Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive read a ton of posts on what putting in a 180 stat does and all that. Then i went ahead and walked into my local autozone, avanced etc. I first went to autozone and all they had was the oem 203 stat. Talked to the guy for a little and went about my way. Then i went to advanced and asked if they had one available. Again only the stock one. Talked a little with the guy that was prob around my age. He then asked me if ive done anything with the fuel to air ratio, and what performance parts i had done. Right now as for engine work i have a cai. He then went on with sayin if i didnt do anything with my air to fuel ratio that in the end even the 180 stat would still operate the same as the stock one. My question is, am i missing something to easy here or what do i need to do when i put the new one in once i get one? Thanks

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
So ive read a ton of posts on what putting in a 180 stat does and all that. Then i went ahead and walked into my local autozone, avanced etc. I first went to autozone and all they had was the oem 203 stat. Talked to the guy for a little and went about my way. Then i went to advanced and asked if they had one available. Again only the stock one. Talked a little with the guy that was prob around my age. He then asked me if ive done anything with the fuel to air ratio, and what performance parts i had done. Right now as for engine work i have a cai. He then went on with sayin if i didnt do anything with my air to fuel ratio that in the end even the 180 stat would still operate the same as the stock one. My question is, am i missing something to easy here or what do i need to do when i put the new one in once i get one? Thanks
you need the part number, you can t go in there by application. The tstat is the same as it is for another vehicle out there. Then tell the guy behind the counter to shove it and sell you the damn part and take his opinion elsewhere

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i figured. What part number do i need to give them, cause im goin to have to order it?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Motorad #4128

Or talk to one of our vendors on here and get the Jet T-stat, its more money but a beefier piece and comes with a new gasket as oposed to reusing the old one with the Motorad.

Don't take no crap from know nothing parts counter guy.... there are hundreds of us running 180 t-stats with no adj.'s....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Stupid question, but are the 180 t-stats available for the 3.5 SXT? And how much do they cost?

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
When you do change your T-stat, it would be good to read the following to understand how it all works.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119766

Good luck!:bigthumb:

Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
Stupid question, but are the 180 t-stats available for the 3.5 SXT? And how much do they cost?
You already have a 180 stat in the 3.5......:bigthumb:

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
The tstat alone will not do much. you need a diablo to adjust fan settings.
example : (although your climate may differ, this is for me)
stock 213 ave temp
tstat alone 203 average temp
tstat with proper fan settings 180 average and possible cel for a p0128 code which you'll just have to deal with

you can also expect a slight loss in gas mileage

1 - 10 of 10 Posts