Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! So I am a broke 17 yearold purchasing a Dodge Charger RT... I can afford a loaded 2006-10 Charger rt with the road & track package and NAV easy with no payments... I love the car and got my eye on a few of them with low miles, but I love the idea of having a 2011 RT. the new styling is great and I actually prefer the looks of a 2011 rt to the 2015 rt (the srt and scat pack is where the 2015 shines) However i've only found a couple I can afford and they aren't loaded with packages like the 06-10s. Leather is a must for me and I love the seats on the R&Ts/SRT8s from 06. I would love to hear opinions on what I should buy... I still like the interior of the 06-10s but mainly for nostalgia (my family used to have a 2011 challenger with the same-ish interior). would it be worth it to have an older car but loaded with packages? I plan to test drive both just haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Get the 2011 and don't look back. Normally I would recommend the no payment route but that 06-10 interior is absolute crap except for the seats. I just couldn't live with it. It is ghastly...and can be a rattle trap.

That being said it would depend on the mechanical condition more than anything.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
CJC:

My vote would be to hold off until you can get the newer car. I too like the '11-'14 style, hence my '14 R/T AWD. If you buy now just to get any Charger into your driveway, you will eventually wish you had waited (speaking from personal experience lol).

While you are at it, be sure to chat with your insurance guy/gal so you, know up front what that will cost you. In your age bracket, anything sporty especially with a V8 is not gonna be cheap.

I have found several cars for myself and others on autotrader.com. Consider it as a resource in your quest for a Charger.

Don

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'd go with the 2011. Interior finishes are much improved over the previous model. Radio is bluetooth compatible. And its a newer vehicle.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Ok I'll be the opposite. I say get what you can pay cash for. Get a 2009-10 over a 2006-08.

I like the exterior of 2011-14 ever so slightly more than the 2006-10, but I think the first gens look more muscle-y than the 11-14's, but think the latter look meaner.

If a premium interior is a must have for you, then get what you can afford. I liked my 2010 interior better than my 2013 interior. Here's the obvious reason though, I have a Super Bee. My 2010 had leather, moonroof, navigation, heated seats, a DVD player, and power everything. My Super Bee has none of that. I also like the throwback cluster on the first gens.

If it were up to me, I'd get a fully loaded 2006-10 R/T road and track if you can find one with lower miles in your price range. You can't go wrong either way, both are great cars.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank You

Thank you all for the replies, this was much more helpful than I thought it would be. I just test drove both this weekend however the 2011 I test drove had cloth seats so I couldn't be sure if I like it better comfort wise. I do like the look of the new interior over the 06-10s, but I'm in love with the seats on the 06-10s. The power was great on both of them but the newer did handle a bit better(Not a huge deal, If I wanted sports car handling I would have kept my Z4). I think I'm going to wait a little bit longer and see what my options are, if I can find a 2011 with leather in my price range I think I would have to take it. Also I test drove a 2018 Charger RT just for fun, I still prefer the look of the 2011-2014 but the sound of the 2018 is incredible. I noticed however that even though the 8 speed shifts quicker, I felt that the 5 speed has more oomf and shoves you back in your seat more when you romp on it. Am I crazy or do or you guys notice this as well?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thank you all for the replies, this was much more helpful than I thought it would be. I just test drove both this weekend however the 2011 I test drove had cloth seats so I couldn't be sure if I like it better comfort wise. I do like the look of the new interior over the 06-10s, but I'm in love with the seats on the 06-10s. The power was great on both of them but the newer did handle a bit better(Not a huge deal, If I wanted sports car handling I would have kept my Z4). I think I'm going to wait a little bit longer and see what my options are, if I can find a 2011 with leather in my price range I think I would have to take it. Also I test drove a 2018 Charger RT just for fun, I still prefer the look of the 2011-2014 but the sound of the 2018 is incredible. I noticed however that even though the 8 speed shifts quicker, I felt that the 5 speed has more oomf and shoves you back in your seat more when you romp on it. Am I crazy or do or you guys notice this as well?
Nah, the 8-Speed craps all over the 5-Speed in every way! :laugh2:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
It should, however my brother-in-law has the scat pack with the 8-speed, and he's yet to ever get away from me in my 5-speed. Even from a dig. And i just can't get use to his shifting ALL THE TIME. I like my 5-speed, jmo. :driving:

Reactions: Nickel9

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
^ This. :biggrinjester:

I drove a 2014 R/T and 2016 R/T back-to-back (also back when I bought my 3.6 as well) and the 8spd is by far and away superior in every sense. Plus its so smooth you don't even really hear or notice it shifting after a while so that's a moot point. Also, first gear felt way more brutal with the 8spd vs the 5spd from a stop so there's that too. The acceleration times may be similar but keep in mind the journey is also very important as evident by how much easier the 8spd is to live with every day. You're in the power band way more often and the fuel economy is much better. Lets face it, there is a reason why the ZF 8spd is used in so many vehicles in Europe...including high performance ones. I'm glad I didn't buy a used 2014 R/T like I had originally wanted because the 8spd makes all the difference to me. :bigthumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts