Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1973, for a friend, with a 400 CID, with an AT, that needs some work; first where is #1 cylinder? Isn’t it the first in the front of the car, on the passenger side? What should the timing be set at, 8 BTD? It has an MSD. How many inches of vacuum should it be pulling, I would think at lest 15 inches: it has the stock cam, but it does have a performance Edelbrock carb on it. In lower speeds, it’s like a pig, once you get going, after about 30, it wants to move. I should be able to really romp on this thing and make it squeal, I don’t drive that way actually, but for crying out loud this is a Charger, and my 1959 Rambler could actually beat this car off the line—really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks,
Jaybird

·
Registered
202 Posts
cylinder one is the front cylinder on the right side. personally, i'd set timing at zero and see how it runs and then go from there. 14 inches of vacuum.

eew carbs.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
nikeajax said:
I just picked up a 1973, for a friend, with a 400 CID, with an AT, that needs some work; first where is #1 cylinder? Isn’t it the first in the front of the car, on the passenger side? What should the timing be set at, 8 BTD? It has an MSD. How many inches of vacuum should it be pulling, I would think at lest 15 inches: it has the stock cam, but it does have a performance Edelbrock carb on it. In lower speeds, it’s like a pig, once you get going, after about 30, it wants to move. I should be able to really romp on this thing and make it squeal, I don’t drive that way actually, but for crying out loud this is a Charger, and my 1959 Rambler could actually beat this car off the line—really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks,
Jaybird
On a Chrysler big block, the #1 cylinder is the front on the driver's side. 400 was a smog engine, and with a factory cam is likely to be a real dog. Throw in Edelbrock's cam and a spreadbore carb, and let the games begin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Of The Moonlight said:
cylinder one is the front cylinder on the right side. personally, i'd set timing at zero and see how it runs and then go from there. 14 inches of vacuum.

Thanks Moonlight.

Dutch said:
On a Chrysler big block, the #1 cylinder is the front on the driver's side.
Thanks Dutch.

Appreciate the tips. I'm all for keeping things posted in the appropriate forums, so I'll just ask, does anyone know of a forum for afficionados of the older model chargers? While the 73 may not be the very best vintage out there, it's still engineering sweetness when it's firing correctly. Any suggestions, leads, resources are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just my opinion on the timing, I would set it at 10 BTDC @ 900 RPM and 28-32 BTDC by 3000 RPM. If you do change cams, with the pistons so far down in the bore, go with some thing in the mid 280 duration.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts