Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Dodge Charger 3.5l with 107k miles engine pulses intermittently when I am stopped at a red light or stop sign, its not at every stop, but at some point for sure I know its coming. Car drives great and shifts fine with no misfires on highway. Three mechanics can not determine cause of issue and all took their fair chance of changing parts without fixing the problem.
Parts changed, Spark plugs, coils, rocker arm, machined head, exhaust valve, EGR valve, timing belt and computer reprogrammed. Nothing has changed and each mechanic stated that the engine seems strong. Very puzzled here, any help would be great. Stranded here in NJ.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Has the battery been load tested? If not, test and replace if it comes back less than 100%.

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated. The battery is less than a year old. I can have it load tested to double check.
I have yet to have the car shut off at a stop, if that means anything. Just a slight engine pulse that occurs randomly at a complete stop while at idle.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Can you define "pulse" a bit better? Do the rpms go up, or down? You say it's not stalling. I am surprised at all of the parts the mechanics have thrown at it. Have you been able to verify the fuel pressure is up to spec?
Are there any trouble codes? Has the CE light been on at all?

Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RPMS do not move. Its not a heavy pulse. No loud noise, more like almost a slight shudder or murmur. Like a slight bop...bop bop.. bop. Then idles normal then a random bop. There is no pattern of when it will happen or how many shudders it will do. But with every trip at one complete stop I will get the symptoms. It's very similar to a misfire if not an actual misfire. But its very slight and no noise the "pulse" is like a shudder/vibration in the engine. I haven't been able to verify if fuel pressure is up to specs. But I will put that on the list with the Battery load test.

I really appreciate your time. This has been causing me a nightmare, an expensive one at that.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
It would help if you could catch this issue on a video, and post it somewhere. Then, put the link here so we can watch. You are doing a great job of describing it, but a video can be priceless in these situations.
Add having the alternator tested to your list as well please. If is it doing weird things, that can play havoc with the electrical systems, etc.
Don

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try to get a video of the car, but I swear it is so faint that you may not even be able to notice it, but meanwhile if you are sitting in the car you can easily feel it. I will see what I can do though. Like I mentioned mechanics all felt the shutter but had no idea where to start. All think car is not worth fixing as well, but that's because they just want to throw an engine in and call it the day. I will add the alternator to the list. Thanks again for your time.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts