Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...I have a Charger RT and my dad has a Magnum RT. He has a SRT8 on order and would like to know something. If this works then I will get his old set of wheels and tires off his car so thats why I am asking your guys help. His tires that he has right now are 275x40x20 and they are as tall as the stock wheels and tires off the Magnum or Charger. I called Dodge today and they said that the tires off the Magnum SRT8 are 245x45x20 ono the front and 255x45x20 on the back. What he wants to do is buy another set of the same wheels. Take the stock SRT8 wheels off the car and use the tires from the factory and hos aftermarket wheels. Then give me his old set of wheels and tires off his car right now. Since they are the same height it doesnt screw up the odo or the speedo...thats what they question is will it screw up the odo or the speedo on the Magnum or if it does how hard is it to recalibrate the wheels and tires to register correctly on the magnum or charger? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated because I would really like those wheels and tires on my car...thanks.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Fub,

Actually you may have bigger problems than the speedo calibration. I read an article recently about the SRT-8 Charger. It stated that in order to fit the 20's on the Charger they had to use different (or modified??) steering knuckles. It went on to say that there should be no way a 20 inch rim should fit on a regular Charger without modifying the steering knuckles. I'll try to find the article again so I can post the exact paragraph.

To further confuse things, I've seen pics of Chargers with bigger rims on them so maybe it's really not an issue....just something to check first.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I have seen several chargers with 22's (there are 2 at the dealer I bought my daytona at) and I have not heard of any problems with speed calibration or the steering knuckles (as mentioned by Dodgeman). You just need to get the right tire size/profile put on the rims you get. www.tirerack.com is a good resource, there are many tire calculators out there to help figure it out (just search this forum). Even the morons (well the ones in my area are morons) that work at Tires Plus can help fou figure out the correct fitment for a problem free install. It just takes a little patience....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah, I Have Not Heard About Any Steering Knuckles And There Are A Lot Of 22" Rims Out There So 20's Should Be No Problem...

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
the steering knuckle issue was with a guy trying to fit a huge(wide) tire on his charger....but otherwise you shouldn't have any problems.....

magnum guys are putting on srt8 mag wheels on their mag. r/ts so it should work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all
I work with Freightliner and am a warranty manager, we are a sister company of Dodge, I emailed our engineer department, and they suggested that no 20's or 22's be installed due to the front end steering configuration. They did mention that the SRT8 comes stock with 20's, but they are using a different configuration. As a warranty manager, any modification causing damage to any component to the car that is a non mopar product would void the warranty for that component. That is typical "protect our a.. mumbo jumbo from corporate. I too wanted to keep the 20's that were on my car on the showroom floor, but I had them take the wheels off when the dealership did not want to put into writing that these wheels would not cause me to loose my warranty.
I was told by engineering,that in the future, there may be an upgrade kit from Mopar. I will keep my eyes and ears open.

Raidernation

·
Registered
649 Posts
Damn that sucks....It was issues like this that made me hesitant about any modifications to my RT. Do you really think that putting on 20's or 22's could cause much damage? I really don't want to risk the warranty.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I Really Don't Think It Is Going To Cause Any Problems.. There Are A Lot Of Guys Out There With 20's And 22's On Their Rides And No Problems Reported As Of Yet... Also Look At Kctrends Ride His Is Lowered And Has 22" Rims... So I Really Don't Think You Should Worry.. I Will Be Lowering My Ride And Putting On A Set Of 20's Soon.. I Really Don't See A Problem...as Much As That Eases Your Worries..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts