Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just signed up for the forum to ask this. I've recently been looking into getting my first car, and I've always loved the Charger. The look, the space, the power, the car just speaks to me, so it was the first thing I looked for. I've found a 3.5L V6 2006 Charger SE for a really good price, but recently heard about the issues with the Chrysler engines blowing up. Are these problems bad enough to hold me back from getting a Charger as my first car? Maybe I just need to look for a different year? Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2008 with the 3.5, and its on it's third engine. However, me and my father chocked that up to my mom dogging it when it was her daily driver, as the third engine has lasted three years with no problems with him and now me driving it. Overall, don't beat it like a SRT and it will keep driving.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
2006 was the first year of the vehicle, so I think it had a little more bugs than other years!

I would go for the newest year you could afford.

I was also going to make sure you get the 3.5l V6, but you already addressed that! The 2.7l is too small for the vehicle!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
A 3.5 Charger is a good choice for a first car. Enough power to get you around and actually get out of it's own way but not enough to get you in trouble. If it was a 2.7 I'd say run but the 3.5 isn't bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. It's at 198000 km, but I like the style of the car so much I might just bite the bullet and get it despite what problems I might encounter down the road. Anything you guys would recommend for maintenance to avoid blowing the engine? It'll be my first car so I honestly don't have much experience at all.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Keep up with the maintenance, so change the oil religiously every 3,000 miles with a quality oil and filter and change the plugs and air filter when the service calls for it. Other than that there's not much you can do.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Keep up with the maintenance, so change the oil religiously every 3,000 miles with a quality oil and filter and change the plugs and air filter when the service calls for it. Other than that there's not much you can do.

This for sure. Will warn you now, if it hasn't been done yet you'll be rebuilding the front end.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Hey guys, just signed up for the forum to ask this. I've recently been looking into getting my first car, and I've always loved the Charger. The look, the space, the power, the car just speaks to me, so it was the first thing I looked for. I've found a 3.5L V6 2006 Charger SE for a really good price, but recently heard about the issues with the Chrysler engines blowing up. Are these problems bad enough to hold me back from getting a Charger as my first car? Maybe I just need to look for a different year? Any advice would be appreciated!
I have been driving for over 40 years and have never blown up a Mopar... 1 Chevy V6, two Honda four bangers and a Nissan V6, but never a Mopar!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts