Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

coming from a Mazda3 with a relatively tight steering I was wondering if all Daytona (including 2006) had the "must-have" 9-land steering upgrade.

I'm in the market for a Charger and it's one feature I really want to get.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Hi,

coming from a Mazda3 with a relatively tight steering I was wondering if all Daytona (including 2006) had the "must-have" 9-land steering upgrade.

Thanks!
Yes, the Daytona, the R/T (with Road & Track Package), and the SRT have the nine grooves instead of six. The steering is pretty cool...especially in the SRT.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
Welcome!

I own a regular R/T and I just installed the 9 land gear from a Daytona in my car. It is definitely a must have, but if you can't get on the car and really want it the assembly (gear, inner and outer tie rods) is $455 shiped from Mopar Super Center, and it's a pretty easy install.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Hi,

Thanks!
Even with the upgraded steer on the R&T package, it still handles like a boat. After all, it a big, heavy car.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Even with the upgraded steer on the R&T package, it still handles like a boat. After all, it a big, heavy car.
:iagree: Its not gonna steer like a front driver Mazda no matter what rack you have in the car....sadly my wife's CR-V has better/more responsive steering:rolleyes2:

I can say that it is better than my '69 ;)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I think it's plenty responsive... I am used to driving mercedes, they are not designed to whip across the road at 10 mph with a slight movement. They are designed to be stable and be able to safely whip across the road with a slight movement at 160... This is not a 1500 lb rice mobile. Stop comparing it to such people...

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
I've always had 4x4 trucks...................so I think my Charger handles like a Lotus Esprit :)

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
I'm with Sammy on this one. My last ride was an H3 so my SRT is some kind of effing super car.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I remember test driving both versions, clearly a difference. Good on you, supernova. I was very happy with the precise steering despite the size/weight disadvantage.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
I think it's plenty responsive... I am used to driving mercedes, they are not designed to whip across the road at 10 mph with a slight movement. They are designed to be stable and be able to safely whip across the road with a slight movement at 160... This is not a 1500 lb rice mobile. Stop comparing it to such people...
x2. It is comparing apples and oranges. No matter what kind of suspension/steering package you put on our cars, it'll still can't out manuver a small ricer. Our cars are big, heavy and rwd.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
My last vehicle was a 4x4 Ranger, which I thought had pretty good steering (for what it was) .... I think the Charger's is OK, but never knew much about the "9-land" gear .....

What's the thing with 9 vs 6 ???

·
Registered
722 Posts
For a big boat my R/T did pretty well against a G35 Infinity

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
My last vehicle was a 4x4 Ranger, which I thought had pretty good steering (for what it was) .... I think the Charger's is OK, but never knew much about the "9-land" gear .....

What's the thing with 9 vs 6 ???
The lands are in the part of the rack called the rotary valve as seen below, image from howstuffworks.com,

See the part of the steering column in there? Now, normally, that part, seen head on, has a six sided shape, each side is a land. The SRT and R/T rack have nine sides. The more sides, the more precise the steering, because the amount of change of smaller. Like the difference between coarse thread and fine thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys,

I really appreciate the numerous replies and to learn that the 9-land steering system is upgradable.

One thing about the upgrade is that your still doesn't get the upgraded suspension... but I know there are many options for suspension.

Also, I never tried to compare a Mazda 3 to a Charger, they are worlds apart.

Happy to join your community (soon as a Charger owner, I wish)!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts