Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My g/f’s brother has challenged me in a ¼ mile track run… $100 bet.
His car is a 2002 BMW M3 with intake, exhaust, and tune.
From what I can gather, the car stock is 333hp / 262tq and should run 13.6-13.8’s @ 105ish at sea level. (~14.2’s here @ 3500ft)
One more note, he has never run his car at the track.

I think it will be a fairly close race… what do you guys think?
What should I expect an M3 with those mods to gain off stock times? .75 seconds? That would make it very close.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I think the M3 is more of a low 13 second car and it will be a very tight race.

Make sure your engine is cool

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
dang sounds like you did your research. i think it sounds like a great race! get some1 to video tape it

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've consistently beat M3s with just my intake. From a stop and roll.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've consistently beat M3s with just my intake. From a stop and roll.
This is what I like to hear!
I think I’ll take the bet… Its only $100 either way…. the biggest point that I can rely on is the fact he has never tracked the car and will likely blow the launch… maybe I’ll set the deal up as first run only without any practice runs.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well, make sure you know how to launch, without traction control...

and he might take you a bit on take off, don't worry about it, you'll get him...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Does he have the manual or the SMG? The SMG will be tough, I doubt he could shift a stick well enought to come close.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
there's this M3 that drives around work all the time, and everytime i hear that junk that's all i do is roll my eyes...go get em man!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if its the SMG... I will find out more before Friday.
I should be able to launch the car by now... I have had it out for 4-5 runs a few times now... our garbage track here is difficult as there is zero track prep and temps around 5-10 degrees C these evenings (40-50F), but I think I should have it down.

·
Registered
211 Posts
He gains next to nothing with those mods. That engine is already basically maxed out...it is not a detuned engine that will respond great to mods.
That's why the new M has a V8, the Six had nothing more to give without compromising reliability. I bet he runs low 14's....maybe high 13's at best.

·
Registered
731 Posts
i can't beleive some of you guys are callin an m3 junk..the m3 is a beautiful vehicle, and runs great to boot.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
i can't beleive some of you guys are callin an m3 junk..the m3 is a beautiful vehicle, and runs great to boot.
Yeah...it sounds like a POS though. Its a personal thing i guess but I think it sounds like hell....and it runs alright.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I've watched stock M3's turn in times in the low 13's consistently in 90 degree California weather. If he has the SMG transmission, driver error wont' be much of a factor in his case anymore. In it's highest setting that transmission can make a shift in 80 milliseconds. The SMG transmission will also let him launch at 4k RPM. Now that I think about it the 2002 models shouldn't have had SMG I believe that was 2003 and up.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I've watched stock M3's turn in times in the low 13's consistently in 90 degree California weather. If he has the SMG transmission, driver error wont' be much of a factor in his case anymore. In it's highest setting that transmission can make a shift in 80 milliseconds. The SMG transmission will also let him launch at 4k RPM. Now that I think about it the 2002 models shouldn't have had SMG I believe that was 2003 and up.
Yeah, I think there are a lot of people on here underestimating that car.

Are they confusing it with the E36 M3?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Yeah, I think there are a lot of people on here underestimating that car.

Are they confusing it with the E36 M3?
Possibly. I had an E36. for 240 horsepower it was pretty damn quick. I was in the low 14's stock with that car. That was also my first time at the track.

·
Registered
488 Posts
get the diablo tuner for added safety! Still think you can take him but he does have some mods, and a tune...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I found a list of M3's and listed what the Op is facing.

E36
1995 BMW M3 6.2 14.6
1995 BMW M3 Lightweight 5.3 13.9
1996 BMW M3 Automatic 6.7 15.3
1996 BMW M3 Luxury 6.6 14.9
1998 BMW M3 Sedan 5.5 14.0
E46
2001 BMW M3 Coupe (U.S.) 4.8 n/a
2001 BMW M3 Convertible (U.S.) 5.4 n/a
2002 BMW M3 4.7 13.4 <----- That's what the OP is facing
2004 BMW M3 4.8 13.6 (C&D)

Oh yeah and in my earlier post I made a mistake. It was the 2001 model year that doesn't have the SMG the 2002 model is either 6 speed stick or 6 speed SMG. Dont' confuse SMG with an auto with gear selection like ours. SMG is a real manual transmission with a clutch and everything, it's just there is no pedal it's all operated hydraulicly.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found a list of M3's and listed what the Op is facing.

E36
1995 BMW M3 6.2 14.6
1995 BMW M3 Lightweight 5.3 13.9
1996 BMW M3 Automatic 6.7 15.3
1996 BMW M3 Luxury 6.6 14.9
1998 BMW M3 Sedan 5.5 14.0
E46
2001 BMW M3 Coupe (U.S.) 4.8 n/a
2001 BMW M3 Convertible (U.S.) 5.4 n/a
2002 BMW M3 4.7 13.4 <----- That's what the OP is facing
2004 BMW M3 4.8 13.6 (C&D)

Oh yeah and in my earlier post I made a mistake. It was the 2001 model year that doesn't have the SMG the 2002 model is either 6 speed stick or 6 speed SMG. Dont' confuse SMG with an auto with gear selection like ours. SMG is a real manual transmission with a clutch and everything, it's just there is no pedal it's all operated hydraulicly.
Well a stock test time of 13.4 is impressive, but don’t our srt8’s have stock test times from 12.9-13.2’s? Either way, it sounds like its going to be a drivers race, with maybe a slight edge going to me with him likley being manual….
Also, I think their traps are considerably lower than an srt8’s as well… maybe I’ll be playing catch-up most the way, but its just a matter of who makes it there first!

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Well a stock test time of 13.4 is impressive, but don’t our srt8’s have stock test times from 12.9-13.2’s? Either way, it sounds like its going to be a drivers race, with maybe a slight edge going to me with him likley being manual….
Also, I think their traps are considerably lower than an srt8’s as well… maybe I’ll be playing catch-up most the way, but its just a matter of who makes it there first!
If you come out hard and smooth you should pull out a win on the top end. Just be on top of your game because if he leaves first you probably won't catch him in the 1/4 mile

1 - 20 of 46 Posts