158 Posts
Thank you for the help!!
When you replace the plugs go with Iridium's, they by far outlast the copper plugs your car came with.

On that note if you are unsure of the cars maintenance history a full tune up may not be a bad thing. Plugs, air filter, coils, wires, fuel filter, check the diff fluid, trans fluid, coolant etc.

·
Premium Member
1,876 Posts
@ KAS:
The '13 and older Hemis used the Champion copper plugs good for ~30ish k. Starting in '14, they got the NGK iridiums that are good for 100k. IIRC, the 3.6 engines got the longer life plugs from the get go.

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There weren't any O2 sensors on the part of the exhaust you deemed unworthy?? This would cause the car to run rich and foul the plugs.

Also

You're telling me I have to replace 16 spark plugs every 30k? My civic had 4 and they lasted 100,000 miles. Not even mentioning the fact that that car was turbocharged and had almost double the specific output.

Edit: I just looked in my owners manual, it states 100k for the 3.6 and 5.7, the 6.2 and 6.4 are 96k...
No I made sure of that, the o2 sensors are before the resonators.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts