Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to order some brake pads online (feel free to make suggestions), front and rear for a 2006 SE. I asked my regular mechanic what he would charge just for labor and he said 80 an axle - 160 total. I said "come on you do better than that, it's an easy job". He basically told me to go look somewhere else, he has plenty of work. I went somewhere else and they quoted me 150 for 2 hrs labor. Based on the write-ups I've read on the forum, it seems like 150 is a bit much. Am I right or am I just cheap? If anyone knows someone in Southeastern Mass that they would like to refer me to, go ahead.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Why don't you just do it yourself if you want to save money.

160 labor for all four corners isn't bad at all. That's $40 a corner to pull the wheel, unbolt one of the caliper bolts to rotate it up to get access to the pads, pull them off, clean the dust boots, retract the calipers, place the new pads, grease the slides, and the put the whole thing back together.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It's very easy to do and the satisfaction knowing you did them yourself is quite rewarding. Save your money.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I got my pads changed last year, and was charged for 2 hours...at $50 an hour. So I only paid $100 to have all 4 corners changed out. Oh, that's Canadian $ to boot!

If you don't want to change them yourself, then look around for a garage that has a lower hourly rate. 2 hours is what they should be charging you...no more than that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The going rate for mechanical work is up there, so shop around to get the best deal. Also be aware of the rotor wear. If they're out of tolerance they'll need to be changed, a good mechanic will use a micrometer to ensure they meet the recommended specs, specs will normally be stamped on the rotor itself. If they say the're bad and the mechanic suggests you change them, have them show you how he came to that conclusion to ensure you don't get taken advantaged of.

If I was in your area all I'd ask for is a case of beer and good company, but I enjoy turning wrenches.

Good luck, even though your a Sox fan!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I got my pads changed last year, and was charged for 2 hours...at $50 an hour. So I only paid $100 to have all 4 corners changed out. Oh, that's Canadian $ to boot!

If you don't want to change them yourself, then look around for a garage that has a lower hourly rate. 2 hours is what they should be charging you...no more than that.
I did mine for free :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I did mine for free :biggrinjester:
I was just too lazy to do mine! Next time, I'll do 'em myself! I have to take my pads out and apply some of that anti-squeal stuff to 'em..my pads are brand new from Sept of last year (I store the car in the winter) and they are squeaking like crazy...90% of the time. I'll also lube the sliding pin while I'm at it.

BTW, are your calipers painted black? Seems like mine are from the factory...and are still in great shape. Just wondering...

I was going to paint them red, but may just leave them. OR I may paint them Top Banana Yellow.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
As others already have said, I'd recommend doing it your self. It's very easy and you only need basic tools, nothing more then a jack, 2 stands, and a couple of wrenches.

·
Registered
8,912 Posts
Yep- check the write-ups on the forums! I've swapped pads on mine a few times now, I can do all 4 in about an hour! :grin:

I did have some vehicles in the past that I refused to do the brakes on. These are really simple. ;)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The going rate for mechanical work is up there, so shop around to get the best deal. Also be aware of the rotor wear. If they're out of tolerance they'll need to be changed, a good mechanic will use a micrometer to ensure they meet the recommended specs, specs will normally be stamped on the rotor itself. If they say the're bad and the mechanic suggests you change them, have them show you how he came to that conclusion to ensure you don't get taken advantaged of.

If I was in your area all I'd ask for is a case of beer and good company, but I enjoy turning wrenches.

Good luck, even though your a Sox fan!
See, we can put our differences aside to help someone out.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As others already have said, I'd recommend doing it your self. It's very easy and you only need basic tools, nothing more then a jack, 2 stands, and a couple of wrenches.
Did you need clamps to compress the pistons in order to compensate for the new pads thickness?

·
Registered
8,912 Posts
Yes. I use one of the Quick-Grip clamps (easy one-hand operation), and use the old pad in there. Make sure the cap is off the fluid res., too. ;)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Did you need clamps to compress the pistons in order to compensate for the new pads thickness?
I forgot about that.

Yes. I use one of the Quick-Grip clamps (easy one-hand operation), and use the old pad in there. Make sure the cap is off the fluid res., too. ;)
What he said.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
theres more to it then just throwing pads onthe car-and what about cutting the rotors?
$115 A HOUR LABOR CHARGE is normal in auto sevice.
CORVETTES PAY $225 A HOUR
$175 A HOUR FOR LEXUS AND EXOTICS pay $300 and up a hour for labor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I used one of those piston compression tools from Sears that cost $5... worked perfectly on my 3.5l brakes.

I changed my brakes a few months ago (first time!) and it was MUCH easier than i expected. What worried me the most was bleeding the brakes but that was even easier than changing the pads. I used the ebc greenstuff pads and i'm really happy with the braking compared to stock - they're a bit dustier but the stopping power is nice.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
I used one of those piston compression tools from Sears that cost $5... worked perfectly on my 3.5l brakes.
I've got one of these too. Works great.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks guys, I swapped all 4 pads out in over an hour. i went one tire at a time. hardest part was jacking the car up and taking off the tire. Piece of cake.
I used Wagner Thermo Quiets, cost me 70 for all 4 and no squealing. Best part is they are made in the USA.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts