Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, unfortunately as the title states i am inquiring about the 180 tstat. Secondly, yes i have used the search feature on this forum as well as others. Now here is the question, Does anyone have a link to the install video? The original vid (http://media.putfile.com/Changing-the-LX-Thermostat) doesn't seem to work for me and have not found another.

Thanks for any help. Hopefully this post wasn't as bad as you all thought.

as a side note, i am going with 185lf and 195hf and bought a Jet-180. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just put a Jet 180 in mine, it is working great and worth the price IMHO. The job was easy, just pull the two bolts, lift the hose neck/thermostat housing up and out of the way, and then pulled out the old thermostat (I had to grab it with a needle nose as it was kind of stuck). Be prepared to lose about 1-2 quarts of coolant unless you can catch some of it in a zip-lock (I only caught about a thimble-full). Then put your new tstat in with the jiggle pit up, re-install the hose neck, tighten the two bolts, start up and check for leaks once the temp comes up. Then don't forget to replace any coolant you lost-I just added to the overflow tank the next day once she was cooled down and all of the potential air bubbles had worked their way out of the cooling system. Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I too got the jet-180. (heard of the sizing issues with the motorad) So i finished the Install earlier and it went pretty well. To say it was uneventful is an understatement though. I placed a ziplock under the tstat when i was un-hooking the hose. As expected the fluid started to come out and i caught most of it with a carefully placed zip-lock. The funny thing was, that once i got the old tstat out, the fluid started flowing again. I figured there was just a little left and wasn't worried because i read that it happens. What i was surprised to see is that the fluid had no intention on stopping, it actually started draining my reservoir to the point where my 1 gallon ziplock was almost filled. I had to quickly jam the new tstat in to stop it from overflowing. I ran in to the house to grab another ziplock so that i could properly fit/orient the tstat. Finally, got everything put back together and added some of the gallon+ of coolant i had back into the car. I had to run the car a bit to get the reservoir to drop and now have put most of the coolant back in.

Anyone know why it did this? I am glad i was prepared with the ziplock. And no the cap was still on. :bowdown:

·
Registered
172 Posts
The flow surge must have induced siphoning from the overflow tank - the overflow tank is vented to the atmosphere. Good job catching all of that coolant and quick thinking popping that tstat back in there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts