Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea when the HIDs are going to come out for the 08 chargers? I'm waiting on replacing my 07 until two things happen: 1: I get the 6500 to put down on the new one that was lost in the old and 2: I want the HIDs!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Anyone have any idea when the HIDs are going to come out for the 08 chargers? I'm waiting on replacing my 07 until two things happen: 1: I get the 6500 to put down on the new one that was lost in the old and 2: I want the HIDs!
Have you tried going to a dealer to order a charger the way you want it?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's how I do it whenever I get a car... I placed a call earlier and my sales rep at the dealer should be getting back to me with some more info about the HIDs.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I would like to put a set of '08 HID's on my '07.....hope it's possible, though I haven't heard anything like this done yet. Still early though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i think someone inquired about this (putting in the 08 HID's in an 07/06) in some other post, and I believe that one of the "chrysler" people said it could not be done.....something about wiring not being compatible....????

·
Registered
676 Posts
That would suck the big one. One of the things that I wish this car had is HID lights. Once you have a car that has them, you don't want to go back. At least I found that anyway.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Shouldn't be an issue as you could always spice a relay for the HIDs to work. The only thing I heard was that the headlights housing had to be tweaked in order to fit into the compact/limited space in the front bumper. The housing, if anything like the 300's, will run you over $1,500 bucks new. But they will look awsome at night in combination with halos.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Why is everyone worried about retrofitting the factories when theres pleanty of aftermarket options at a fraction of the cost?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have called 3 different dealerships this week and inquired about the 08' having HID's. None of them could tell me anything about the 08's but said that they would get back to me when they do.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Why is everyone worried about retrofitting the factories when theres pleanty of aftermarket options at a fraction of the cost?
Good aftermarket replacements? I don't think so. Unless, that is, you like LED's on the bottom of your headlights and LED Halos(which aren't as bright) as well as Halogen projectors which although do provide a respectable cutoff line, throw huge hotspots and don’t get the job done as HID projectors. So although you can get replacements at a fraction of the cost they also will look like you did, IMO as well as others here.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Good aftermarket replacements? I don't think so. Unless, that is, you like LED's on the bottom of your headlights and LED Halos(which aren't as bright) as well as Halogen projectors which although do provide a respectable cutoff line, throw huge hotspots and don’t get the job done as HID projectors. So although you can get replacements at a fraction of the cost they also will look like you did, IMO as well as others here.
And lets not forget that every single one of those "after market replacements" is illegal (at the federal level so it's illegal in every state) in the US, Canada and most of Europe. They will likely fail most state safety inspections as well in addition to creating an obnoxious amount of glare for other drivers on the road.

To understand why, read this from Daniel Stern (a Mopar fanatic and lighting expert):

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

What's really amazing is that you've got vendors hawking this stuff here knowing full well that the product is not legal. Can I be a sponsoring vendor and sell pot? :)

Best,

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Im under the impression weret alking about the HID bulb kit, not headlights. I know every single headlight available is a cheap POS; but were talking HID kits. I would imagine the housings for the cars with and without HID's would still be the same.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Is it fire over in Beijing?
???

Nope, it's illegal here too. However, like NYC you can go to the bar district and there are a gazillion Africans (mostly Nigerians) selling it on the street corners. Not that I've tried it or anything. :)

Best,

·
Registered
789 Posts
Im under the impression weret alking about the HID bulb kit, not headlights. I know every single headlight available is a cheap POS; but were talking HID kits. I would imagine the housings for the cars with and without HID's would still be the same.
Nope not the same the 300's even have two sets of projectors the are available one w/ the HID option and one w/o. They non-HID projectors although are projectors are not made to focus the HID bulbs and therefore cast "hotspots".

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wouldn't call a November arrival "late". The wiring will most likely be different. The attachment points will also likely differ.

One thing to think about is that they'll be building HID cars and non-hid cars on the same line. So, they either changed the whole headlight assembly/design so both HID and non hid are the same --OR-- have retrofitted a projector into the current design.

Regardless, I doubt they'd change the mounting scheme for what could be an "internal" (lense/optics) change to the headlights

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wouldn't call a November arrival "late". The wiring will most likely be different. The attachment points will also likely differ.

One thing to think about is that they'll be building HID cars and non-hid cars on the same line. So, they either changed the whole headlight assembly/design so both HID and non hid are the same --OR-- have retrofitted a projector into the current design.

Regardless, I doubt they'd change the mounting scheme for what could be an "internal" (lense/optics) change to the headlights
well Chrysler calls a November arrival late. and it is late. the '08s have been available for a month now and ordering started well over 2.5 months ago. and you could not order hids then. the projector is in the outer cup on the headlight. no big noticeable change.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
People are a little picky about "hotspots" and HID projectors IMO.....

I just put my kit in last week in the stock halogen headlights, as Ive stated many times, zero, yes zero glare. You can get down on your knees any distance and look at my headlights eyelevel and there is absolutley none. Id rather pay $300 to have a 1" hotspot somewhere, then $1500. I aimed my headlights down a drop, to me its well worth that for the $$ saved, and the safety of the fine pedestrians around me

:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts