Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
The factory puts 20X8 rims on lots of V6 cars, the suspension knuckles are the same on all the cars except the ones with the big Brembo brakes. Just watch the offset: the factory wheels are around 24 mm. (AWD cars are totally different and use 45MM offset)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Mine came from the factory with these 20" beauties!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Anyone put 20 inch rims on a V6? Any issues, problems, concerns? Thanks!
The cars that came factory equipped with 20s have the bigger R/T brakes to help overcome the heavier and bigger wheels, you have the smaller brake setup so your braking performance will degrade slightly, also acceleration will be reduced slightly, it's just the tradeoff with the bigger wheels and tires.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
My '07 SXT/AWD came with ugly 18" rims. I replaced them with 20" Sport Edition KV5's. Loved 'em! :)

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
The cars that came factory equipped with 20s have the bigger R/T brakes to help overcome the heavier and bigger wheels, you have the smaller brake setup so your braking performance will degrade slightly, also acceleration will be reduced slightly, it's just the tradeoff with the bigger wheels and tires.
Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
The Horrible (!) BR3 brakes on the V6 cars should be replaced as the 1st mod you do. I have the BR8 Police setup on mine and it is 100% better (still nothing like Brembo's, but not bad for a street car).

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
I don't know about the newer ones, but the '07 V6/AWD had the R/T brakes on them, because they only had one AWD system for the Charger/300/Magnum. ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
The Horrible (!) BR3 brakes on the V6 cars should be replaced as the 1st mod you do. I have the BR8 Police setup on mine and it is 100% better (still nothing like Brembo's, but not bad for a street car).
I checked my build sheet and the window sticker, all that is said about my brakes is they are upgraded to "Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Performance Brakes" How do I tell if they are the BR3 or better? Is the upgrade from BR3 to BR8 caliper and rotor, or just a better quality pad?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Delete, stupid goofy internet/multiple post.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know plenty of other people who have had 0 issues with putting on 20" wheels.... I had 20" on my 08 magnum and now on my 2018 charger although they are factory. I would just check around the suspension and make sure its tightened, etc if you're adding the extra weight.. IT CAN HANDLE but doesn't hurt to be safe when adding more weight.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I checked my build sheet and the window sticker, all that is said about my brakes is they are upgraded to "Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Performance Brakes" How do I tell if they are the BR3 or better? Is the upgrade from BR3 to BR8 caliper and rotor, or just a better quality pad?
The only way to tell is to look at them: (see pics)

1) BR3 package has single piston calipers with tiny 12.6" vented rotors up front and very thin 12.6" solid rotors on the rear. Usually on SE /SXT

2) BR5 package is Dual piston calipers with 13.6" vented front rotors and 12.6" vented rear rotors. This is the stock R/T package

3) BR8 has the dual piston calipers, 13.6" vented front rotors and huge 13.8" vented rear rotors (uses a special caliper bracket to fit these rotors) This is the Police Package up to mid 2014

4) BR9: This is the best package for SE/SXT/RT cars without Brembo brakes (adding those requires changing suspension pieces) Massive 14.5" vented front rotors, 13.8" vented rears-Standard Police package from mid 2014 and up. Everything I've read says you have to use 20" wheels but the Police cars use 18" steel wheels with these (If I knew for sure they would work on my 18" alloy rims I'd put them on in a heartbeat)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts