Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is the day! finally get a chance to go to the local drag strip.:driving: any advice, this will be the first time at the track. will be a small group of us all going down to race. ill post some pics,maybe a vid or 2 if i can. thanks for any advice! :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
have fun bud
Drop your tire pressure a little
avoid the water box on street tires if you can
if on street tires don't do to much of a burn out I've been told if they get to hot they get greasy
Have Fun, have more fun.......
the locale track to me, still isn't open (track repairs) :(
did find a 1/16 mile (330ft) track not far away. So tonight Im gonna go practice some launches

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. Ill be on street tires and will be able go around water box. An yup its gonna be alot of fun. You Have fun tonight an give er hell!

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Drop the rear tire pressure not the fronts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Now this worked on my 2012 srt8 jeep in the 1/8 mile so lets hope it will work for your 5.7. Pull out the stock air filter and get some unleaded vp109 and do a 50/50 mix with 91 or 93 as these mods will help lean down the stock or canned tune and help the pcm from pulling timing and with the added oxygen vp109 has it will help you make more hp. In the 1/8 mile at our track a bone stock srt8 jeep will run the 1/8 at 8.8/8.7 @ 78/79 mph and as im bone stock also i run the 1/8 in 8.20s in the mid to hi 82s. GOOD LUCK. Even with your 93 canned tune it should help.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey everyone thanks for the advice! im not gonna lie im not thrilled with the out come, BUT i will say it is all on me not my baby, lol. my reaction time was weak every time trying different rpms to launch at. with that, my best for the night and first time at track was 8.95 at 80.57mph. on the time slip im on the right #273. left was a good friend with a stock r/t

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
You have to remember that the DA has a lot to do with the tuning. If the water grains were up with the hi temps then there goes the tune and pcm pulling timing. 8.95 isnt bad at all for a 5.7 with a canned tune.
Heres your DA and the water grains at 112 was terrible for racing as was the DA altitude of 3076 ft.

temperature: 81 deg f @ 11:43pm 6/14/14
uncorrected barometer: 29.163 Hg
humidity: 69 %
vapor pressure: 1.067 Hg
dew point: 69.955 deg f
grains: 112.8 ( any thing over 50 is terrible for racing)
air density: 91.319 %
density altitude: 3,076.159 ft

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dumb question but what is water grains? I had downloaded an app for my phone for the DA readings but never really understood all of it so I deleted it. Ill reinstall it an try it out from time to time and see if I can get a better understanding

·
Registered
352 Posts
I sent you a pm on water grains. I see your track carries sunoco racing gas. Next time get some unleaded sunoco 104 and do at least a 50/50 mix or greater of it with your 91 or 93. The 104 isnt as good as vp109 but it will do the job even with a stock or canned tune. The most important thing is keeping the pcm from pulling timing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It will be a week or two before I make it back but ill try it. Thanks again for the help:beerchug:

·
Registered
350 Posts
You have to remember that the DA has a lot to do with the tuning. If the water grains were up with the hi temps then there goes the tune and pcm pulling timing. 8.95 isnt bad at all for a 5.7 with a canned tune.
Heres your DA and the water grains at 112 was terrible for racing as was the DA altitude of 3076 ft.

temperature: 81 deg f @ 11:43pm 6/14/14
uncorrected barometer: 29.163 Hg
humidity: 69 %
vapor pressure: 1.067 Hg
dew point: 69.955 deg f
grains: 112.8 ( any thing over 50 is terrible for racing)
air density: 91.319 %
density altitude: 3,076.159 ft
Damn. that 8.95 is pretty darn good considering the crappy air. had crappy air presure and high humidity. That is 1/8 mile time would probably be in the 13.85-13.95 range. to run that in those conditions is pretty good. Your corrected ET would probably be in the neghborhood of maybe 13.5-13.6. Nicely done

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn. that 8.95 is pretty darn good considering the crappy air. had crappy air presure and high humidity. That is 1/8 mile time would probably be in the 13.85-13.95 range. to run that in those conditions is pretty good. Your corrected ET would probably be in the neghborhood of maybe 13.5-13.6. Nicely done
Thanks lg68jcu! that makes me feel better:banana: i have a good starting point now and the boss (aka wifey) has given the green light to spend some money:woot:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bumping this thread again! we are going back to the track on the 19th. the car has had slpl lm1 added and been custom tuned by Johan, and is running great! hoping to beat my last trip, which i think shouldnt be to hard.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Right on! The key is to go out and have fun. Your reaction time doesn't affect your et or trap speed.
That's a good 60' for your first time out on stock tires.
Keep at it.
Btw, remember to disable traction control.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Focus on the tree! Stay positive and think about how you are gonna cut the perfect reaction time.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the help guys! We went again last night and had a blast! The night started off pretty good beating my previous best and then went down hill. LOL I had horrible traction the rest of the night. Which was a little disappointing as the car was running good. I tried different rpms, rolling in to throttle, holding the rpm off the line then roll in to it. Guess its time for some tires! And more practice:beerchug:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
Sometimes the track just goes away...
Still fun - but now you're in trouble. You will start looking at ways to go a bit faster, and faster and faster lol!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts