Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a 2008 Charger with a lifetime powertrain warranty and apparently I missed a inspection after my 5 years in service that has voided it. There was no notification sent regarding this expiration and despite the fact that every oil change done on this car in it's 34K miles has been done at the Dodge Dealer no one mentioned that I was due for an inspection. That is a really crappy way to get out from under this warranty. I am pretty ticked off to find this out. I am about to be an ex-Dodge owner permanently.

Anyone seek legal counsel on this issue yet? This was a big reason we got this, I knew that it would spend most the time in the garage and we were planning on owning this car for 20+ years. There should have been some kind of mention of this either by mail or at the dealership when I am in for oil changes. That is THE reason I have been taking it to the dealership to get the oil changed in the first place. What a crock!

:confused:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Bummer dude. Don't know of a way out of it other than the old pleading the case to the company and see what they have to say.

You really never have to use the dealer for service, but you probably assumed they were there to really help instead of just moving you along the line to the register.

It is a crock. Good luck with it..

Griz

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
So, I bought a 2008 Charger with a lifetime powertrain warranty and apparently I missed a inspection after my 5 years in service that has voided it. There was no notification sent regarding this expiration and despite the fact that every oil change done on this car in it's 34K miles has been done at the Dodge Dealer no one mentioned that I was due for an inspection. That is a really crappy way to get out from under this warranty. I am pretty ticked off to find this out. I am about to be an ex-Dodge owner permanently.

Anyone seek legal counsel on this issue yet? This was a big reason we got this, I knew that it would spend most the time in the garage and we were planning on owning this car for 20+ years. There should have been some kind of mention of this either by mail or at the dealership when I am in for oil changes. That is THE reason I have been taking it to the dealership to get the oil changed in the first place. What a crock!

:confused:
Not to be that guy, but it is up to you to make sure you take your car in every five years, it's not the dealership's responsibility. Mine sent me something after I took mine in for the five year check up. It would have been nice if they gave you a head's up but to blame them for you not taking your own car in is sort of your fault man...it sucks I know, sorry man but I think you're SOL with any legal counsel. You signed the papers and all for the warranty that states you have to bring it in every five years.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just curious to know if you may have moved since you bought the car?
It is a bummer that the warranty has been cancelled. I agree that the dealer should have informed you at the last oil change about the inspection coming up.
Just curious as to why this would make you an ex Dodge owner. Do you hate the car and are about to sell it? Has it caused you a lot of trouble? Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Way back when they first offered this warranty, I think I said something to the affect "Chrysler won't pay off on the "lifetime" warranty".

It was a marketing campaign they knew would not cost them much of anything at all.

What went wrong with your '08

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
How did you find out that your warranty was void? Are you currently having a powertrain issue with your car? Please PM me your VIN, your name with current address and which dealer you have been going to.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
^^Exactly. Before assuming Chrysler is an evil corporation just talk to customer service. Go up the chain til someone listens.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the dealer send me the records for my oil changes and apparently even though I take it to them exclusively the last oil change was way before my 5 years ran up. Take into consideration that in the last 2 years I have put about 1000 miles on this car so it doesn't leave the garage much. At present, there is nothing wrong with the powerrtrain so it's not a matter of being denied, it was just a surprise that I found out when calling customer service on the remote start issue.

Yes, I should have been keeping up with it. I should have been keeping up with the inspection too but when you drive it once every 6 months or so it's hard to keep up with some of that stuff.

Yes, I moved but Dodge has my new address, they confirmed it when I called them.

Why become an ex-Dodge owner? Becuase one of the reasons I got this car was for the warranty. My first choice was Mercedes but since they built this, lifetime warranty and it's Orange....I got the Charger. Now that the warranty is gone there is no reason for me to keep it.

Did I screw up? Probably but I was under the impression (salesman told me) that getting my oil changed at the dealer would take care of the inspection that was required. Did I read the documentation? No. So, while they are changing oil they would recognize any abuse, why is a seperate inspection needed anyway. It's just a shady way to get out of a warranty if you ask me.

At the end of the day, I am free to take my business anywhere and whether I am right or wrong I am not going to buy another Dodge because of this. I would rather get a 5 year 100K warranty that works by getting my oil changed at the dealer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to be that guy, but it is up to you to make sure you take your car in every five years, it's not the dealership's responsibility. Mine sent me something after I took mine in for the five year check up. It would have been nice if they gave you a head's up but to blame them for you not taking your own car in is sort of your fault man...it sucks I know, sorry man but I think you're SOL with any legal counsel. You signed the papers and all for the warranty that states you have to bring it in every five years.
Understood, unfortunately (or fortunately) this car sits in the garage 99.9% of the time and we just get it out on nice weekends when we want to cruise around so it's not on my mind all the time. Since the inspection window ran out I have put less than 1000 miles on the car (except for the last 2 weekends we added 800). The last oil change was before the 5 years ran up so I wasn't even in for service near the window anyway. It's my fault but like I said, this thing is just sitting in a garage and not on my mind. Its really tough to remember something like that 5 years after a purchase and considering the loads of people online who have the same problem I would say that I am in good company. Right or wrong, I am not on the forums regular and am not in a group, it just sucks for people like me who have other things going on in life and let this slip.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just checked the records on the website which I am registered and the last service was in 03/2012 and I still have 2000 miles to go for the next service. That was a year before the "Inspection" window so I was just not there during the time that this would have been required.

So, guess it's not the dealers fault.

For the record, even if they told me back in 2008 when I bought this car, there is no way I would have remembered 5 years later. I registered on the website before this was due and if they tried to communicate to me I never got it. This is something that I would have been on top of had I known or remembered.

Guess this is a case of owner issues. It sucks that my lifetime warranty is gone.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Understood, unfortunately (or fortunately) this car sits in the garage 99.9% of the time
I have never understood why people pay thousands of dollars for cars just to let them sit.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have never understood why people pay thousands of dollars for cars just to let them sit.
Some do it for the "collectors" option and some just don't drive their faves all that much. You should see the touring sized Harleys that are 15 yrs old with 1100 miles on them.. LOL..

Griz

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would do a little research & get the name of the zone rep or someone else at Chrysler corporate. My son had a couple of issues (not warranty but picky stuff that even I thought they would be justified in not fixing) and he got a hold of someone & explained the situation & they did way more than I thought anyone would to keep him happy.
I would at least try to emphasize to that person that it appears that they are trying to escape the warranty on a technicality rather that for any substantial negligence on your part.
If that person can't be swayed, I'd keep going above him/her until someone does. By the way, if you succeed, you can still sell the car (with warranty if it's transferable)

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
This has been documented before on the forum. And as mentioned, it's in the warranty paperwork. Is it something that is easily overlooked or forgotten about? Sure, but as mentioned it was one of those marketing things to get people to buy cars that I'm sure the bean counters at Chrysler ensured them would not cost much money due to people neglecting to get the 5 year inspection or transfer of ownership which also cancels the lifetime warranty.

As far as your oil change interval, not only is there a mileage interval, but also a time frame interval you need to follow. So even if you don't get 3000 miles on the car in three years you are still supposed to follow an scheduled oil change interval based on timeframe. IIRC it's like every 6 months regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have moved a couple times since I bought my car and I have updated my address on file with the dealership. I read somewhere that the lifetime powertrain warranty would be voided if the 5 year check wasn't completed within 2 months of the 5 year in service anniversary. They said they would send a notice when it was due, but I never got anything. I never really expected them to send anything, so I just tried to remember. I had it checked 2 weeks ago so I'm still covered for another 5 years. Tomorrow my car turns 5.

Anyways, anyone else with the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty should check thier paper work and get it checked within 2 months of the 5 year in service date. It's a free check, just have to have it done.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We spent thousands of dollars to wear it out but after my wife drove it for 2 years and one really bad door ding later, we started carpooling. Since then it's just not getting any seat time. I do drive it on trips a few times a year and every few weeks I'll get it out and drive it around a bit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
^^^What he said. Sounds like he may be able to help
I actually got a message from Chrysler on this board but it's been 2 months since I was on the board.....I hope I didn't miss an opportunity to get this right. I gave my phone and email this time!!

Car still looks and drives brand new. If I can get my extension for the inspection I am going to pay to find out what is causing the remote start not to work. That one is driving me batty!!

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Is the check engine light on? If so that is why the remote start will not work. I have even heard of a code being stored in the computer but the check engine light was not on. Certain problems with the engine and the remote disables. I would take it to an auto parts store and have them check it for a code.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts