Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was coming home Monday night and the car just shut off. I have changed the starter relay, Crankshaft sensor, Camshaft sensor ,checked all the fuses and made sure the battery was good and still wont start. Sprayed starting fluid and it turns on but thw n shuts off. Fuel pump turns on but it's like the car is not getting any gas to the engine. Any ideas on to what might be wrong with it?

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
If it runs on the starter fluid, then it's likely either the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay. Since the relay is about $12 on that computer auction web site and takes all of two minutes to change, I'd start with that. It should be the relay closest to the right rear tail lamp in your trunk, but check your owner's manual to verify.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Fuel pump(s) would be my next suspect to clear. A fuel pressure test should tell you if the pumps are working or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Replaced fuel pump map semsor starter car will not start . start dies in 2 sec will not start again. Try to start it with starter fluid and it would not start.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Replaced fuel pump map semsor starter car will not start . start dies in 2 sec will not start again. Try to start it with starter fluid and it would not start.
sounds like a spark or timing issue. Verify the sparkplugs are firing as engine is turned over with starter.

how many miles on engine? Has timing belt ever been replaced?

·
Registered
16 Posts
sounds like a spark or timing issue. Verify the sparkplugs are firing as engine is turned over with starter.

how many miles on engine? Has timing belt ever been replaced?
131,000 miles. No timing belt has never been replaced . thermostat was replaced on it and it worked the next day and would start but wouldnt go as fast to starting then dieng right away . it ran fine before the thermostat was changed

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
131,000 miles. No timing belt has never been replaced . thermostat was replaced on it and it worked the next day and would start but wouldnt go as fast to starting then dieng right away . it ran fine before the thermostat was changed
its tempting to think something happened during the thermostat service that is causing this, but I’m not sure what could have been done replacing the thermostat that would keep it from running.

Start with the basics:
1) pull any DTCs stored in the PCM to see if they can direct the diagnosis one way or another.
2) verify the engine is getting spark
3) verify the engine is correctly timed, ie that the timing belt hasn’t slipped a tooth or two.

Number three may be labor intensive. That would involve pulling that front timing cover and making sure the cams’ timing marks are aligned properly at TDC on #1 power stroke

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I put a scan tool these are the codes i got po481
I have an x on dtc , cat, egr, hri, evap, hcal, pd dtc. They all have x by them
the monitors not being ready is expected if you recently unhooked the battery.

the fan relay code might be expected if the fan wasn’t plugged back in after the recent thermostat service. More importantly though, if the fan hasn’t been working, the engine may have overheated, and that would cause all kinds of problems, one of which could be an inability to stay running.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
P0481 is not keeping it from running. Like Gert says, it's likely a spark problem.

Next thing I would try, is to put the old fuel pump relay back in and swap out the Auto-Shut-Down relay with the new one. If that doesn't resolve the problem, check your coil packs for spark.

Reactions: GertFrobe

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
After the thermostat was changed vehicle was not driven again its been sitting ever since
An overheat can be ruled out then, but don’t forget about that fan code when/if the engine’s ability to start and run is restored. Once it’s running, you’ll want the fan to be able to come on to prevent an overheat.

So it’s back to verifying the plugs are firing I think. If starting fluid didn’t do anything, spark is the main thing to check next. It will be the easiest to verify.

If it’s getting spark, then timing would be next on the list I think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts