Service Bulletins
Downloads
Foreign Campaigns
EWR Information
Sitemap
Contact ODI
(888) 327-4236
TTY: (800) 424-9153

A safety complaint is a record of a problem experienced by a consumer that is due to a defect in the performance, construction, a component, or material of their motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment.

Recalls - Search Results
Navigate: ODI Home » Recalls » Search » Results List

Search Results
Report Date : November 2, 2009 at 11:55 PM
NHTSA Campaign ID number : 09V420000

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
CHRYSLER / 300 2009-2010

DODGE / CHALLENGER 2009

DODGE / CHARGER 2009-2010

DODGE / CHALLENGER 2010

Manufacturer: CHRYSLER LLC Mfr's Report Date: OCT 29, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V420000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: WHEELS:LUGS/NUTS/BOLTS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 12674
Summary:
CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009 THROUGH 2010 PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH REAR WHEEL DRIVE. THESE VEHICLES MAY HAVE BEEN BUILT WITHOUT A FRONT WHEEL SPINDLE NUT.
Consequence:
WHILE DRIVING, A TIRE AND WHEEL SEPARATION COULD OCCUR INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE TIRE AND WHEEL ASSEMBLY AND IF FOUND WITHOUT A SPINDLE NUT IT WILL BE REPAIRED FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING OCTOBER 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-835-1403.
Notes:
CHRYSLER RECALL NO. J27. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Check to Request Research. Submit below.

111 RSS | Web Policies & Notices | Terms of Use | FOIA | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Accessibility | E-mail NHTSA

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
wow....more shoddy work by chrysler.

thats gonna help them get back to making money.

"Hey, lets leave the front wheel spindle nut out of all of these cars for awhile, itll save us some money. We'll just see what happens"

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well Sh!t, thats good to know before i go on a 2000+ miles road trip...

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Wow! Just when my car is ready to sit for the winter I have to take it out for another recall.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
what they hell are they talking about? there is no spindle nut if there is no halfshaft which there isnt on the front unless their is a awd car.
So other than a halfshaft nut the only nut that could lose the tire and wheel is a lug nut. If they are talking about a ball joint nut on the spindle that would not seperate the wheel and tire completely but would make the supsension come loose.
hmmmmmm. Maybe we can find some pictures of what they mean.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
what they hell are they talking about? there is no spindle nut if there is no halfshaft which there isnt on the front unless their is a awd car.
So other than a halfshaft nut the only nut that could lose the tire and wheel is a lug nut. If they are talking about a ball joint nut on the spindle that would not seperate the wheel and tire completely but would make the supsension come loose.
hmmmmmm. Maybe we can find some pictures of what they mean.
Rofl they even fail at their recall:no:

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Chrysler has issued a recall for 12,674 vehicles, including the 2009-2010 Chrysler 300, 2009-2010 Dodge Challenger, 2009-2010 Dodge Charger, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The spindle nut is a rather large and obviously important part of the wheel assembly that keeps the wheel attached to the axle.
This is in one article , however there is no front axle.

this recall has got to effect only awd from what i'm thinking, however the link in post one shows rwd. I'm cornfused.

http://blogs.thecarconnection.com/m...sler-recalling-rwd-cars-for-front-wheel-issue
http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies...er-300-recalled-for-tirewheel-separation.html

This has to be a ball joint nut or something. The spindle is bolted to the ball joints with nuts, the hub is not the spindle, so i'm assuming but i dunno. Weird. Wonder if any one that works at a chry dealer has done any of these yet that is a member on here.

I asked some chrysler techs for further info just in noone here comes up with an answer. Monitor this thread and maybe someone will pop on there and explain.
http://www.flatratetech.com/community/index.php?showtopic=30970

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Whats amazing is that we all know there is a known problem for the halfshaft nuts on the rear of 06's backing off and this dipsticks didnt learn?

·
Registered
14,728 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
didn't this just happen to a guy that posted on here about 2 weeks ago... he left the dealer with his brand new challenger and one of the wheels came off

·
Registered
484 Posts
Checked Dodge.com and my '09 R/T isn't one of the affected vehicles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for the link and thank god i am not affected by this one...

·
Registered
838 Posts
Um, if they were built with no spindle nut, the car would not make if from the prduction line to the shipping company without som major noise as the only thing holding the wheel on would be the brake caliper.
No way 13,000 car made it off the line without the nut, maybe 1 or 2 but no way 13,000 could come off the line with no wheel spindle nuts and over two model years.

I think this may be another case of a reporter not being able to read (the actual issue) or a made up story.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts