Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added fuel and no time afterwards it seems it died and only starts when spraying starter fluid. There's also a lightning bolt on the dashboard and while trying to start with starter fluid the pedal has no response. Can anyone help

·
Registered
125 Posts
Lightning bolt can indicate a throttle body issue. Does the throttle body blade cycle with ignition on but not starting the car? If it doesn’t, that would be my first guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Have the battery load tested to rule out any issues there. If it comes back less than 100%, time for a new one.

Don

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Try a battery disconnect reset then. Remove negative terminal, depress brake pedal for 30 seconds, and then reattach and fire up. If it should start, let it idle for a bit before driving to allow it to relearn fresh parameters. Is the battery new, or have you had it tested recently? I had a fellow the other day who told me he had had the battery recently checked. He had it rechecked, and it came back bad. A failed/failing battery can cause all kinds of electrical gremlins that can have you running down all kinds of rabbit holes.

Don

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Dodge Chargers (2006 MY) were known to have a problem with the fuel vapor recovery system following refueling. The fuel system allowed an overfill condition after refueling and it caused the engines to stall.
The problem was traced to a multi function control valve fuel shutoff float in the fuel tank. The float could get into a stuck open position, allowing an overfill condition. For the 2006 models, Chrysler extended the warranty on the fuel tank to lifetime coverage.

If you have a OBD2/CAN scanner, you can scan to see if any diagnostic codes are being logged. I would contact your local dealership or Dodge regarding the lifetime coverage on the fuel tank and see if your car qualifies.

https://fcacommunity.force.com/Dodge/s/article/How-do-I-contact-Dodge1

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
When fueling and the pump shuts off, Do you top it up to get to the next dollar or get it "Full"
Don't, that overloads the vapor canistor with fuel and floods the engine as soon as a purge test is run and you will stall.
Only ever fuel until the pump auto shuts off and never top up.
If it does stall on you, turn key off, open door, close door (power cycle) then hold pedal to the floor and crank for 10 seconds (clears flood mode) . Then relase pedal and try a normal start. If it starts, its the vapor canistor flooded wuth fuel issue.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
DJ:
Thanks for refreshing on this. I had forgotten about it. Hopefully, they still have the tanks on hand if he needs one.

Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts