Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. New here.

I'm looking at to get a cheap comfortable daily driver. I never really considered a Charger.. My dad has a 2016 Scat Pack and it's awesome. So I just came across the 2009 R/T AWD with 85k miles. What are some things to look out for? What's the reliability of these 100+k miles. My father has mentioned some have lifter tick issues, and of course because of the miles the suspension should be checked. I have some good automotive knowledge so hit me with everything you have.

PS. I currently have a 2014 Subaru BRZ that I'm turning into an AutoX build. 4.88 fd, e85, full bolt ons, I LOVE my BRZ but it's just not daily drivable anymore haha.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
They're pretty good, the hurdles you will run into with the AWD: can't really modify it for more power, it sits up fairly high due to the AWD (and can't really lower it), wheel are very specific to the AWD and the suspension is very different from the RWD. If you're fine with it stock with some tuning and bolt ons, maybe a cam, you're golden.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They're pretty good, the hurdles you will run into with the AWD: can't really modify it for more power, it sits up fairly high due to the AWD (and can't really lower it), wheel are very specific to the AWD and the suspension is very different from the RWD. If you're fine with it stock with some tuning and bolt ons, maybe a cam, you're golden.
Awesome okay. Well that's good. I PLAN not to modify it that much but you know how that goes haha. As far as wheel/tire sizes, if I change them up a little, would I have issues with the differentials?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I had a 2010 AWD R/T, so basically the same car, traded it in at 96k miles with absolutely no issues.
Up until 2010, the AWD cars did sit 1" higher than non-awd models, so 2" higher than the 6.1 SRT8.
If you plan to daily drive it and not do much as far as performance mods go, it's a great car. The all wheel drive is great in the snow.
I had my windows tinted, added a front chin spoiler, and that was it.
Did oil changes every 3k with conventional, front pads and rotors around 60k, and put on some Cooper CS5 Ultra tires, and always ran 89 fuel.
If it wouldn't gave been for me wanting a 392, I'd probably still have it.

I'd have no qualms about purchasing one, just do your due diligence and see how it was maintained by the previous owner/s.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Okay gotcha. And about lowering it, I've read some people put springs on them. But also some people say it may cause strain on the drivetrain.
I've heard about people dropping them to standard R/T height without issue, but can't provide any proof.

I'll just add this, the added ride height was nice in winter conditions. Didn't have to worry about being a snow plow with the front end like you do with SRTs.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'll just add this, the added ride height was nice in winter conditions. Didn't have to worry about being a snow plow with the front end like you do with SRTs.
I've got a'14 R/T Blacktop and an '05 300C AWD, and I wish the R/T had the 300's ground clearance. Here in Southern Connecticut, between extreme driveway transition angles, pavement defects, speed bumps and parking stops, almost anything short of an Humvee can get all scraped up, especially if it's got a chin spoiler, splash pan, or any other low-hanging plastics.

I bought a Mopar Suspension Upgrade Kit for the R/T, but didn't install the springs. I didn't want even 1mm of drop, because that just means when I scrape something, I'll scrape it that much harder.

So depending on where and how you drive it, the extra ride height of the AWD may come in handy, even in good weather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts