Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 06' 2.7 liter charger and my upper intake manifold needs to be replaced, no dealer in town carries them anymore and to get it fixed by a pro it'll cost me $400+, my question is it that complicated to get it done by a pro instead of do it yourself? Plz help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would look on Craigslist for the manifold or Ebay

Make sure it is the correct year of your car or within the same year brackets

[2006-2007] [2008]~[(2008)2009-2010]

It's pretty easy IMO

Disconnect negative terminal off battery (you can isolate it inside an oven mit, work glove, rubber glove, thick plastic bag, etc)

Once the throttle body, EGR Metal Tube, Brake Booster Line, and Purge Solenoid lines are off of the intake, there are two brackets that need to be loosened that hold the intake on the passenger side of the intake. Top are 10mm, bottoms are 13mm.

Then there are 7 bolts (10mm) holding the Plenum Intake Manifold down. There is also the PCV tubing that will come off, the Transmission service tube, and a couple other things but you should see them.

Disconnect your electrical plugs that plug into your throttle body and manifold plenum.

Cover up the intake holes with a rag or a few rags! You might be able to use a flexible extension magnet if you dropped a screw or something metal, but I wouldn't want to go through that. If you drop something plastic in there, good luck - You'll probably have to take the motor apart to get it out if it doesn't come out with a vacuum or something.

Here's a couple of links:

One is changing spark plugs, but you have to remove the intake manifold to do so

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/62253-2-7L-intake-manifold

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would look on Craigslist for the manifold or Ebay

Make sure it is the correct year of your car or within the same year brackets

[2006-2007] [2008]~[(2008)2009-2010]

It's pretty easy IMO

Disconnect negative terminal off battery (you can isolate it inside an oven mit, work glove, rubber glove, thick plastic bag, etc)

Once the throttle body, EGR Metal Tube, Brake Booster Line, and Purge Solenoid lines are off of the intake, there are two brackets that need to be loosened that hold the intake on the passenger side of the intake. Top are 10mm, bottoms are 13mm.

Then there are 7 bolts (10mm) holding the Plenum Intake Manifold down. There is also the PCV tubing that will come off, the Transmission service tube, and a couple other things but you should see them.

Disconnect your electrical plugs that plug into your throttle body and manifold plenum.

Cover up the intake holes with a rag or a few rags! You might be able to use a flexible extension magnet if you dropped a screw or something metal, but I wouldn't want to go through that. If you drop something plastic in there, good luck - You'll probably have to take the motor apart to get it out if it doesn't come out with a vacuum or something.

Here's a couple of links:

One is changing spark plugs, but you have to remove the intake manifold to do so

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php/62253-2-7L-intake-manifold

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niJJVkZX-yY
Great! Thank you! Much appreciated!! :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Great! Thank you! Much appreciated!! :D

Of course!

Why does it need to be replaced?

And again, that video shows a pretty good way to get it off the engine.

I would also try to get a 2006 just to avoid any problems.

I'm not sure the complete difference between the Magnum and 300 and Charger 2.7L Intakes, but I think they are swappable.

There are a few on Ebay right now, you would just have to look and see if the donor car is a 2006, and if it looks like your manifold.

You want to look for the intake runners to see if they match up. In the video you will notice he takes a plug off near the front of the manifold, mine does not have that. I'm not sure what year his was, although my Charger is a 2008.

Just make sure it physically matched up to the one you are looking at if you buy one

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course!

Why does it need to be replaced?

And again, that video shows a pretty good way to get it off the engine.

I would also try to get a 2006 just to avoid any problems.

I'm not sure the complete difference between the Magnum and 300 and Charger 2.7L Intakes, but I think they are swappable.

There are a few on Ebay right now, you would just have to look and see if the donor car is a 2006, and if it looks like your manifold.

You want to look for the intake runners to see if they match up. In the video you will notice he takes a plug off near the front of the manifold, mine does not have that. I'm not sure what year his was, although my Charger is a 2008.

Just make sure it physically matched up to the one you are looking at if you buy one
My engine light came on. I took it over to autozone and they told me I had a cylinder 5 misfire or faulty spark plugs. So my friend looked at the problem also and found out my compressor line was leaking. Which is why I need a whole upper intake manifold.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My engine light came on. I took it over to autozone and they told me I had a cylinder 5 misfire or faulty spark plugs. So my friend looked at the problem also and found out my compressor line was leaking. Which is why I need a whole upper intake manifold.

My first thought is Cylinder 5 Coil Pack, and a compressor line would probably be an easy fix.

It doesn't sound like the Intake Manifold it's self is the problem

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My first thought is Cylinder 5 Coil Pack, and a compressor line would probably be an easy fix.

It doesn't sound like the Intake Manifold it's self is the problem
That's what I thought too but the plastic part on the intake manifold is damaged and it's held together by a clamp.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That's what I thought too but the plastic part on the intake manifold is damaged and it's held together by a clamp.

Oh okay, sometimes plastic can be heated with a soldering iron (I used an old soldering iron) to form a spare piece of black plastic back into the intake, if the crack or hole small enough.

I have done this before on a plastic intake box!

Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh okay, sometimes plastic can be heated with a soldering iron (I used an old soldering iron) to form a spare piece of black plastic back into the intake, if the crack or hole small enough.

I have done this before on a plastic intake box!

Good luck!
Thanks man! I'll be working on it as soon as I get off of work. Do you know what tools I would need? I bought a deep socket extender and a 3/8 socket with padding and a set of wrenches.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks man! I'll be working on it as soon as I get off of work. Do you know what tools I would need? I bought a deep socket extender and a 3/8 socket with padding and a set of wrenches.

Of course I hope everything goes smoothly!

My last post was just basically saying you can use an extra piece of black plastic, and use a soldering iron (again, I used an older one I had around) to literally solder that piece where the hole is. It works great and never had a problem with it. You can save replace the whole intake that way assuming it is repairable.

I'd recommend:

Mechanic Gloves - Something to protect your hands if you have them. I have shed what seems to be a lot of blood knocking my hands around. If you cant reach somewhere or articulate your hand for something with a glove on, just be careful! A lot of sharp metal and plastic on cars in general.

Flat Head Screwdriver and WD40 or similar lubricating or penetrating oil or spray - I used Liquid Wrench - For the vacuum hoses, my brake booster line was particularly in there pretty tight

10mm (which is about 3/8th) for upper bracket bolts on the passenger side of intake (theres two brackets so 2x upper bolts)
13mm for the lower bolts for the same bracket (again, 2x of these,but 13mm instead)

10mm - for all seven main manifold bolts

Clean rags - for covering lower intake manifold holes when upper plenum intake is removed , again you probably don't want to drop something in there while working

That's pretty much all I used, just various wrenches and deep sockets and extensions depending on what space is available

For instance, one of those 10mm upper bracket bolts has limited room shortened by the fuse box (I think its the fuse box, you'll see if you look in there) so I used a wrench instead of a socket for space reasons

You could also either clean the spark plugs, or just replace them while you are in there! Everything would need to come off again anyways.

The Hemi engines I believe use Champion Copper RE14MCC4 Part #570

In my 2008 2.7L the spark plugs are Champion Copper Plus RE14MCC5 Part #470

Mine were pretty bad at around 76K, worse than I expected actually.

There are some on ebay with Free shipping of $2.16 each. That's like $14.00 for six

I think my local car part stores also have them for maybe a little more

Just be careful, have fun and good luck again!

Here's that link again:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of course I hope everything goes smoothly!

My last post was just basically saying you can use an extra piece of black plastic, and use a soldering iron (again, I used an older one I had around) to literally solder that piece where the hole is. It works great and never had a problem with it. You can save replace the whole intake that way assuming it is repairable.

I'd recommend:

Mechanic Gloves - Something to protect your hands if you have them. I have shed what seems to be a lot of blood knocking my hands around. If you cant reach somewhere or articulate your hand for something with a glove on, just be careful! A lot of sharp metal and plastic on cars in general.

Flat Head Screwdriver and WD40 or similar lubricating or penetrating oil or spray - I used Liquid Wrench - For the vacuum hoses, my brake booster line was particularly in there pretty tight

10mm (which is about 3/8th) for upper bracket bolts on the passenger side of intake (theres two brackets so 2x upper bolts)
13mm for the lower bolts for the same bracket (again, 2x of these,but 13mm instead)

10mm - for all seven main manifold bolts

Clean rags - for covering lower intake manifold holes when upper plenum intake is removed , again you probably don't want to drop something in there while working

That's pretty much all I used, just various wrenches and deep sockets and extensions depending on what space is available

For instance, one of those 10mm upper bracket bolts has limited room shortened by the fuse box (I think its the fuse box, you'll see if you look in there) so I used a wrench instead of a socket for space reasons

You could also either clean the spark plugs, or just replace them while you are in there! Everything would need to come off again anyways.

The Hemi engines I believe use Champion Copper RE14MCC4 Part #570

In my 2008 2.7L the spark plugs are Champion Copper Plus RE14MCC5 Part #470

Mine were pretty bad at around 76K, worse than I expected actually.

There are some on ebay with Free shipping of $2.16 each. That's like $14.00 for six

I think my local car part stores also have them for maybe a little more

Just be careful, have fun and good luck again!

Here's that link again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niJJVkZX-yY

I just

·
Registered
119 Posts
8:26 in the video is the EGR Pipe, I don't know the details of your intake manifold problems without really seeing them, but good luck! Hopefully it is an easy fix.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts