Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Charger R/T AWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new to the forum I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues like I'm having. Current mod list is bbk shorty headers trubends 2.5" midpipe back exhaust volant cold air intake mmx ported 87mm throttle body ported 392 intake with active runner switch diablo trinity platinum with diablo tune. I have a mopar performance cam with springs and mds delete kit ready to go in but just haven't had the time.

So the story is I've done all but the cam and mds and the car doesn't feel as if it's any quicker. It's a bit more responsive but nothing overly noticeable. I can say with headers exhaust and the cai pre diablo tune it felt better. After the diablo tune it didn't feel any better maybe a bit worse. I feel that with all of the other mods it's back to pre diablo tune after some mods. Any suggestions on what to check or try? I am a mopar tech and am able to do everything as far as work myself. Just throwing this out there for anyone's thoughts or suggestions on what to try.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Shorty headers and exhaust won't give you more than 2-3hp, if that (even over the 5.7 log manifold). The intake might give you 5 (unless you have the SRV activated by window switch at 4800) and the throttle body is generally a waste of money at your level of mods. Pre- Diablo tune, you might have increased 6-8hp, which would be very hard to feel.

Your best bet would be to email a few logs to one of the known tuners (Jay G, Satera, etc) that do email tunes and let them write you a real tune for it. THAT you'll feel.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Charger R/T AWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. That's what I was thinking but it may be better to do the cam swap then get the tune done? I do have the srv switch functioning. Thinking maybe to save money in the long run.. even though modding doesn't really come cheap. But it's fun after it gets all buttoned up. Lol.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Shorty headers and exhaust won't give you more than 2-3hp, if that (even over the 5.7 log manifold). The intake might give you 5 (unless you have the SRV activated by window switch at 4800) and the throttle body is generally a waste of money at your level of mods. Pre- Diablo tune, you might have increased 6-8hp, which would be very hard to feel.

Your best bet would be to email a few logs to one of the known tuners (Jay G, Satera, etc) that do email tunes and let them write you a real tune for it. THAT you'll feel.

You must have the worlds worst tuner if that's all you got from that stuff. The log manifolds suck ass. Shorties and the 6.4 intake should be good for somewhere in the neighborhood of 30hp with a good tune. There are dyno charts showing that around if you search.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
You must have the worlds worst tuner if that's all you got from that stuff. The log manifolds suck ass. Shorties and the 6.4 intake should be good for somewhere in the neighborhood of 30hp with a good tune. There are dyno charts showing that around if you search.
Did you notice I said "Unless you have the SRV functioning"?

I'm not basing his results on my build, I'm a little beyond where he is. I'm going off of friends that have already done all that stuff and how they ended up.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ok. That's what I was thinking but it may be better to do the cam swap then get the tune done? I do have the srv switch functioning. Thinking maybe to save money in the long run.. even though modding doesn't really come cheap. But it's fun after it gets all buttoned up. Lol.
Depends on how you want to be cost wise and how close you are to having the cam installed. If you're ready now, then yes, save the money. If you're a few months from the install, get the tune now and have some fun until then.

How does the bottom end look? Did you do a compression test to make sure the rings aren't ready to crap the bed?

If all else fails and you're not making enough power, forge it and force it

·
Registered
18 Scat Pack Charger and a bunch of Mopar trucks
13 Posts
Have you datalogged to make sure fuel quality is actually good? It’s easy for knock to start chipping away gains when it starts pulling timing.

Your setup is literally what I did recently on a Mopar 11 Charger, and the difference was night and day.

I tuned his with my HPtuners instead of my Diablo CMR because of the HPtuners transmission control. But there is still very nice gains to be had with a CMR tune over the canned tune, even without tuning the trans.

But you should totally be feeling a nice difference.

Do you have a diablo data log with cruising and some WOT you could post?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Did you notice I said "Unless you have the SRV functioning"?

I'm not basing his results on my build, I'm a little beyond where he is. I'm going off of friends that have already done all that stuff and how they ended up.

Even with just the shorty headers only a couple horsepower is a joke. I stand by what I said.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
275 Posts
When modding for Horse Power, I always find a trip the drag strip first to get a few base times down and then after your mod's go back and see if you gained anything. Usually a Butt dyno doesn't always tell the truth either way. Sometimes you get excited that you did mod's and fool yourself into thinking it did something or not.
A actual Dyno test is also a real way to know if your making progress.

·
Registered
2013 Charger R/T AWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a good perspective to have. And maybe I'm being an amateur in my perspective. I guess my comparison in modding was from my 93 3000gt vr4 injectors and fuel pump boom felt it was faster upgraded turbos and piping really felt that too. So maybe since I'm not in a boosted application it may not feel as dramatic as what I'm used to. Lol.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
275 Posts
That's a good perspective to have. And maybe I'm being an amateur in my perspective. I guess my comparison in modding was from my 93 3000gt vr4 injectors and fuel pump boom felt it was faster upgraded turbos and piping really felt that too. So maybe since I'm not in a boosted application it may not feel as dramatic as what I'm used to. Lol.
I use to own a 1987 Buick Grand National which had a 3.8L SFI Turbo engine. When I did mod's to that car, you felt everything especially Turbo's and intercooler upgrades. 1lb boost increase was like night and day.
On non boosted engines your not going to feel huge increase like that unless you do a bunch of things all at once and add 30+ HP . Example is the CAI systems usually only add a few HP and with if they sounded exactly the same you wouldn't notice hardly any difference. Mainly just throttle response seems to change ever so slightly.

·
Registered
2013 Charger R/T AWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's pretty much all I notice is a bit more throttle response at highway cruising. 70mph roll on the throttle and it feels more responsive nothing crazy but it's there.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Wanted to share, the 6.4 intake is not as much (from what I have read) a power adder, as much it creates a broader power band for power.

Just throwing name brand or typically parts at a car does not make good power. Building a thought out researched build does.

·
Registered
2013 Charger R/T AWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with the thought out build my plans were to have all supporting mods for the cam swap as to not really have a choke point or a part that could help efficiency.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah, definitely get some logs and post them. Hopefully they’ll post on this site. If not you can email them to me, or anyone else on here that would want to look them over. [email protected]

We’re going side by side riding today, so it would be later this evening until I could look them over for ya.

Get a launch from a stop in the log too. That way we can see if the throttle blade is actually opening up all the way, without any delay in the tune.

·
Registered
2013 Charger R/T AWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Testing out to see if I can view a 30second log on my computer so I can try to send it or post it on here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sweet. As long as you downloaded Diablo data viewer on your computer, you just save the log from the tool onto the computer. Then open the log up in data viewer. The time stamps for the log in the actual tool are always wrong, so don’t let that freak you out. You can also delete logs off the tool too, so it doesn’t get confusing if you do a bunch.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts