Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a 2008 Daytona, and got to bring home a 2009 Daytona from a dealer overnight. I noticed two things right away:

• 2008 exhaust is louder.
  • 2009 has a lot more pickup at all RPM ranges.
I decided to capture the exhaust sound difference on video. Here goes...

These were recorded back-to-back using the same camera, on the same day, etc. Both cars have the Mopar CAI installed, and are otherwise stock. Both cars sat overnight, and this was their first startup of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/v/acxlH4QGkp8&hl=en&fs=1
http://www.youtube.com/v/SKme5IU2Q3E&hl=en&fs=1

·
Registered
65 Posts
The '08 one is definitely louder in your videos.
I changed-out the stock exhaust in our '09 (to Magnaflow cat-back) because it was to quiet. Did you buy the '09 or just test-driving? From what I've read online, '09 has a bit more HP than the '08. Gearing is different and larger half-shafts. We are enjoying ours.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you buy the '09 or just test-driving?
It was a loaner vehicle while my wife's was in the shop for warranty work. It helps to know the General Sales Manager -- it was his personal loaner. :D

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've read mileage differences causes the exhaust to change a little from new.

JK

·
Registered
484 Posts

JK
I noticed this as well. Our Charger was an early '09 (October of '08) and had about 3k on the clock when we bought it a couple months ago. One of thing I have noticed is that the exhaust has become considerably louder now that we have almost 7k on the odomoter, especially at WOT.

·
Registered
539 Posts
totally agree, 4fish. when i first got my car the exhaust was quiet. after 5k it is getting louder every weekend. i'm still gonna get corsas in a couple of months. how many miles are on the '09, Indy?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Hey thanks for posting. I always love unbiased comparisons like that. I wish my deaf ass heard my Daytona's exhaust like it sounds in the video thru my surround sound lol. I keep telling my girl I want open headers, but she's says no, that's too loud.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
totally agree, 4fish. when i first got my car the exhaust was quiet. after 5k it is getting louder every weekend. i'm still gonna get corsas in a couple of months. how many miles are on the '09, Indy?
I thought about the mileage difference. They aren't that far apart, though. Maybe a year in age, but not a huge difference in miles.

2008 = 13,000 miles
2009 = 6,700 miles

The 2009 is past that magic 5,000 mile hurdle. Having said that, I don't think my 2008 exhaust note has changed much since I bought it (4,700 miles -- it was also a demo). There has always been a raspy snarl, especially when the pipes are cold. When warm, the note gets more mellow, closer to the R&T muffler sound. That's why I made sure that both cars were cold when I started them up for comparison.

My friend has a 2008 Road & Track with Mopar CAI, and the 2009 Daytona with Mopar CAI sounds similar to his.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yaaa the 08 is Definitly Louder...

Maybe it's the new tune ups for the 09 I know it has like 25 more HP then ours stock, maybe that affected the sound? Cause my friend has a 09 Challenger RT stock and when my Daytona was Stock Im sure it sounded louder, Thought I was imagining at first...

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
do you think some of it could also be the air intakes with the 09's having that new resonator baffle added to the tube... definitely effects sound... just a thought:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
do you think some of it could also be the air intakes with the 09's having that new resonator baffle added to the tube... definitely effects sound... just a thought:)
Both cars have the same Mopar CAI installed.

Without that, though, you would be right, and I would expect the 2009s to be quieter with their resonator on the intake.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
Both cars have the same Mopar CAI installed.

Without that, though, you would be right, and I would expect the 2009s to be quieter with their resonator on the intake.
darn... I just realized I missed that :slap::cowsmile:

·
Registered
877 Posts
My '08 sounds exactly like your higher mileage '08 so the total miles plays no part in sound difference....

this vid was shot when I had about 3,500 miles.

Absolutely LOVE its sound & wouldnt even consider changing it for an aftermarket exhaust.

PS---stock airbox if it makes any difference...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGmHl3wtdVE

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
My '08 sounds exactly like your higher mileage '08 so the total miles plays no part in sound difference....

this vid was shot when I had about 3,500 miles.

Absolutely LOVE its sound & wouldnt even consider changing it for an aftermarket exhaust.

PS---stock airbox if it makes any difference...
you should grab an SRT airbox if you can... the bottom has a cutout along with the hole and is less restrictive and has more sound:beerchug:

·
Registered
856 Posts
2009 daytona/rt is set at 368hp the truck has 390hp. the gearing is also different for the RT and different for the Daytona, RT seem slower than the older ones due to gearing. I havent driven the new Daytona so couldnt tell you if they are quicker than the old daytonas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The 08 Daytona being louder than the 09 makes sense. I found that checking the prt numbers on several 09 Daytonas, R/T with R&T and R/T's that they used the same system. The 08 Daytona is a different part number than what the 09's have on them.

My 09 R&T has almost 5K on it and it is louder now than when new. When it was new I wanted to change the exhaust because it was too quiet. Now it sounds better although it could be louder, I wish Chrysler used the 08 Daytona exhaust on it instead.:rocker:

·
Registered
189 Posts

JK
Correct....X2, mileage, time with engine running, driving habits, etc....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts