Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I see a 2006 Banana yellow Hemi Daytona Charger for sale in my area, which is western Canada.

Now it gets cold here in the winter. I was wondering if anyone drives this car in the winter?

Is this an everyday sports car, or just a pleasure car?

Thanks

ALSO, the car in question has 75,000 km on it!!! This concerns me! Is there any way to tell if it was a rental? Any way to tell if that was city or highway miles? My concern is that it may have been driven very rough, leaving lingering problems for the new buyer to deal with. ( Any info you can give me would help!) The Charger is on sale all this month. It was listed at $25,900, now for $22,900)

So what do you think?

link: http://www.derrickdodge.ca/used/details.asp?sn=644613

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I love my TB but I did notice some traction issues from a standing start in the snow. Maybe some mods can help with that?

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Wouldn't be my first or second choice for a daily driver in a snowy climate. The traction control works OK and you'll benefit from dedicated snow tires in the winter, but it can get away from you pretty easily in the white stuff if you're not careful. 390 ft/lbs is a LOT of torque to manage on a slippery surface.

Best,

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I had difficulty driving in the snow this winter. I put the car in storage. I heard if you get a good set of snow tires you should be ok.

·
Registered
240 Posts
i had to drive the charger through this last winter and it wasn't terrible but i also had the stock michelin tires on it, i heard the lx's with some bridgestone blizzaks work pretty good together.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
I've got the same car, less the attention-getting paint. I'm in Windsor. I didn't have any real problems last winter, which had above-average snowfalls. Careful driving and you should be fine.

As for your car having been a rental, I'd strongly guess not. I can't imagine a rental facility picking up a numbered rarity to hand keys to people. Stranger things may have happened, but I'm skeptical.

·
Registered
23 Posts
...Is there any way to tell if it was a rental?

link: http://www.derrickdodge.ca/used/details.asp?sn=644613
First, how awesome would it be to go to Enterprise and see a Banana Dayton for rent :D.

Second, I am curious on what others say on this too, this will be my first winter with my R/T R&T. I did talk to others here in Iowa with the 3.5's and one with a 5.7 and they say with a good set of snow tires they can get most everywhere pretty well, but in real heavy snows, like 8"+, they don't usually take them out until the streets have been plowed, but most people without 4x4 trucks or SUVs aren't probably out either. I plan on buying a set of winter tires (probably Blizzak, a co-worker uses those on his beamer and it gets around good in most conditions, any heavy, deep snow, he just doesn't drive in it.) and see how it does in the winter.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I drove my car thru the last 2 winters. The first year I had the Michelins and it was awful. They did have 25,000 miles on them but they would not hook up at all. Last year I picked up a set Pirelli Ice Scopions. they did help a little. One thing that I did was put it in autostick and start out in second gear. That helped a lot.

Basically you just have to drive like an old lady anytime it snows.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
i've had the car through 2 winters and have had minimal problems. i found putting the car in manumatic and pulling out in 2nd helps greatly. i've had all seasonal tires on my car and i get back and forth to work on poorly maintained roads. i'd imagine dedicated winter tires would work well. i've have 4x4 cars that i've never used 4 wheel drive with and drove around in 2wd all winter. just depends on the tires. if you have access to 4wd i'd say get the charger and then you have a back-up if needed. i've never got stuck, i've been in spots were i needed to persuade the car to go forward, but never been stuck. hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
My Go Mango is on 22`s and I did fine in the winter and I live in Reno,NV. You should be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Western Canada where?

I'm in Calgary and drive my 2006 R/T R&T in winter.
Last year it was with the stock tires (not cool), but should be no problem with some better winter rubber.

While only the 3.5L V6, my wifes Maggie with Nokian WRG2's on it is the best car in the snow I've ever had (the thing is like a tank with those tires)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I had difficulty driving in the snow this winter. I put the car in storage. I heard if you get a good set of snow tires you should be ok.
I hope thats the case, I am not looking forward to winter here :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would be afraid to drive it in the winter with such a low ground clearance. Any gobs of frozen ice would take a toll on the front facia etc

·
Super Moderator
11,607 Posts
I've driven my car through two Canadian winters, no problems at all.

Get a set of Police Package steelies and some aggressive winter tread tires and you'll be fine, with a little common sense.

:driving:

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Tht car should be 18,990 MAX............

Nd Daytona drive really well in the snow. with a INtelligent driver.. you have to try to get it sideways....

But turn off ESP.......DIfferent story.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts