Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have stock exhaust, and I am looking to upgrade it. I don't a preference in brands, but I am looking to get the best deal that I can. I currently inquired at a muffler shop by my house, and this what they told me;

We do not offer the Borla brand.We do make a Cat-Back system using the Magnaflow mufflers. This system is 565.00 parts & labor. The cold air kits do work well with the exhaust upgrade. We can get the K & N kit for 459.95 and install for an additional 90.00. If you would like to do both at the same time I will offer them for 999.95, plus tax. We have everything in stock for the exhaust, but it will take one day to get the cold air kit. Let me know and I will order it ahead of time.

So basically it's 565 for a magnaflow muffler catback set. What I wanted to know is if this is a good price or should I be looking around still?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
So I have stock exhaust, and I am looking to upgrade it. I don't a preference in brands, but I am looking to get the best deal that I can. I currently inquired at a muffler shop by my house, and this what they told me;

We do not offer the Borla brand.We do make a Cat-Back system using the Magnaflow mufflers. This system is 565.00 parts & labor. The cold air kits do work well with the exhaust upgrade. We can get the K & N kit for 459.95 and install for an additional 90.00. If you would like to do both at the same time I will offer them for 999.95, plus tax. We have everything in stock for the exhaust, but it will take one day to get the cold air kit. Let me know and I will order it ahead of time.

So basically it's 565 for a magnaflow muffler catback set. What I wanted to know is if this is a good price or should I be looking around still?

It's not a catback. They will use Magnaflow mufflers and bend the pipes (aluminized steel most likely) themselves. A true stainless steel magnaflow catback will run you 800-1200 bucks online.

The K&N cold air intake is terrible and his price of 500 for it is obscene! It's nowhere near that price anywhere.

The price for the custom exhaust sounds about right, slightly steep. 450-500 is usually what a handmade exhaust will cost.

If I were you I would look online for a catback. Order it and then have a shop install it for you. You want a stainless steel system. You can find a full catback for a great price online. Do some research and see what brands/sounds you like.

If you wanted borla...a Borla catback is pricey, over 1000. You can always order borla mufflers and have this shop bend the pipes for you but I think that's a waste. You have a high quality stainless steel exhaust from the factory on the car already. Don't replace it with cheap aluminized steel piping the exhaust shop will use. They're bending isn't precise either, it's all eyeballed. Buy a good catback exhaust with precise mandrel bends from a reputable vendor.

If you're going to replace your stock exhaust and spend 500 something bucks, you need to replace it with something of as good or better quality than your stock system. The exhaust shop you spoke to will not provide that. Trust me, I've been down that road. I was much happier with a good system I bought online.

Spend some time on the forum researching. Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You can get a slp catback or jba catback for a nice price magnaflows sound good to and k&n kinda sucks on these cars an 450$ for it is not worth it and 90$ for it to be installed it's takes like 20 minutes

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
You can get a slp catback or jba catback for a nice price magnaflows sound good to and k&n kinda sucks on these cars an 450$ for it is not worth it and 90$ for it to be installed it's takes like 20 minutes

True. SLP, JBA, and Dynomax are some very respected catbacks that are very affordable. I bought my SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust for 550, shipped to me for free.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks this is kind of the reason why I asked, I truthfully don't know much about cars or services and I'm shopping around and I wanted a general consensous of just how much should I be looking to spend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not a catback. They will use Magnaflow mufflers and bend the pipes (aluminized steel most likely) themselves. A true stainless steel magnaflow catback will run you 800-1200 bucks online.

The K&N cold air intake is terrible and his price of 500 for it is obscene! It's nowhere near that price anywhere.

The price for the custom exhaust sounds about right, slightly steep. 450-500 is usually what a handmade exhaust will cost.

If I were you I would look online for a catback. Order it and then have a shop install it for you. You want a stainless steel system. You can find a full catback for a great price online. Do some research and see what brands/sounds you like.

If you wanted borla...a Borla catback is pricey, over 1000. You can always order borla mufflers and have this shop bend the pipes for you but I think that's a waste. You have a high quality stainless steel exhaust from the factory on the car already. Don't replace it with cheap aluminized steel piping the exhaust shop will use. They're bending isn't precise either, it's all eyeballed. Buy a good catback exhaust with precise mandrel bends from a reputable vendor.

If you're going to replace your stock exhaust and spend 500 something bucks, you need to replace it with something of as good or better quality than your stock system. The exhaust shop you spoke to will not provide that. Trust me, I've been down that road. I was much happier with a good system I bought online.

Spend some time on the forum researching. Let me know if you have any other questions.
I had a buddy tell me about just deleting the resonator's but I don't know if that will harm the car or if it will effect the car's longevity.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Yeah it won't hurt anything. You'll have some "drone" but it's the cheapest sound boost.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just chopped the resonators last week, it sounds like @ss through the suit cases over 3500rpm. My SLP LM1 will be here Monday.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Take a little time and shop around online. Any muffler shop can install these clamp on cat back that you bring with you for around $100. I'd look for another shop though if they're charging $90 for a CAI install, that's absurd.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Flowmaster is offering rebates on their exhaust systems right now through autoanything, that's what I did on mine. Paid about $560 and put it on myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did my car 2 days ago, i bought flowmaster delta 40 mufflers, and delete the resonators. Had a shop install for 90 dollars. Also i did a CAI (airaid ) and what a difference..

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I just bought the dynomax 39518 off of amazon for 323. But I received some amazon gift cards and in the end paid about 218. Steal of a deal if you ask me. I can't wait to get the system. Still thinking about whether I'm going to do the install myself and save some money or take it to a shop and have it done. Also want to put quad tips on.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I just bought the dynomax 39518 off of amazon for 323. But I received some amazon gift cards and in the end paid about 218. Steal of a deal if you ask me. I can't wait to get the system. Still thinking about whether I'm going to do the install myself and save some money or take it to a shop and have it done. Also want to put quad tips on.
That's a good deal let us know how it sounds I like dynomax

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
That's a good deal let us know how it sounds I like dynomax
Will do. I think I'll be getting it tomorrow or Tuesday so I'll probably be putting it in this week.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also bought the Dynomax on Amazon, paid a local shop $75.00 to put it on. Well worth it, woke the car up and sounds great. Not annoyingly loud, but louder than the Scatpack I test drove Saturday.
It does drone some when MDS kicks in about 1500-2500 RPM. Overall probably the best $400 I've spent on a mod. I kept the stock exhaust "just in case". It is huge if you leave it together as I did, and weighs at least twice what the Dynomax does.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I also bought the Dynomax on Amazon, paid a local shop $75.00 to put it on. Well worth it, woke the car up and sounds great. Not annoyingly loud, but louder than the Scatpack I test drove Saturday.
It does drone some when MDS kicks in about 1500-2500 RPM. Overall probably the best $400 I've spent on a mod. I kept the stock exhaust "just in case". It is huge if you leave it together as I did, and weighs at least twice what the Dynomax does.
Nice. Have you noticed a performance increase?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice. Have you noticed a performance increase?
Definitely an increase. One of my friends has a Honda Accord with a V6 that runs pretty good. A few months ago from a 50MPH rolling start he hung with me to 100, then we backed off for traffic. Same spot 2 weeks ago, and he was looking at taillights as I walked away. He was amazed an exhaust made that big of a difference.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Definitely an increase. One of my friends has a Honda Accord with a V6 that runs pretty good. A few months ago from a 50MPH rolling start he hung with me to 100, then we backed off for traffic. Same spot 2 weeks ago, and he was looking at taillights as I walked away. He was amazed an exhaust made that big of a difference.
Wow that's encouraging to find out. Now I'm really looking forward to it! Thanks man!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Was the honda stock?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts