Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has any of these information, I would be really appreaciate it if you can share:

1969 Dodge Charger R/T (stock)
- Gear Ratios (1st-4th and final)
- Curb weight
- Dyno chart (stock)
- Red line

If you have 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T stock stats, that would be really helpful as well.

If you have only parts of the information, please reply to my post.

Thank you in advance. You guys rock!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi

If anyone has any of these information, I would be really appreaciate it if you can share:

- Curb weight
- Dyno chart (stock)
- Red line

If you have 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T stock stats, that would be really helpful as well.

an old blast from the past.i love it!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts

- Curb weight
- Dyno chart (stock)
- Red line

First off, nobody had 4-speed muscle cars. A real muscle car with a big block had such a heavy clutch they were no treat to drive.

The cars you describe are all mechanically identical. The Torqueflite automatic had ratios of 2.45, 1.45, 1.0. The 4-speed was 2.65, 1.93, 1.39, 1.0. Rear end was 3.23 standard, but there were options up to at least 4.10.

Red line varied a lot. As high as 6,500 on the Hemi, around 5,000 on the wedge head big blocks. They'd typically shift around 4,500 at WOT. Power started falling off above that. The heads couldn't breathe. No old magazine articles have dyno charts. The Hemi made peak power of 425 HP at 5,000 RPM and 490 lb/ft of torque at 4,000. The 383 made 335 HP at 4,800 RPM and 425 lb/ft at 3,400. The 440 made 375 HP at 4,600 RPM and 480 lb/ft at 3,200 RPM.

Edelbrock's web site has dynos of stock muscle car engines to compare with their manifold/head/cam kits. All of the old engines were grossly overrated, even considering they were measured in gross HP rather than Net. The 383 actually made more HP than the 440, though the 440 had more power down low.

Weights varied greatly depending on options.

1960s magazine articles list Charger weights as 4,170, 4,035, 3,925, 3,950.

According to The Standard Catalog of American Cars, the 1969 Charger R/T had a shipping weight of 3,646. 3,638 for 1970. This was a bare car with no options. Not even a radio or heater. For comparison, this book gives a figure of 4,020 for my 1966 Chrysler, which weighed 4,300 when I put it on a scale, and that was a minimally-optioned car (heater, radio, P/S, P/B, automatic, nothing else).

The Challenger came in different body styles. Shipping weights for R/Ts were 3,402 for the hardtop, 3,437 for the coupe, and 3,467 for convertible. So, the basic Challenger car was 200 pounds lighter than a Charger. Assuming you optioned both cars out the same, that weight difference would be consistent. So, expect a real '70 Challenger sitting on a street corner to weigh about 3,800 pounds.

The standard engine for Chargers and Challengers was the 145 HP 225 c.i. slant six. The standard R/T engine was the 383 in the Challenger and the 440 in the Charger.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Doh. I guess my effort was for naught.
No way! That was some very helpful info you posted, as I am sure there are forum members who are looking at adding a classic Charger to their garage to park next to their LX. This is the kind of info we NEED to see before going to look at one. Thanks for posting this!

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
No way! That was some very helpful info you posted, as I am sure there are forum members who are looking at adding a classic Charger to their garage to park next to their LX. This is the kind of info we NEED to see before going to look at one. Thanks for posting this!
Well glad to hear that. I'm glad it wasn't wasted. :grin:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Not at all...now I just need to find a 69 to rebuild! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts