Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a second vehicle and really like the 2006-2007 Daytona's. They seem to be priced right as I scour the internet. I am hoping to land one with less than 100,000 on the odometer. Other than being concerned about them being driven hard and not maintained, is there anything mechanically or otherwise I should be looking for?

Also, it will be the vehicle my 18 yr old daughter will occasionally drive as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
it all depends on the other person, if someone didn't take care of it, you might buy a whole lot of problems. if the car was taken care of the correct way, mechanically and maintenance wise then you can have a very reliable car.

me personally, besides the obvious things you should look for when you buy any used car, i would pay attention to the suspension. the suspension on these cars are not the greatest i've learned. especially if they are basic OEM parts. (tie rod's especially)

basically just be careful and do your research, don't be quick to jump on a low priced car.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
If maintained, there should be no real issues. I traded my 07 a year ago (well over 100K miles) and the salesguy immediately sold it to his brother-in-law. I just got an email from the saleguy yesterday and he advised that his brother put approx 36K miles on her last year and she is still going strong. That means she has approx 150K miles on her and still going. Search on here and there are numerous members with over 100K miles and several with over 200K miles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a number of Daytona's and R/T's I am looking at in Southern California. All are priced between $13000-17000. I have read about a big problem with the 2006's being something with them "dropping" valves. Does that sound familiar? How prevalent is that on the 06-07's?

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

there were some issues with dropped valves but not the norm...as said before.do your research and u will be happy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up a black 2007 Charger R/T today from a local dealer. One owner, 66000 miles, well cared for and very clean. I feel like the price was right as I ended up getting it for right at 15,200. My family and I are very excited and had a blast driving it today. Nothing major planned for it now other than just driving it. I will get some pics and post them this coming week.

I am open to any ownership tips and advice for it.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Congrats in the purchase!

Do you know if the original owner replaced the plugs? If not, I'd change them. The Hemis are scheduled fir plug changes every 30K miles. Go with the OEM Champion Copper Plus. Some people have put in iridium, plats, etc and thrown codes, others have also done so with no issue. 16 plugs, $32, and a little of your time and you're good to go. Just don't forget the dielectric grease and anti-seize.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Dropped valves seemed to be caused MDS induced temperature differential. Turning it off with a tuner, or going into autostick on the freeway is believed to reduce the potential.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dropped valves seemed to be caused MDS induced temperature differential. Turning it off with a tuner, or going into autostick on the freeway is believed to reduce the potential.

So do you recommend a tuner? I have two year power train warranty on the vehicle. Will a tuner install void that warranty?

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
So do you recommend a tuner? I have two year power train warranty on the vehicle. Will a tuner install void that warranty?
hmmm, tuner will likely not help in the case of a warranty claim.

However, the diablo products (and only diablo) really wake up the 5.7L. If you decide against the tuner, if you're on the freeway, put the car in autostick a few miles before you exit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts