Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, here it is. I installed this filter just after the first flush and fill about a month ago. The gunk was so bad that it clogged the filter. The first flush was just a flush, no reservoir, cap, or additives. This time I got the works and I figured I better put a new filter so I cut this one open just to see how bad it got. Its bad....

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobody knows what that crap is but the additive they are adding now seems to solve this problem. I kept the filter anyway, lets see what happens on the next filter I cut open.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Holy crap. That is worse than Brilliant Black Hemi's, who is the guy who came up with this filter idea. My filter is now as clean as if brand new, and is no longer capturing anything. But I am still running the setup. Keep doing it, and eventually you will get everything out. :grin:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Without running to my manual in the car...when is a good time (mile mark) to flush and fill the coolant?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Without running to my manual in the car...when is a good time (mile mark) to flush and fill the coolant?
The owner's manual states 60,000 miles or 60 months (for schedule A or B), but if you have the coolant gunk problem, you better not wait that long!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well, here it is. I installed this filter just after the first flush and fill about a month ago. The gunk was so bad that it clogged the filter. The first flush was just a flush, no reservoir, cap, or additives. This time I got the works and I figured I better put a new filter so I cut this one open just to see how bad it got. Its bad....
Ok stupid question coming. Is that an oil filter? Does the cooling system have a filter? Sorry but I was on cloud 9 for a while. Thanks

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
No, it is not an oil filter,so they say, but it sure looks like one. It is a NAPA
filter made by WIX. A poster named "Brilliant Black Hemi" on the other board
came up with the idea. Coolant filters are used on diesel engines mainly, from what I have read. Why they need them I don't know. But it has worked great in getting the white crap out of my system. Today I put in the 180 degree thermo, and the inside of the thermostat housing was totally clean. And my coolant is now crystal clear. I am continuing to use this filter, since it is there, why not?

·
Registered
72 Posts
No, it is not an oil filter,so they say, but it sure looks like one. It is a NAPA
filter made by WIX. A poster named "Brilliant Black Hemi" on the other board
came up with the idea. Coolant filters are used on diesel engines mainly, from what I have read. Why they need them I don't know. But it has worked great in getting the white crap out of my system. Today I put in the 180 degree thermo, and the inside of the thermostat housing was totally clean. And my coolant is now crystal clear. I am continuing to use this filter, since it is there, why not?

Is there a way to or is there enough room to install the coolant filter if you have the stock air box and not a CAI? Every picture I have seen of the coolant filter is on a car with a CAI. I want to install the coolant filter but I do not think that I want the CAI.

·
Registered
202 Posts
All I know is that everyone with a Police, AWD 3.5L, and SRT should take their car to the dealer asap and get a coolant flush and fill - as stated in the dealer bulletin.

No need for the filter afterwards.

I only took a few chem classes in college but a solid precipatate could form from 2 different liquids. The difference here is that the coolant is just 1 liquid in a closed system. My line of thought is that some crazy reaction is going on. Filtering after is good in that it prevents blockage, but probably doesn't help solve the main problem.

But hey... just my thoughts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am keeping the filter just until there is no more of this crap in my cooling system. So far so good, once I can cut one open and there is no more gunk its gone.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Is there a definitive explaination to the for this precipitant or what is causing it? I know that there are 2 primary coolants
1) Propylene Glycol P.G. Environmentally friendly - less economic/effective
2) Ethylene Glycol E.G. Toxic - economic and effective

Glycol can be extremely corrosive especially if it starts to oxidize as it breaks down into organic acids. Typically there are ph buffers added to it so that it stays neutral or slightly basic.

There are also polymers, silicates and or phosphates added to protect the metal surfaces of your engine from corrosion and keep particulates dispersed.

That said, it makes me wonder if there is an incompatibilty between the solution and the metals or are the dissimilar metals having an electro-chemicasl reaction that is sloughing off oxides and coagulating with the solution. This would cause serious gunk and be indicative of serious engine wear!! Sure would like to know!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
The silicates and the phosphates could be crapping out of solution and if this is happening it could clog the smaller ports and orifice(s) in the cooling system. Now that is disastorous!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts