Charger Forums banner

Does the 2005-2010 charger r/t stock have the potential to resch a 9 second 1/8 mile?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum, but have picked up lots of info about my ride from here for a while now. Anyhow, I go to RaceLegal at Qualcomm Stadium every now and again to see what new mods actually do to my 1/8th mile times. So far i race in the fast class (i.e. one class above stock) where you compete to get as close to 9.5 seconds as possible without going faster. I ranked second place so far only because my qualifying time was 9.52 at 78.8 mph. The fastest i achieved was 9.42 at 79.8 mph, but that was my last pass when my gas was near empty.
The only mods i have done to my black 2006 Charger R/T thus far are as follows:
-MOPAR CAI
-MAGNA-FLOW CATBACK EXHAUST
-DIABLOSPORT INTUNE CAI 91 OCTANE TUNE (93 octane NOT available for some reason) also have the increased shift firmness on, throttle boost set to 10%, and rev limiter set to 6400 rpm.
-Im rolling with chrome 22" FOOSE Nitrous rims PLASTIDIP'd BLACK
-165 35r22 Falken tires
-DRILLED AND SLOTTED ROTORS (not big brakes)
-PLASTIDIP'd my emblems and Calipers green
I just want some advice on how i can inexpensively upgrade my car to beastly proportions, and what can i do CURRENTLY to increase my track times to get closer to 9 seconds?

You can see 2 of my races that i won at this url
My races ar at 2:20 and at 16:00
(the second race i verse a daytona and he was livid when my secret diablo tune was faster):rocker:

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

There are no 2005 Chargers.

2006-2008 R/T's have 340-350hp

2009+ have 370hp

I'm running a 2010 R/t with shorty headers, high flow cats, 2800 stall converter, cat-back exhaust and a CAI with custom tune.... I'm running 8.4 @84.7

That said, ditch the 22's. Get some 18's for the track, or better yet, some Mustang Cobra reps in 17X10.5 and get some drag radials.

What's your 60' time? Getting that down is key.

Read and become familiar with these threads:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48117

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94612

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I can and have run 7.88 @ 86.8 with my set up

·
Registered
747 Posts
Be careful with your rev limiter set so high. I had my tune just like yours and over time it worked pretty well until one day I matted the throttle, it wound up like normal to a resounding "POP", and a ding with the check engine light as it dropped into limp mode. Over-Revved and the trans went dead. All fixed with a key cycle and an OBD II scanner to clear the trans code, but it wasn't enjoyable.

282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks for the advic! I went to those threads and will try the ice thing, and the brake and gas to raise rpm before launch.
There are a few more things i want to know though.
Plum Crazy: is that car of yours an SRT8 or R/T
Jonny: explain what your 2800 stall converter is? And how have the shorty headers and highflow cats benefitted you? I only ask because i am in california and apparently i cant put any shorty headers or cats on, only catbacks

I will get the time sheets to post soon

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Jonny: explain what your 2800 stall converter is? And how have the shorty headers and highflow cats benefitted you? I only ask because i am in california and apparently i cant put any shorty headers or cats on, only catbacks
2800 stall converter allows the RPMs to go to 2800 before the converter stops slipping, and breaking loose the tires.

You can bring the RPMs up much higher at launch, leaving harder, as long as you can maintain traction!

It isn't much different on the street than stock, it "slips" a bit more than stock.

Shorty headers, I didn't notice anything.

The high flow cats added a nice kick, I liked it better with the catless mid pipes, but we must comply with annual inspections in NY... it was getting to be a pain changing them out twice a year.

I'm pretty sure the JBA shorty headers are CARB approved, 50 state legal.

They are a PITA to install. I did mine on a lift. About 6 hours, IIRC. I'm not sure I'd recommend them unless you don't mind spending $600+ for maybe 10hp.

p.s. Plum has a 5.7L

282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats your take on a vortech v3 supercharger? Is it worth it?
I saw plum crazy's 1/4 mile video and woW that baby goEs. How much is a good cam, what would the gains be, and what else would i have to do to the car for the cam to be of better use (i.e. under drive pulley, axle ratio increase, valves...)
Answer whenever guys, im only trying to get fast times and compete woth those god forsaken mustangs!!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
First thing that will make you faster is getting rid of those heavy wheels in the rear.

Get some 18" take-offs and make them into slicks for drag night.

Burn off the tread to where it's almost gone (don't get them too hot, they'll get hard). Almost as good as drag radials, lots cheaper.

282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Jonny Do you mean something like this?
AFS 1994 - 2004 Mustang 03 COBRA SVT Rear 17 x 10.5 Wheels Rim 2003 2002 2001 02
for $385?
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/AFS-1994-2004-Mustang-03-COBRA-SVT-Rear-17-x-10-5-Wheels-Rim-2003-2002-2001-02-/261327544343?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item3cd855e017&vxp=mtr>
and then purchase 2 drag radials? or were you saying buy regular tires and make them slicks by burning them out?

282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Additionally, the charger has
Bolt Pattern: 5x115
and these cobra rims have
Bolt Pattern: 5x114.3

282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aparently you can overheat your tranny and need a good tranny cooler to compensate for the heat

282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Depending on how deep your pockets are... I first went with stock worn out 18" Eagle GT tires I had and made them into poor man slicks on an extra set of stock 18" wheels I had. Worked way better than fresh tread tires...

I then bought some M&H Racemaster drag radials (275?) and a set of Cobra wheels (17X10.5) and currently use those.

The bolt patterns aren't exact, but will fit. The hub needs to be bored out a little to fit our hubs, if you don't have access to a machine shop, some people have ground it away by hand (not optimal or suggested).

Be aware, the 2006-2008 has smaller axles, and are prone to breaking with drag slicks/radials... you should be fine with normal tires/worn out tires/poor mans slicks.

I got a used Getrag 3.06 with axles for $800 + shipping off ebay. You need the axles and hubs, as well as the 392 coupler and front bolt (longer) for the differential.

I've heard people get Getrag 3.06's for $400 but I never found one when I was looking.

Having a 2006-2008, you can get a cam for much less than the 2009+ cars can...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts