Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my 180 t-stat the other day and took the car for a drive today. I followed the directions in the "install" post as to orientation. My temp gauge still was reading 204. Did I do something wrong? Do I also need to program the diablo fan mod?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I installed my 180 t-stat the other day and took the car for a drive today. I followed the directions in the "install" post as to orientation. My temp gauge still was reading 204. Did I do something wrong? Do I also need to program the diablo fan mod?
I just got back in from installing mine this morning.
1) YES, absolutely change the fan settings in Diablo. I have mine at around 188/192/198.
2) You should have seen at least a slight decrease in temps when cruising lightly....although once it gets "hot", it won't cool down very quickly unless you adjust your fan temps. Just make sure it's opening when it should be.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Just keep your A/C on...the computer turns off the compressor when you go open throttle anyway...

·
Registered
3,168 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
My apologies...I completely misread the original post, I read it as him only wanting to buy diablo for the fans to be on...so I stated that he could leave the A/C on, which leaves the fans on. On Chrysler vehicles, when you go WOT, it automatically disengages the compressor, so it makes no difference if it's on/off/pulled out, etc...

·
Registered
708 Posts
My apologies...I completely misread the original post, I read it as him only wanting to buy diablo for the fans to be on...so I stated that he could leave the A/C on, which leaves the fans on. On Chrysler vehicles, when you go WOT, it automatically disengages the compressor, so it makes no difference if it's on/off/pulled out, etc...
Let me get this straight, instead of turning the AC off when I "race" somebody I can just leave it on becuase the computer turns off the compressor?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Let me get this straight, instead of turning the AC off when I "race" somebody I can just leave it on becuase the computer turns off the compressor?

technically yes, it disengages the a/c clutch everytime your car is at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE. but only then.

if im racing or doing anything tight manuevers, i may have to let of the gas, but i dont wanna have that clutch going on and off.

i just drive spiritidly without ac. my car has windows you know. lol
plus now in the winter time. i turn my heater on and use no a/c and open windows/sun roof. the heater pulls heat from your engine compartment to heat up the cabin... thus helping engine temp (why do you think everyone on the drag strip uses their defrosters on high heat during and between runs?)

thridly....... HES TALKING ABOUT ENGINE FANS NOT FANS INSIDE THE CAR.
FANS TO COOL THE ENGINE NOT FANS TO COOL THE PEOPLE.

got it? :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
come on guys its not like we're in the 70's cars today are way more efficient

·
Registered
708 Posts
technically yes, it disengages the a/c clutch everytime your car is at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE. but only then.

if im racing or doing anything tight manuevers, i may have to let of the gas, but i dont wanna have that clutch going on and off.

i just drive spiritidly without ac. my car has windows you know. lol
plus now in the winter time. i turn my heater on and use no a/c and open windows/sun roof. the heater pulls heat from your engine compartment to heat up the cabin... thus helping engine temp (why do you think everyone on the drag strip uses their defrosters on high heat during and between runs?)

thridly....... HES TALKING ABOUT ENGINE FANS NOT FANS INSIDE THE CAR.
FANS TO COOL THE ENGINE NOT FANS TO COOL THE PEOPLE.

got it? :D
Yeah, thanks. One question: What's a "winter?"

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i dont get why ppl dont understand the AC shutting off at WOT. that isnt new technology at all. most modern cars ( like 1995 and up) do that. i had a ford aerostar that did the same thing. if u go WOT the air coming out gets hot, thats how u know.

and leaving the ac on is talked about a lot on here as a way to keep the engine fans running and keep the engine cool, but the OP has the diablo, so all they need to do is go to the "modify tune" menu and change the fan temps

·
Registered
628 Posts
i dont get why ppl dont understand the AC shutting off at WOT. that isnt new technology at all. most modern cars ( like 1995 and up) do that. i had a ford aerostar that did the same thing. if u go WOT the air coming out gets hot, thats how u know.

and leaving the ac on is talked about a lot on here as a way to keep the engine fans running and keep the engine cool, but the OP has the diablo, so all they need to do is go to the "modify tune" menu and change the fan temps
Which is exactly why I apologized for my original post...

But, it does help those out who don't have diablo yet, because I do the same thing in South Florida weather, and my car stays around 193

·
Registered
708 Posts

Well since you don't "get it" I'll explain it to you. This is the first time i EVER heard of it. I'm a Harley guy - want to know about Harley's and the many different engines, I'm your guy. Cars and the AC compressor turning off AT wot is not something i can relate to on a Harley since there is no AC, hell, no radiators or fans either. Just something that I never thought about til now. GOT IT NOW?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i think most bikes do have radiators!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Did you install one of the canned tunes? If so they already set your fans to run with a 180. I installed the 91 tune and didn't tuoch the fan controls and it never gets above 199. The tunes set the fans at 189 low and 199 med/high.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have seen dyno results that show that the Hemi's start losing power after 195. With a 180 Tstat, it is recommended to have the low speed fan on around 184, medium speed fan around 187 and the high speed on around 190. This will help to ensure that you have optimal horsepower.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have seen dyno results that show that the Hemi's start losing power after 195. With a 180 Tstat, it is recommended to have the low speed fan on around 184, medium speed fan around 187 and the high speed on around 190. This will help to ensure that you have optimal horsepower.
I have my low speed at 183,meduim speed at 185 and high speed at 188. I do notice the fans running quite often, but I have never saw the temp rise above 186 and I have not thrown the too low coolant code yet.
Randy

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I never said bikes - I said "HARLEY'S" but thanks for being such a concerned citizen!

And before you even try it, a V-rod is not a real Harley!
and a harley is just a bike with a name on it that causes a 15 thousand dollar price increase that spends most its life in the shop getting fixed
bandwagon!

now lets stop argueing about harleys and argue about why cops suck!:silenced:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts