Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the best mods to improve all around performance on this vehicle also I can't find a reliable front split wirh rods Any help?? Also apparently I need a shaker hood to install a cold air intake all help appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
No need for a shaker hood for the CAI. Check out LMI. For the slitter with rods try BMC

For performance you need to let us know how much power you want to add and $$ willing to spend. The first hing I usually do to a new car for performance is to change out the rear differential to a numerically higher gear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That helps alot and performance I ultimately just want it to be better all around better traction better acceleration and handling I'm in the $-$$$ price range I guess lol as far as making it louder I don't really care for it it is loud enough i appreciate the reply!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have no idea what a
rear differential to a numerically higher gear.

Means at all I'm super green in the car area

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Not sure what gear ratio you have but when going to a higher numerically gear say from 2.65 to 3.06, the car will accelerate faster. Anywhere from 0.2 to 0.4 seconds faster going 0-60. (Depending on the gears.) Check out your build sheet to find out what gears you have. Just back out the vin on this link and add your vin. It will tell you the differential type and gearing:

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Depends on the Differential you get, whether new or from junk yard ect... They have 3.06, 3.73 (I think is ideal) and the 3.91 Getrag differentials. You need a tuner (Diablo sport or HP) to change the gear ratio, axles (Half shafts) left and right, and coupler. I paid right aroung $2000 for all new parts and labor. I already had a tuner but you can get one for around $350.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh ok thanks for all the help so far I wonder why the dealership dude said I needed a shaker hood for a CAI

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
Most like.y does not know what he is talking about. A CAI with the shaker just puts ambient air directly over the CAI so your Air Intake Temps remain low. You can do the same thing with a LMI True CAI where the filter is placed lower by the wheel well out of the engine bay.

FWIW, A CAI with shaker or LMI are not going to get you more than 10 hp gain if that much. Not anything you would be able to feel in the seat The MOPAR CAI that resides in the engine bay in place of the filter you currently have will get you maybe a 5 hp gain with proper tune. Most all CAI are just for Looks and Sound

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh ok I appreciate your patience of breaking this down to me. What is a LX or LC in reference to the cai link you sent me I have a 5.7 not a 6.4 and also that other link was great but only had the split for a SRT not a RT

·
Premium Member
2,999 Posts
The LX platform is Chrysler's and Dodge full-size rear wheel drive automobile platform introduced in 2004 The LA platform code has been used for the updated Dodge Challenger beginning in the 2015 model year. (From the encylopedia) LOL

For the splitter look for something like this on the internet: I would stick to carbon fiber and not fiberglass

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man you are awesome but my cars an AWD so which of these intakes should I buy that'll fit right and require a new good

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Ok thank you I appreciate y'all and tolerating my ignorance lol
Only one way to learn lol. Just a tidbit, the reason that distinction is important is because LX through 2010 uses one style hydraulic power steering with remote reservoir; the LD through 2014 uses a wholly integrated PS pump so the housing for the air intake filter is shaped very differently.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
That's because Legmakers get rid of the airbox portion (check their pictures for LX/LC); at that point one for a 5.7 will fit any 5.7 car. FYI except for the ones that go down into the fenderwell, all those LMI's are HOT air intakes, as they draw air directly from underhood and not anywhere outside.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts