Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought a headlight bulb for my 2007 Charger online and the bulb I received is a right angle type while the one I removed from the car is a straight type
Are these two types compatible ?
It's a bit difficult to install so I am not sure if it's because it's not the same as the original or I can't find the right slot for it
The headlight I have is the one with the magnifier type so if it's not centered exactly the headlight is pretty much useless since it's not projecting any light It may as well be just another parking light

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sounds like you've got the wrong bulb there. I think you'll find your car takes a 9006XS, which is a straight base, and what you bought was a 9006, which is a 90º right angle base.

They are not compatible and you shouldn't try to force a 9006 into a 9006XS application.

But double check your owner's manual to be sure.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for checking
That's what I ordered 9006XS but I received a 9006 HB4 55w
I guess I will try to return it

The pattern seems to be the same so it should fit but putting them side by side the right angle one is a little shorter by about 1/4 to 3/8" so that would also explain why not much light is projected because it's probably out of focus

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
No problem.

The good news is you can pick up a pair of Bosch 9006XSs for ten bucks on that big website named for a river in South America.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I explained the problem to the seller and they will send me the correct one and said I can keep the wrong one so hopefully the correct one will work as it should

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I received the right type but it would still not fit in the housing so I looked at it more carefully and I noticed a small notch on one of the 3 tabs so figured that's probably why it's not going in
So I used my dremel to make a similar notch on the new one and than I was able to work it in but it was tough even so because I had to push hard while trying to turn it

I guess they have to make it just a little different to avoid a lawsuit perhaps

If I knew about that trick I probably could have used the right angled one even though the length is sligthtly off I will probably modify it and put it in the glove box for use as a temporary fix if I need it

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
So I received the right type but it would still not fit in the housing so I looked at it more carefully and I noticed a small notch on one of the 3 tabs so figured that's probably why it's not going in
So I used my dremel to make a similar notch on the new one and than I was able to work it in but it was tough even so because I had to push hard while trying to turn it

I guess they have to make it just a little different to avoid a lawsuit perhaps

If I knew about that trick I probably could have used the right angled one even though the length is sligthtly off I will probably modify it and put it in the glove box for use as a temporary fix if I need it
I would triple-check this setup. Check the owner's manual to be sure the correct bulb is the 9006XS, check the number on the old bulb you took out, and verify the the new bulb is a 9006XS. You should not have to trim the correct bulb to get it to fit. Usually, a notch like you're describing is there to prevent incorrect re-lamping. If it's intentional and you know exactly what you're getting into, that's one thing,

If the new bulbs aren't a name brand like Phillips, Hella, Sylvania, Wagner or Bosch, I'd be concerned that they may be marked incorrectly.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at the original light bulb and that was a Sylvania brand
The one I got is an EIKO brand
I guess the 9006XS part number is not enough It has to be a special type

I will go with the Sylvania brand next time
Thanks for your help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts