Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this thermostat and was wondering if anyone else is using the same thing. Its part number 10183 and it says it fits all SRT8's and 5.7 hemi's.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I have seen a few around here use them. A bit pricey though. Is there something you are looking for regarding these thermostats?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
its the exact same thing as the Valucraft brand from autozone. AKA the motorad tstat

except 10 dollars more

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ya I've had it for awhile, it keeps my engine running cool at around 175-180ish. And no its not pricey they're about 25$ online, it was definately worth the money.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Ya I've had it for awhile, it keeps my engine running cool at around 175-180ish. And no its not pricey they're about 25$ online, it was definately worth the money.
You throwing codes with the 180? Some do some dont. Thats why I have been thinking about the 185.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You throwing codes with the 180? Some do some dont. Thats why I have been thinking about the 185.
Thats what I was actually looking for. I just bought one online for about $28 and was wondering if anyone was using this brand and if anyone was having problems with them.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I think they are 12 bucks from autozone/schucks/napa etc.

I have a 180, no codes besides one that I gave my self by running the fans before the engine ever warmed up.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
$25 vs $12 ..... I consider it pricey for the same identical thing.

Worth the money?? Extra 12 bucks could go into the gas tank.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$25 vs $12 ..... I consider it pricey for the same identical thing.

Worth the money?? Extra 12 bucks could go into the gas tank.
The time it would have taken me to drive to the parts store and buy it and come home is worth more than $12. My time alone is worth more than that. I ordered it online and it was at my door several days later. I think it was worth the extra $$$$. :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
i have the jet tstat, works perfect and never seen a code about it

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
What does that thing actually do??
the 180 t stat just changes the temperature that the coolant system engages. if your stock, then the coolant system will start circulating the coolant liquid through the engine at 205 degrees, if you have the 180 it opens at 180...

i'm goin to napa tomorrow and gettin the 190

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just picked up a 4128 at Autozone. Cost $15 and change, about $17 after tax.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Just did the install on this T-stat and it took all of about 15 minutes. Took the old one out and put the new one in. Lost alittle coolant but not enough to worry about. Took the car for a ride and the gauge no longer runs at the half way point. It is now one line below the half way point on the gauge.
I checked the coolant level when I returned and it was still on the max line in the resevoir and there was no leaks. If you do this mod watch the video that is posted on here somewhere, it really helped. I'll see if I can find it and add it to this post.
This isn't the video but this thread is just as good...
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=39710

·
Registered
217 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
:lol:
The time it would have taken me to drive to the parts store and buy it and come home is worth more than $12. My time alone is worth more than that. I ordered it online and it was at my door several days later. I think it was worth the extra $$$$. :)

You live realy far from autoZone :lol: But i have the same thing and knowing that I could have paid less by driving around the corner I feel like I got, got. but it works fine just cost too damn much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have the jet tstat, works perfect and never seen a code about it
I have the jet tstat, as soon as the weather started to cool off it was throwing the "engine coolant" code every day (clearing it with superchips) I put the stock one back in this past weekend. I wonder why some cars throw the code and some don't. :confused:

·
Registered
951 Posts
The reason for the DTC code (P0128) being "thrown" in the cooler weather is simply because the computer wants the engine temp to reach at LEAST 190 in a short amount of time (I think it's pre-set at like 90 seconds after initial engine start up). Due only to the cooler weather some of us (including me) will be experiencing here shortly, it just takes longer for the engine to warm up per se. There's really no actual concern you should have when the engine light comes on, AND you know for sure that it is simply related to the lower temp thermo. Annoying? Yes. A problem you should be concerned with? No. This is simply an extension of the emission's control protocols and nothing more. I'm not sure if Superchips can program the PCM to "not read" and/or "ignore" this specific code altogether or not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
No, Superchips will only clear the code. I know what the CEL is telling me I just don't like driving around with it on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts