Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question to you : Mono Amp rated for 175 W @ 4 ohm load or 325 W @ 2 ohm load

Would a Dual voice coil 12 wired to present a 2 ohm load produce more in cabin bass than a pair of single voice coil 12's that are wired to present a 2 ohm load?

Basically 325 x1 or 162.5 x 2

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was at a show a couple of weeks ago and witnessed a single 12 hitting 143DB powered by a 1000 watt amp.. Pretty impressive..

So, 1 or 2? If space isn't an issue, why not run two? I'd say you need more power though, personally.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm not a rockstar audio genius or anything, but I do have some band/guitar related experience, and I'd have to say what might otherwise probably be logically deduced.

Split the power between two speakers and you'll be moving twice as much air. Granted, they won't be getting the same amount of power as your single unit.

It takes a substantially larger amount of energy to increase decibel levels- A speaker receiving twice the wattage does not produce twice the volume level. The 'decibel' itself, as a unit, is something often greatly misunderstood, or of which people are ill informed.

Think of it like this, perhaps? - A bass player in a band (or a guitar player, for that matter) often uses an amp with 15" speakers (12" for a guitar player), of which there are usually four speakers. When that person wants to 'increase their power' they don't simply get a higher wattage amp, but rather often add more speakers powered at the same rate. You go from four speakers (a 'halfstack') to eight (a 'full stack'), or from two (a 'combo') to four (again, a 'halfstack').

·
Registered
7 Posts
My question to you : Mono Amp rated for 175 W @ 4 ohm load or 325 W @ 2 ohm load

Would a Dual voice coil 12 wired to present a 2 ohm load produce more in cabin bass than a pair of single voice coil 12's that are wired to present a 2 ohm load?

Basically 325 x1 or 162.5 x 2

Your thoughts?
Due to lack of space and an odd shaped trunk I decided to go with a single sub a 2 ohm dual vioce coil,by wiring it parallel you drop the resistance down to 1ohm which should almost double the amps efficiency, I have a Soundstream SPLX 15" DVC on a Sundown Audio 1500d, by running it this way I get about 1500watts RMS, If I used a 4ohm DVC my load would be 2ohms, but that drops my RMS down around 700watts. and by using one sub you can fit a larger enclosure dimensions( the larger the box the lower the frequency, within reason). for instance I have a 3.0cubic foot enclosure, which reproduces sounds between 35 and 40Hz( that deep ****). If I could have fitted a 5.0c.u. ft enclosure I could get below 30Hz.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm not a rockstar audio genius or anything, but I do have some band/guitar related experience, and I'd have to say what might otherwise probably be logically deduced.

Split the power between two speakers and you'll be moving twice as much air. Granted, they won't be getting the same amount of power as your single unit.

It takes a substantially larger amount of energy to increase decibel levels- A speaker receiving twice the wattage does not produce twice the volume level. The 'decibel' itself, as a unit, is something often greatly misunderstood, or of which people are ill informed.

Think of it like this, perhaps? - A bass player in a band (or a guitar player, for that matter) often uses an amp with 15" speakers (12" for a guitar player), of which there are usually four speakers. When that person wants to 'increase their power' they don't simply get a higher wattage amp, but rather often add more speakers powered at the same rate. You go from four speakers (a 'halfstack') to eight (a 'full stack'), or from two (a 'combo') to four (again, a 'halfstack').
more speakers don't necessarily increase the volume( decibels), true you move more air with more subs but we aren't trying to power a leaf blower,bust the trunk latch or the windows, so the only reason you would be concerned with the volume of air displaced is if the area you are trying to fit the sub in doesn't have enough volume( cu. feet). which results in lease volume( decibels) due to the restricted air movement.

·
Registered
177 Posts
more speakers don't necessarily increase the volume(decibels), He asked about increasing cabin bass, not 'volume', per se

true you move more air with more subs but we aren't trying to power a leaf blower,bust the trunk latch or the windows Right, we're looking for in-cabin bass

the only reason you would be concerned with the volume of air displaced is if the area you are trying to fit the sub in doesn't have enough volume( cu. feet). which results in lease volume( decibels) due to the restricted air movement.

How does this work, precisely? What's the direct correlation between room volume (or, in this case, trunk), and the speaker's volume output? Isn't the point of having a speaker box, and porting it properly, to control (restrict) the amount of resistance a sub/speaker has at a given amplitude?

·
Registered
7 Posts
here's my two cents:

two twelves will always move more air than one, given they are the same twelves. you do get more air movement (more bass) with more speakers. There does have to be a line drawn somewhere though so you pretty much have to decide the number you have space for.

multiple voice coils means better bass (higher quality not quantity) and possibly longer excersion which means that a single speaker can handle more power. If the quality of the speaker is high enough you can get away with a single coil as subwoofers are more about rumble than crisp highs but a lot of people i have met say they can tell the difference. however, multiple voice coils also means more power handling and usually the most power wins. unless you want to argue efficiency and then the most efficient with the highest power wins.

when you figure power output you add wattage across each voltage drop (voice coil) so it's 325 x 2 or 325 x 2 in both cases of speakers. in the first you would have a dual voice coil and in the second two speakers. theoretically they would sound the same as they have the same power going to them. two of the same speaker though would double your power output and definately sound better as that would give you the 325 x 4.

deciBels are measured logarhythmically: they are orders of magnitude larger than each other, so: a sound which is 10 times more intense (louder) is assigned a sound level of 10 dB. A sound which is 10*10 or 100 times more intense is assigned a sound level of 20 db. A sound which is 10*10*10 or 1000 times more intense is assigned a sound level of 30 db. A sound which is 10*10*10*10 or 10000 times more intense is assigned a sound level of 40 db and so on.

the box you put the speaker in has to do with the frequencies of the sounds you want to get out of it. the larger the box the lower the frequencies as higher frequencies tend to get swallowed by the box and you won't hear them as much. The box will also resonate the sound waves and make them louder and the bigger the box the bigger the soundwaves the box can resonate, the bigger the soundwave the lower the bass. the manufacturer of the sub is the best person to ask for max/min sizes of the box for any given sub. when you box a sub you want it to only produce those frequencies that put your hair back and knock stuff off your neighbor's walls, (about 20-100Htz).

ports are a way of making a small box seem bigger to the sound waves that are rolling around inside of it. the longer the tube the smaller the box can be but still resonate at a lower frequency.

wow, that was way more than i was going to say. anyway, hope that helps.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the helps Guys. Right now i an sticking with my single Kicker CVR 12 DVC with the FOsgate P325.1 . I built a custom sealed box that fills the back part of the trunk. FOr the type of music i listen to (Mostly rock and a lil country) it produces some nice clean low's . The box is so big i could easily put a new face on it to accomodate another 12 if that bug bites me .... anyways thanks agian and if anyone else has anything to add please feel free!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts