Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help! I own a 2007 dodge charger SE 2.7L. Two days ago I drove my car and went about my day with no issues until yesterday. Yesterday I went to leave to start my day until I couldn’t, I started my car with no issues and I went to shift into drive except when I shifted there was no normal amount of resistance that you would expect when shifting into drive from park. The shifter knob moved completely freely as if it were connected to nothing. This only does this when the car is on however. When the car is running, the shifter knob moves freely even without pressing the brake but when the car is off it doesn’t move (as you would expect). I’ve searched all over the internet to no avail. I am really at a loss in terms of what to do now or what to look for in terms of trouble shooting, I really don’t have the money to take it to the shop and am hoping to find a fix that I can do myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please help! I own a 2007 dodge charger SE 2.7L. Two days ago I drove my car and went about my day with no issues until yesterday. Yesterday I went to leave to start my day until I couldn’t, I started my car with no issues and I went to shift into drive except when I shifted there was no normal amount of resistance that you would expect when shifting into drive from park. The shifter knob moved completely freely as if it were connected to nothing. This only does this when the car is on however. When the car is running, the shifter knob moves freely even without pressing the brake but when the car is off it doesn’t move (as you would expect). I’ve searched all over the internet to no avail. I am really at a loss in terms of what to do now or what to look for in terms of trouble shooting, I really don’t have the money to take it to the shop and am hoping to find a fix that I can do myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
I must also add that it is stuck in park and that shifting does absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Broken shift interlock cable?

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
55 Posts
There's YouTube videos on how to release the shifter if it gets stuck, there's apparently plastic clip like things down in between the shifter box and the console, the prime culprit is usually the one towards the front of the car, you have to take a screwdriver to it or something I can't remember what all they said but those clips break and they recommend replacing them with metal ones, I been meaning to do this someday before it happens to me but it does happen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's YouTube videos on how to release the shifter if it gets stuck, there's apparently plastic clip like things down in between the shifter box and the console, the prime culprit is usually the one towards the front of the car, you have to take a screwdriver to it or something I can't remember what all they said but those clips break and they recommend replacing them with metal ones, I been meaning to do this someday before it happens to me but it does happen
no, the shifter isnt stuck. It’s the inverse, I can move the shifter but the vehicle itself will not leave from the park position

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
55 Posts
no, the shifter isnt stuck. It’s the inverse, I can move the shifter but the vehicle itself will not leave from the park position
In that case it sounds like a linkage has come loose or broke, these cars have a common issue with the shifter being stuck or broken, I think there was even a recall on them but I'm not sure, but there's springs and plastic parts under there that break all the time, best bet is to pull the whole shifter unit up and have a look, I don't know how hard they are to work on because thankfully I haven't had an issue with mine, yet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts