Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I’m at my wits end here. Changed my timing belt/water pump about 2 months ago. Since then, I keep getting this stupid flashing red lightning bolt. I’ve broken it down twice and checked the timing. Spot on. Installed new throttle body, throttle body control sensors, all new spark plugs/coils. No vacuum leaks. There’s no rhyme or reason to the red bolt triggering. Car runs fine, but as soon as the red bolt flashes, it feels like I’ve taken my foot off the accelerator momentarily, but then continues running fine. I turn off my car, turn it back on and the red flashing bolt is gone. I’ve gone as far as 275 miles and as little as 15 miles, before red bolt starts flashing again. Somebody said to try replacing gas pedal. Ordered new gas pedal and installed. I can’t calibrate new pedal at all. Red bolt flashes non stop as long as new pedal is plugged in and RPM’s stay at about 2000. Once I plug the old pedal back in, red bolt goes away and idle back to normal 600 RPM’s. I’ve tried all calibration steps, disconnecting battery, etc. my car just doesn’t like the new pedal. Does anyone have any experience with this, that could help me? Flashing red lightning bolt is driving me crazy and now so is new gas pedal!

FYI: new gas pedal brand is Standard Motor Products, ordered from Rock Auto, guaranteed to work with my car.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Mopars do not like aftermarket electronics (especially oxygen sensors)- best to stick with factory parts when dealing with the electrical bits. Have you tried new crank & cam position sensors yet ? ( Mopar ones of course)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mopars do not like aftermarket electronics (especially oxygen sensors)- best to stick with factory parts when dealing with the electrical bits. Have you tried new crank & cam position sensors yet ? ( Mopar ones of course)
Thank you very much krautmaster! Yes, I’ve done the new position sensors, BUT I think you may be right about the aftermarket electronics. I called dealership for the part this morning and they had to order it. Should be in tomorrow morning. Once I swap out with new pedal, I’ll reply with an update. Thank you again, for your help.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,895 Posts
Have you tried a battery disconnect for 10 minutes?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried a battery disconnect for 10 minutes?
Thank you for replying georgiapi. Yes, I tried the battery disconnect several times for several lengths of time, as little as 5 minutes and as much as 15 minutes. After I get the manufacturer pedal tomorrow from the Dodge dealership and swap it out, I’ll post an update, after several miles of driving with it.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,895 Posts
Yeh, just checking, if I unplug my TB without pulling battery cable its bonked on startup. Stalls in reverse. I cycle the batt cable or do a HPTuners TB relearn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Okay, I got the new pedal from local Dodge dealership and installed it this past Saturday (12/5/2020). I’ve gone approx. 75 miles since and no red bolt. With the old pedal, I’ve gone as far as 275 miles before red bolt starts flashing, so I’m not letting myself get too excited. One thing I can say though, the new pedal is a LOT smoother than my old one. The old one felt kinda sticky and when pressing/depressing it felt like it would intermittently stick going up and down. Not smooth at all. The first thing I noticed about the aftermarket brand was that it had a “sticky” feel to it as well, which made me think that these pedals are just that way. Well, the new Mopar pedal is VERY smooth and consistent all the way through. For now, all seems fine. If the red bolt happens to return, I’ll definitely update this thread. Thank you both for your help, advice and taking the time to help a newbie.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last update: it looks like it was the pedal all along. I have now gone 502.7 miles on new pedal and no flashing lightning bolt. It was definitely a process to get to this stage, but just like most problems it was a process of elimination and trial by error. Thank you all for your support!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Glad it worked out. On my 2005 Magnum 165k, we replaced the throttle body and it acted up again and went straight to replacing the computer. All works good now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad it worked out. On my 2005 Magnum 165k, we replaced the throttle body and it acted up again and went straight to replacing the computer. All works good now.
Wow! You had the computer replaced? I bet that was a pretty penny. But well worth it! I like the look and body style of the 05 magnums. I’m glad you figured yours out within two steps. It took me quite a while. Btw, the dealership was a joke. They tried to tell me the computer needed an update. Charged me $180 and didn’t work. Took it back and they said it was most likely a cracked head. Tried to tell me I needed a new engine. Had to do my own research to finally figure out it was the pedal.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,895 Posts
Don't cha love how when they guess wrong they keep the money and guess again?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was lucky. The mechanic I deal with Ive known for a coupe of years. He charged me for the throttle body, cause it was tossing wrong numbers, that was $450. The car was fine for 1 week, then acted up again, but didn't die out, just limp mode. He didn't want to mess with anything else and went to the cpu. We found one online for about $300, he didn't charge me for install or programming. Car works fine no issues. Then I bought 2020 Scat Pack. 😁 Yes, I still have the Maggy. Its my winter and hauling stuff vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts