Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
08 Charger 2.7L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any mods for an 08 2.7L other than CAI and Exhaust ? Im not wasting my money on an exhaust and I already have a CAI. Just wondering if theres anything I can do to give it a little more jump ? Maybe lower profile tires with some light weight rims ? The ones on there now are some heavy sumbitches lol , thanks guys

·
Registered
920 Posts
No.

The 2.7 has zero support in the aftermarket. The only significant power adder I've ever seen for them was an aftermarket intake manifold, and they haven't been offered for years.

You're talking about a tiny engine pulling a porky two-ton Charger. You aren't going to squeeze more power out of it than Dodge did...it came from the factory producing more than 70 HP per liter, which is substantially more than the Hemi.

Your CAI isn't making any additional power. About the only thing you can do is exhaust, but I wouldn't spend the money on an aftermarket system, either, unless I could find an OBX/Maximizer for $275 or so on that big auction website. What you might try is to search Craigslist for a complete takeoff R/T dual exhaust and swap that over. That would actually get you a tiny performance increase and make the car sound a little better as well. You might even like the look of the duals, I know I do. I think the Charger looks funny with a single exhaust.

You can try lightening the load, but again, Dodge was there first...that's why these cars have aluminum hoods, for example.

Most 2.7 owners concentrate on watching for signs of coolant leaks and oil contamination rather than on boosting performance.

·
Registered
08 Charger 2.7L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No.

The 2.7 has zero support in the aftermarket. The only significant power adder I've ever seen for them was an aftermarket intake manifold, and they haven't been offered for years.

You're talking about a tiny engine pulling a porky two-ton Charger. You aren't going to squeeze more power out of it than Dodge did...it came from the factory producing more than 70 HP per liter, which is substantially more than the Hemi.

Your CAI isn't making any additional power. About the only thing you can do is exhaust, but I wouldn't spend the money on an aftermarket system, either, unless I could find an OBX/Maximizer for $275 or so on that big auction website. What you might try is to search Craigslist for a complete takeoff R/T dual exhaust and swap that over. That would actually get you a tiny performance increase and make the car sound a little better as well. You might even like the look of the duals, I know I do. I think the Charger looks funny with a single exhaust.

You can try lightening the load, but again, Dodge was there first...that's why these cars have aluminum hoods, for example.

Most 2.7 owners concentrate on watching for signs of coolant leaks and oil contamination rather than on boosting performance.
Yeah I definitely like the look of the Dual Exhaust. I found a flowmaster for about 800 bucks which really isnt bad but in the long run I should just save my money and trade this or sell it and try to get an RT at the very least. I put this thing on CL and Offer Up for 6k and im willing to take 5k for it , but I think itd be hard finding an RT , even an older one for around that price... Thanks for the reply man pretty much the most useful information ive been given other than to just buy a 3.5. The CAI definitely made it sound better , like seven fold. Any fuel economy gains will quickly be superceded by my lead foot lmao .

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yeah I definitely like the look of the Dual Exhaust. I found a flowmaster for about 800 bucks which really isnt bad but in the long run I should just save my money and trade this or sell it and try to get an RT at the very least. I put this thing on CL and Offer Up for 6k and im willing to take 5k for it , but I think itd be hard finding an RT , even an older one for around that price... Thanks for the reply man pretty much the most useful information ive been given other than to just buy a 3.5. The CAI definitely made it sound better , like seven fold. Any fuel economy gains will quickly be superceded by my lead foot lmao .
Sounds like you have a plan. If you want an R/T, you'll probably have to compromise on the miles to get near your price range. Just do a careful inspection and check the car's history thoroughly, that will tell you more than the odometer does anyway.

·
Registered
08 Charger 2.7L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seen an 10 SXT for 5k with 138k. Car was immaculate body wise. How long can chargers last in General ? I dont want to spend much more than 5 or 6k for an older model. I could buy a honda or a jeep and the engine would last forever

·
Registered
920 Posts
I could buy a honda or a jeep and the engine would last forever
Well...yeah. The difference is, the Honda engine would still have a car around it instead of just a big pile of rust.

You can't put a mileage number on how long a car will last. With modern engineering and lubricants, odometer mileage just isn't a very good indicator of condition anymore. What's more important is how the car's been used, stored, and maintained. I've seen garaged, one-owner Chargers with over 150k that have excellent service histories and I wouldn't hesitate to drive them cross-country, and I've seen low-mileage repo cars with spur marks all over them that have probably never been serviced outside of a Jiffy Lube, and I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them, I don't care what the odometer says. Plus odometer tampering is easier than ever.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I'll sell you a 2010 SXT AWD for $2000.

Needs front glass, upper ball joint and driver side CV. Bring a battery.

260,000 KM on it. Most fluid changes documented. Timing / water pump done by stealership at 165,000KM. Has a blue billet oil catch can installed at 100,000km.

I'm just moving to something better on gas.

LMK. I'm just over an hour from toronto/detroit.

Mostly highway driven, lots of life left I'm just not fixing it. This one might end up at wrecker prematurely.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Are there any mods for an 08 2.7L other than CAI and Exhaust ? Im not wasting my money on an exhaust and I already have a CAI. Just wondering if theres anything I can do to give it a little more jump ? Maybe lower profile tires with some light weight rims ? The ones on there now are some heavy sumbitches lol , thanks guys
Find the pin and put it back in the handle of that GRENADE before it goes off ! No sense spending any money on it beyond oil changes. The 2.7 is a notorious money pit- POS that will sour you on owning a Charger. Save your money for something newer with a much more reliable engine (3.5 / 3.6 / 5.7).

·
Registered
08 Charger 2.7L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill be back at 200k , I take care of my shit so I aint worried. See you guys in a few years

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Ill be back at 200k , I take care of my shit so I aint worried. See you guys in a few years
What you fail to understand is that you taking care of your shit may not matter lol.....every 2.7 LX that has shown up in our local u-pull-it yards here caught fire; it would be a reasonable assumption that at least some of them were not at 200K yet. The 2.7 should not ever have been an engine option with the crappiest automatic trans ever made (42RLE was adapted from a FWD transaxle) in a 2 ton plus sedan.

·
Registered
08 Charger 2.7L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I did some looking and I cant seem to find one post or ANYTHING for that matter in regards to an 08 2.7L engine catching fire. Oil sludge , yes , easily avoidable. Lots of 2.7's in Sebrings and Intrepids and other shit like that you can find tons and tons of personal testimonies on the engine blowing up or sludging up whatever. Ive seen one or two posts on the forums of people complaining that their engine was dead prematurely. Ive also seen some posts claiming to be pushing 220k+miles. If you drive the 2.7 like its a 5.7 then obviously youre gonna **** shit up. This thing is for cruising and thats all. You live and you learn , surely wont ever buy a 2.7 again but thats my fault 😂😂 still gonna be running chargers forever

·
Registered
08 Charger 2.7L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What you fail to understand is that you taking care of your shit may not matter lol.....every 2.7 LX that has shown up in our local u-pull-it yards here caught fire; it would be a reasonable assumption that at least some of them were not at 200K yet. The 2.7 should not ever have been an engine option with the crappiest automatic trans ever made (42RLE was adapted from a FWD transaxle) in a 2 ton plus sedan.
Lots of people with that engine in other models and makes saying theyll never buy american again 😂😂 i came from the Korean side and honestly riding american gives me some pride 😂😂😂 ill never buy another import UNLESS its a GT-R

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Well I did some looking and I cant seem to find one post or ANYTHING for that matter in regards to an 08 2.7L engine catching fire. Oil sludge , yes , easily avoidable. Lots of 2.7's in Sebrings and Intrepids and other shit like that you can find tons and tons of personal testimonies on the engine blowing up or sludging up whatever. Ive seen one or two posts on the forums of people complaining that their engine was dead prematurely. Ive also seen some posts claiming to be pushing 220k+miles. If you drive the 2.7 like its a 5.7 then obviously youre gonna **** shit up. This thing is for cruising and thats all. You live and you learn , surely wont ever buy a 2.7 again but thats my fault 😂😂 still gonna be running chargers forever
The suit claims the engines were defective in that the engine design caused the formation of engine oil sludge to an unacceptable and improper degree, that the build-up of such oil sludge resulted in excessive heating of the engine, excessive wear and tear of the engine, excessive formation of carbon deposits which blocked oil passageways and restriction of oil circulation in the engine, and resulted in substantial failure of the engine and, in certain cases, a combustible event, such as fire or explosion.

Plenty out there, that's two. Get your use out of it, then dump it before it take a dump on you lol.

·
Registered
08 Charger 2.7L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The suit claims the engines were defective in that the engine design caused the formation of engine oil sludge to an unacceptable and improper degree, that the build-up of such oil sludge resulted in excessive heating of the engine, excessive wear and tear of the engine, excessive formation of carbon deposits which blocked oil passageways and restriction of oil circulation in the engine, and resulted in substantial failure of the engine and, in certain cases, a combustible event, such as fire or explosion.

Plenty out there, that's two. Get your use out of it, then dump it before it take a dump on you lol.
I read both of those complete articles. Nothing was said specifically about the Charger , especially the 08. Its saying something about models up to 06 models at the very latest. Good try though lol. Even still , I can agree its severely underpowered for such a large car. I dont really like the look of the newer chargers , personally but well see what happens.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I read both of those complete articles. Nothing was said specifically about the Charger , especially the 08. Its saying something about models up to 06 models at the very latest. Good try though lol. Even still , I can agree its severely underpowered for such a large car. I dont really like the look of the newer chargers , personally but well see what happens.
Says good try, after advertising for a non-shit engine bwahahahaha
Proud owner of an 08 2.7L , just got it not even a month ago, impulse buy , beautiful white charger in good shape with low miles , didnt do my research and found out after the fact that the 2.7L is severely underpowered. I have reposted it back online for 6k and ive gotten several offers , and I am willing to give it for 5k. My question is (praying) , is there anyone in the South Western US who has a Dodge Charger 08-10 SXT or RT that they are looking to sell for 5k or so ? I Live in Arizona and I am willing to travel to CA , UT , NV , and NM

·
Registered
08 Charger 2.7L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Says good try, after advertising for a non-shit engine bwahahahaha
Good try at trying to prove that these engines , in a charger, catch fire. You failed to do that, miserably. And yes Id like to upgrade. My fault for not doing my homework prior but like i said you live and you learn. No need to be a **** sucking douche bag

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Good try at trying to prove that these engines , in a charger, catch fire. You failed to do that, miserably. And yes Id like to upgrade. My fault for not doing my homework prior but like i said you live and you learn. No need to be a **** sucking douche bag
1. I don't need to prove anything son, I see them all the time. I don't give a shit if you believe me or not lol; that would require you to matter to me.
2. Shame you were like pretty much every other retard in existence who doesn't think before they act.
3. You got so triggered by this you couldn't even make a point, you had to try shitty insults because it's hard to think straight with your head that far up your ass LMAO

·
Registered
08 Charger 2.7L
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1. I don't need to prove anything son, I see them all the time. I don't give a shit if you believe me or not lol; that would require you to matter to me.
2. Shame you were like pretty much every other retard in existence who doesn't think before they act.
3. You got so triggered by this you couldn't even make a point, you had to try shitty insults because it's hard to think straight with your head that far up your ass LMAO
The only one triggered is you. All bent out of shape lmao. YOU HAVENT PROVED SHIT

1 - 20 of 28 Posts