Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for being too descriptive or long winded but I wanted to make sure I provided as much information and detail as possible to make the diagnosis much easier.

I have a 2008 Dodge Charger SE 2.7L Engine and I’m experiencing TERRIBLE cranking/starting issues and NO ONE seems to be able to diagnose the issue! I’ve taken it to 3 mechanics now and I’m REALLY trying to avoid taking it to a Dealership (just too expensive for me right now).

Here’s a break down and time line of what I’ve experienced thus far (and notice the inconsistencies)

1. (few months ago) Instead of me turning the fob and the car starting instantly as normal, I had to hold the fob in the start position for an extended 3-4 seconds before it would start.
2. (weeks later) 3-4 seconds sometimes grew to 5-6 seconds before it started.
3. (couple months ago) It went away and began starting instantly again.
4. (weeks later) It went back to the 3-6 second delay again but would still start.
5. (a month ago) It began “trying” to crank (turn over) but wouldn’t start. It would do this 1-3 times and then finally start.
6. (one day) It cranked and cranked (the engine was turning) but would NOT start at all.
7. (next day) It tried to crank and finally started.
8. I took the car to Autozone and let them test the battery and starter. And EVERYTHING checked out fine!
9. (next day) I checked all the fuses relating to ignition and starter. No fuses were blown. Relays looked ok too. When I started up the car the check engine light FINALLY came on for the first time. I drove the car to Autozone and their computer gave error codes P0335 (Crankshaft Sensor Circuit) and P0340 (Camshaft Sensor Intermittent). The tech told me to hold off on buying the parts since one of them had to be ordered and we really wasn’t sure which needed to be replaced (trying to be as cost efficient as possible). :)
10. (two days later) After trying to crank the car (the engine did not turn at all), it finally started after 10 minutes of trying. I drove to work and when I got ready to go home the car would NOT crank or start AT ALL! I tried to crank it for 45 minutes. It would not crank (turn over) at all. I left the car at my job and returned 2 hours later and installed a new Camshaft Sensor. And it still did absolutely NOTHING. After trying to crank it for about 30 minutes, I left it and returned later that evening. It still would not crank. I tried everything but one thing….jump starting it. I KNEW this wouldn’t work but what did I have to lose? Put the cables on and within about 2-3 minutes it started! Drove straight to Autozone and had them test the battery and starter again and their computer once again said everything checked out good. They said the jumpstart was a coincidence.
11. (next day) took it to a local auto shop. They also told me jump starting it was a coincidence, however, they could not get it to crank. They tried the fob, a portable battery jumper, and then they rolled out a big truck battery with cables attached to it and unsuccessfully tried to jump it. Just as they were about to push the car into the work area I suggested jumping the car with “another running car.” After 2-3 minutes….it tried to crank once or twice and finally started. Coincidence? I don’t know…
12. (next day) the car would not crank or start. I attached the jumper cables and again after 2-3 minutes it started. This time the car cranked/started PERFECTLY for 2 days straight!
13. (today) the car will NOT crank nor start.

ANY AND ALL INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! ANY SUGGESTIONS OR QUESTIONS PLEASE DON’T HESITATE TO POST! And I do mean “ANY!”

P.S.
Everything is STOCK. Stock radio, no amplifiers, no automatic starters, no added security systems, etc.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'm not a pro by any means, but I would start by replacing the battery. Also, there could be loose connections to the battery or the ground. If that doesn't work then it could be the alternator beginning to fail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
X111103

I'm not a pro by any means, but I would start by replacing the battery. Also, there could be loose connections to the battery or the ground. If that doesn't work then it could be the alternator beginning to fail.
Thanks for your post, really appreciate that. Yeah I was gonna change the battery today, but I tried taking the battery off of my wife's car and switching them out as a test....and it still didn't crank. I checked all the wires, cables, and grounding...and all good. Maybe I'll try testing the alternator.

Thanks again and I love your charger pic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok for anyone who comes across this post with the same problem, I came back to post the resolution to my problem (I hate when people ask for help and never come back to update everyone so people with the same problem know what to do).

Apparently the problem was the Starter Relay! The Starter Relay is located in the fuse box under the hood, in slot #9. If you try to buy it from a parts store they will have to order it, so go buy it from your local Dodge Dealership's Parts Center. The part# is 05269988AA The cost was $15.75 plus tax it was $16.86.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
919 Posts
What about the error codes? Did the camshaft sensor really need replacement? I'd try not to take advice from Autozone employees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@soxfan4eva

Nah man, I didn't change the crankshaft sensor. The car's cpu may have triggered those codes as a result of the starter relay not distributing the power/circuits properly. So far so good....the Charger cranking and starting precisely!

Damn it feels good too!

This does not mean the crankshaft sensor is never at fault though. That sensor can prevent the car from starting as well. The car is doing great so for now I'm not going to mess with it.

Peace

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
Ok for anyone who comes across this post with the same problem, I came back to post the resolution to my problem (I hate when people ask for help and never come back to update everyone so people with the same problem know what to do).

Apparently the problem was the Starter Relay! The Starter Relay is located in the fuse box under the hood, in slot #9. If you try to buy it from a parts store they will have to order it, so go buy it from your local Dodge Dealership's Parts Center. The part# is 05269988AA The cost was $15.75 plus tax it was $16.86.

Good Luck!
Kudos! Thanks for think about others.

I edited the title. That will help also.

·
Registered
716 Posts

Good Luck!
Thanks for coming back and the info. How did you end up diagnosing that one? Was there a way to jump the wires at the starter or something?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Nah man, I didn't change the crankshaft sensor. The car's cpu may have triggered those codes as a result of the starter relay not distributing the power/circuits properly. So far so good....the Charger cranking and starting precisely!

Damn it feels good too!

This does not mean the crankshaft sensor is never at fault though. That sensor can prevent the car from starting as well. The car is doing great so for now I'm not going to mess with it.

Peace
I think your intuition on the crank and cam sensors was correct. It would be next to imposible for both to fault and throw a code at the same time. I'm not sure that even a faulty wiring harness could cause that. I'll have to look at my schematics to see if those 2 circuits run through the same wiring harness and/or conncetor to the CPU.

Something that might cause these false codes to be thrown and your delayed starting problem is a faulty ground.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Good Luck!
Did you test the original Starter Relay prior to purchasing the new one? The only reason I ask is because I had EXACTLY all of the same symptoms that your car had. I have already tested the starter relay for continuity and it is fine. So my guess is that the problem my 08 has may be different. Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Supanovah, the starter relay did the trick and my car is running again. How sweet it is. Beats taking it to the dealer and paying $100's of dollars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Supanovah ! My car had been giving me this problem off and on for a couple of years now. After finding this thread, problem solved ! This forum and the people on here rock !!!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
234 Posts
This really should be a sticky. A quick google search will prove that this issue has happened to many, many '08 owners. For several years I had this problem intermittently under warranty, of course every time i went to the dealer, the problem didn't appear so they did nothing. These past few weeks (car at 47k miles) sometimes it would take 5 minutes for the thing to start. Replaced the starter relay, voila, car starts immediately every time. Chrysler really should have recalled these relays.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for coming back and the info. How did you end up diagnosing that one? Was there a way to jump the wires at the starter or something?
I had the same issue with my 2009 Charger. Since there are three identical relays in the fuse box, I took the starter one out and replaced it with the wiper one...cranked up...so I knew it was the starter relay. I also, as a precaution, got a new run/start at #22. I have had no worries.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks SuperNova
I had been figting this for a week, replaced the relay ($20 @ NAPA Auto Parts Part Number: ECH AR533) and the car starts right up. Thanks Again!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank You!

I've been messing with my 08 for 3 days with this issue and had an appointment with the dealer set for tomorrow. Found this thread, swapped the wiper relay for the starter relay and boom! Problem solved! Will buy new relay tomorrow. Thanks!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts