Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stalling issues

Hey new to the forums! I have a 2006 Charger Daytona with about 54,500 miles. For the past month my car has been stalling on me. Stop lights, driving 30, idling, any conditions it would stall. When it stalls I get the )z( symbol. I had the PCM replaced, along with the cam/crank sensors, and had the throttle body cleaned. It ran good for a day or two and then the problem came back. I recently had the fuel tank replaced which was under warranty. But they wouldn't change the charcoal canister because it wasn't "saturated." When I picked it up it was stalling worse than before. The car stalled two times right in front of the tech who gave me the keys. They hooked it up and they said the PCM needed to be replaced again. I got it replaced (under warranty) and the car drives better. One thing though, my car still stalls when I start it for the first time of the day unless I give it gas to keep the RPMs up. Also sometimes on my first morning commute the car will lose power for half a second then turn right back on. I get no codes doing the key dance. It seems to run good once it is warmed up or driven for awhile. I am just confused right now.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I'm not sure how complete the "key dance" is in showing pending codes. A OBD2/CAN scanner plugged into the OBD2 port will show active codes and pending codes. Sometimes a pending code needs to repeat itself within a specified time or cycle to get posted as an active code.
There are a couple of easy checks to make on the PCV and throttle body to see if they're contributing to the problem.

Check the PCV valve to see if it is clogged or sticking. On the 5.7L it's on the top & right side of the intake manifold. The PCV valve is sealed to the intake manifold with two O-rings. Remove the PCV valve by rotating counter-clockwise
90 degrees until locating tabs have been freed. After tabs have cleared, pull the valve straight up from intake manifold.
Check condition of the two valve O-rings (cracking, too loose, etc ...). Shake the PCV valve and see if the check-ball inside is moving freely and if the PCV valve is gummed up.
Replace the PCV valve if it, or the O-rings, are questionable. Apply engine oil to the O-rings before installing the old or new PCV valve.
To install the PCV valve, place PCV valve into intake manifold and rotate 90 degrees clockwise.

With the engine at idle, check the throttle body by lightly tapping with your hand on the side of the throttle body where the ETC motor is located. Listen for the idle to raise. The throttle body should be replaced if the idle fluctuates while lightly tapping on the ETC motor.
Just be careful when the engine is running and stay away from the radiator fans and the pulley/belts.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I am now getting a P2172 code. Any suggestions? Ill check for a vacuum leak tomorrow morning.
Here is what to look for;Large Vacuum Leak
- Fault MAP Sensor
- MAP Sensor harness is open or shorted
- MAP Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Throttle Body

could be MAP sensor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could not find a vacuum leak so I will replace the Map Sensor next. My fuel milage has been around 7-11 mpg (city) and 15-16 (highway). Also when I am at idle my mpg moniter will keep dropping like (9.1, 9.0, 8.9,....). I'm thinking map sensor. Hopefully lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been stalling out a little more frequently now. I replaced the MAP sensor and it has been continuing to do the same. I keep reading about this issue and a lot of people never get it resolved. I also haven't recieved any codes lately. Even when it stalls there is ZERO codes and NO CEL. I am Stumped and I love this car. But I'm thinking it'll have future engine problems. Hate to see her go

1 - 6 of 6 Posts