Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I was in the driive thru at McDonald's. Warning lights on the dash started coming on, radio turned off. Started driving home as I had only a few miles to go, car went completely dead. I was able to pull over safely. Everything shut down. Tried to start it back up, absolutely nothing. No lights, couldn't take the key fob out of the ignition. Was able to open the trunk with the little key. Tried to jump it, nothing. But was able to get the dash lights and to come on and take the fob out after it was charging. Had it towed home, still won't start. Lights on dash come on, headlights and interior lights come on. I did the security reset and still won't start, doesn't turn over or anything. Please help!!!???? This is my baby.

EDIT: I'm looking at the starter relay as maybe the problem..... the one that is installed in m/y car is gray and only has 4 prongs. The replacement or oem has 5 prongs. What's the deal

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Get a charger on the battery, load test it, check the alternator, scan for DTCs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a charger on the battery, load test it, check the alternator, scan for DTCs.
The battery is fully charged, so there is nothing wrong with the alternator. The only code it has is 0406 which is the egr, no problems with that. I think it is the starter relay, but I just want to make sure. Also I noted that the starter relay on there now only has 4 prongs instead of 5 as I've seen.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The battery is fully charged, so there is nothing wrong with the alternator. The only code it has is 0406 which is the egr, no problems with that. I think it is the starter relay, but I just want to make sure. Also I noted that the starter relay on there now only has 4 prongs instead of 5 as I've seen.
I don't know how or why a starter relay would shut down a running engine and leave it completely dead, but if that is the problem, it's a super easy fix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I replaced the starter relay, didn't work. Could the alternator be the problem? It was making a whining noise before this all happened. Could this be a safety feature that makes the car not start?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yes.

So I replaced the starter relay, didn't work. Could the alternator be the problem? It was making a whining noise before this all happened.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
No, a dead battery or bad starter or relays would make it not turn over...your bad alternator could have also fried the PCM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts