Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did all the 06 chargers come with keyless entry and a fob or key with that stuff built in? Mine came with the key shown here. Well two of them, no fob or anything. Been kicking around getting remote start and keyless entry put in but wondering if maybe I already have it and the PO lost the keys. These keys arent marked Crysler or Dodge at all.

Also i dunno if this means anything but the keys only work one direction in door, trunk and ignition. If it wont turn you flip it over and its good to go.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1389620510.604369.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yep, Illco is an aftermarket key, what do you know of the history of the car?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Go to amazon for the key, much cheaper. Do you have two working keys? If so you can program the keys yourself

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go to amazon for the key, much cheaper. Do you have two working keys? If so you can program the keys yourself
I have two of the keys shown, both start the car fine.

The car was never a repo. She bought it new, i bought it from her cash. She bought an escape, didnt want to get in and out of the charger anymore.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everything i see on amazon is just the shell, i figured it would come as a whole key that would need to be cut and programmed. Cant put my key into a shell

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
With two working keys, you should be able to program new keys like the one pictured above, and the programming of the remote locking feature is a DIY thing also, as I recall.

Lets try a test. sounds crazy, but tightly wrap the grey plastic thin in heavy duty tin foil, then start the car. If I'm right, the car will start fine, then die after a couple of seconds. this will verify that the factory anti-theft is still working, and hasn't been bypassed. Oh, and don't have your second key anywhere nearby.

Does anyone know how to activate the alarm with just a key? I think it was lock the door by turning the key, then making the same locking motion again, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With two working keys, you should be able to program new keys like the one pictured above, and the programming of the remote locking feature is a DIY thing also, as I recall.

Lets try a test. sounds crazy, but tightly wrap the grey plastic thin in heavy duty tin foil, then start the car. If I'm right, the car will start fine, then die after a couple of seconds. this will verify that the factory anti-theft is still working, and hasn't been bypassed. Oh, and don't have your second key anywhere nearby.

Does anyone know how to activate the alarm with just a key? I think it was lock the door by turning the key, then making the same locking motion again, but I'm not sure.
I will give the foil thing a try today. The spare is with my other half so no worries there.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Just checked, no way to activate the factory alarm without the fob. The Sentry Key antitheft system is still in play, or should be, it has no connection with the fob and the door locks.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
I will give the foil thing a try today. The spare is with my other half so no worries there.

If it does die, do NOT do it more than once. If you do that three times, it will see it as a theft attempt and lock out the engine management computer so that only the dealership can unlock it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it does die, do NOT do it more than once. If you do that three times, it will see it as a theft attempt and lock out the engine management computer so that only the dealership can unlock it.
Good to know. Thanks for the help I will report back

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pardon me if I am extremely skeptical that she lost BOTH original keys. I still think it was a repo (at some point in its life).
Theres nothing to repo, it was never financed. She paid cash for it, in full when her husband passed. Spare keys are lost all the time. I have only once owned a car before this one where i got two keys. And a primary key is really easy to loose. I would be happy to ask her for you. I do a lot of repos and seizures where people have non factory keys or missing spares. And shes old they loose their teeth too.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Wrapped the key in foil. Car started, died in few seconds as expected. Took foil off and its working again.
Good, so your factory antitheft is working. Since that's %99 of the reason driveaway thefts are almost nonexistant in these cars, thats a good thing.

06, I disagree, lots of people, especially older folks lose both keys. That's assuming, of course, that she even got that second key at the time of purchase.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts