Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Charger R/T and have done the basic bolt-ons: CAI, Corsa cat-back, Diablo tuner, 180 stat, catch can. The car is going to be a daily driver for a couple more years with runs at our local strip a couple of times a month. Once I retire it to the garage, I'd like to further crank up the HP to the 650 to 700 range. The car currently has 75k mostly highway miles on it.

Initially, I would like to get up to the 500 HP range and lay some groundwork for the bigger HP to come later with the funds I have set aside now. I had very little background in engines before a bought the hemi a year ago. Since then, I've done a lot of reading here and elsewhere and basically know now how much I don't know. I've got some idea of what breaks at what HP level, but I'm unsure about how to go about prioritizing things and selecting upgrades that will bring improvements now that won't have to be chucked when adding FI down the road. I was thinking of doing forged internals, heads, cam, long tube headers with this first go, but I'm not sure where this will put me or if there are any other preventative upgrades I should do with it.

If I'm on the right track, what would be a good cam/head combo that would carry through when the SC is added? I don't care about maintaining the MDS, as I already disabled it due to sound issues with the new cat-back. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Good luck man, sounds like you have plenty of options. All I know is that big HP build start from the bottom up!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I've had a few years and cars with a buncha mods on them... Right now, I'd say if you have $10k to do something with, find a good investment that will earn some decent interest! :)

Not nearly as much fun, I know, but it's becoming an important concern for me these days...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had a few years and cars with a buncha mods on them... Right now, I'd say if you have $10k to do something with, find a good investment that will earn some decent interest! :)

Not nearly as much fun, I know, but it's becoming an important concern for me these days...
Shhhhhhh... Calling this an "investment" help me sell it to the wife...

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Unless its vintage original from the factory anything with wheels is never an investment! Cmawn!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would trade in for an SRT8, and then get some bolt ons similar, if not exactly what you have on your current setup

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would trade in for an SRT8, and then get some bolt ons similar, if not exactly what you have on your current setup
Ugh. I know you're right. I would have went that route, but got a steal on the R/T. Since I was going to get a new daily driver in a couple of years anyway, maybe keep the R/T in that role and buy an SRT8 to mod. There would be a lot less to do to make 700, for sure.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Ugh. I know you're right. I would have went that route, but got a steal on the R/T. Since I was going to get a new daily driver in a couple of years anyway, maybe keep the R/T in that role and buy an SRT8 to mod. There would be a lot less to do to make 700, for sure.
As long as you get a pre-2012. The newest 6.4L need internal engine work before boosting.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Humm I say do your upgrade. You only live once.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That sounds like the best idea. To me, R/T's are really just fun family sedans, meant for daily use. The SRT's are the truest sports car in the lineup, and it would be more logical to put the work in on that. And you could definitely keep a good chunk of that 10k if you traded for a pre-11 SRT. Heck, you could even look at the Challenger if you wanted that 6spd manual.But that's just what I would do in your situation. Or, take 5k to put into your current Charger, and put the rest in mutual funds or something, you know to make the wife happy :beerchug:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds like the best idea. To me, R/T's are really just fun family sedans, meant for daily use. The SRT's are the truest sports car in the lineup, and it would be more logical to put the work in on that. And you could definitely keep a good chunk of that 10k if you traded for a pre-11 SRT. Heck, you could even look at the Challenger if you wanted that 6spd manual.But that's just what I would do in your situation. Or, take 5k to put into your current Charger, and put the rest in mutual funds or something, you know to make the wife happy :beerchug:
Sage advice. I'll throw a cam and headers on the R/T and call it a day. I'll put the rest towards a 09/10 6spd Challenger SRT8... and it's because I fully subscribe to the old adage "happy wife, happy life" that I get to do these things. Too bad it took me so long to figure it out... :beerchug:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Give the wife the R/T, and buy a 06-10 SRT8, And live happy.
Great idea, but she has a Mini Cooper S she's in love with. Her vanity plate references being very small. I have to wear a disguise whenever I'm forced to drive it anywhere...

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
If your trying to lay down the ground work for a 650-700hp car you need to start with a forged bottom end. Put a good cam in that will also be good for F/I and stay with stock heads for the time being. Next in the list is a trans as the stockers start breaking at 500-550. Then you need to worry about the driveshaft, rearend, and axles. The driveshaft starts breaking around 10-9 sec pass. A getrag diff is good to 600-650. There's alot more to supporting that kinda power besides a forged motor.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
By the way getrags come out of srt cars. You should have a 215mm open diff in your car.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
First off let me say PatrickY, that is a very unique Blacktop, love the color scheme well done! I would love some pics! Some dirty pix too! What?i love these cars! Lol
Second, with 10k, give this to your wife, thus u can also use, and lay the 10k on the new SRT!
Double the enjoyment!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Why does everyone keep saying buy and srt?? That doesn't put him any closer to his goal. He get a few more cubes and brakes, big deal. You can build a 6.1 or 392 stroker that makes more hp than stock srt. Put the money in what you have especially if its paid for!

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Why does everyone keep saying buy and srt?? That doesn't put him any closer to his goal. He get a few more cubes and brakes, big deal. You can build a 6.1 or 392 stroker that makes more hp than stock srt. Put the money in what you have especially if its paid for!
True, but who wouldnt like both an RT and an SRT together in the stable!?
yum!

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
With 10k I'd add a blower like a Magnuson or procharger. Get a tune. Swap the rear for a 3.73 getrag and add a 3200 rpm stall torque converter. Then maybe add srt8 shorties and a 2.75" catback. I did just about all that for 10k and I'm putting down 478 rwhp and running 11.79 in the quarter mile.

Btw I'm in the middle of my new build and will have a lot of this for sale soon.

Magnuson chrome supercharger with 6 and 8lb boost pullies. 3200 rpm stall, srt shorties and magnaflow hi flow mids. Pm me if youre interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With 10k I'd add a blower like a Magnuson or procharger. Get a tune. Swap the rear for a 3.73 getrag and add a 3200 rpm stall torque converter. Then maybe add srt8 shorties and a 2.75" catback. I did just about all that for 10k and I'm putting down 478 rwhp and running 11.79 in the quarter mile.

Btw I'm in the middle of my new build and will have a lot of this for sale soon.

Magnuson chrome supercharger with 6 and 8lb boost pullies. 3200 rpm stall, srt shorties and magnaflow hi flow mids. Pm me if youre interested.
You were able to run that with everything else stock without over stressing anything (for that price, I take it you kept the stock axles and shaft)? How's the 3.73 for a daily driver with some highway travel? I was planning on a 3.55 up to this point as a compromise. Any reason you went srt8 shorties instead of long tubes besides emissions? I was looking at Kooks long tubes with high flow cats.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts