Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been offered a very sweet deal on a 2009 Charger RT (no road and track pkg). At the same time been looking at the 2010 Camaro top of the line model.

The price difference is about $17K.

Opinions anyone?

Thanks

Baz

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Been offered a very sweet deal on a 2009 Charger RT (no road and track pkg). At the same time been looking at the 2010 Camaro top of the line model.

Opinions anyone?

Thanks

Baz
What are you looking for in a car? Do you need a 4 door car, and how important is appearance to you? Some think the Camaro is great looking, some think is ranks among the ugliest of the GM products (just opinions on both sides)

If you only want performance you need to go with the Camaro as the Camaro will be a full second faster in the 1/4 (maybe a little more, maybe a little less). If you have other needs you should take a 2nd look at both.

For my personal needs the Charger fits my life much better - if I needed a 2 door car I would have to go with the Challenger, if I wanted a car faster than the Camaro and the Challenger, I would go with the Shelby (it is much higher priced than the Camaro, and higher priced than the Challenger)

So the real question is yours - what really matters to you - and what fits your budget and life style.

This is my opinion - the Charger is the best looking four door car out there - the Challenger is the best looking 2 door with the Shelby running 2nd.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Opinions anyone?
Thanks
Baz
Why the $17k difference? Is the Camaro being marked up? Charger marked down?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why the $17k difference? Is the Camaro being marked up? Charger marked down?
Both - local dealer wants to shift the charger and the local GM stealers want the best price for the ultra-new models....

Can add in:

I hate the GM dealers as I have had really bad experiences with them and they're the only act in town.
I like the dodge dealers - excellent experiences with them.

I love modding cars myself (have installed LSD's and turbos etc)

Kinda a no-brainer - just wanted some input from happy Charger owners, LOL

Baz

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
The Camaro is in essence a 2 seater. For some reason, its performance is significantly worse than the numbers indicate it should be. The styling is cartoonish. The original drawings seem to capture more of the 1st gen Camaro - which was an attactive car. They then bastardized the styling by giving it the squished roof/enormous sides that have become popular in recent years and kill styling. Just like the current Charger can't touch the 69 in styling, the new Camaro is a far cry from the original.

However, if you can get past the styling it certainly is a better value than the Challenger on a $/hp ratio.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'd take the Charger and pocket the cash. I'm assuming the Camaro is the Z28 SS. Either that or go with the Challenger R/T and save money or the SRT8 should be about the same as the Camaro. With the Challenger vs Camaro I think it is mainly individual opinion if you compare the SRT8 with the SS. I like either the Charger or Chally better than Camaro, but that's just me I'm not a big fan of the Camaro. Funny thing is I've had mostly Chevys (Monte SS, Z28, 2 Vettes). Camaro might have a slight edge over the Chally in the 1/4 because its a little bit lighter but I think style is a bigger factor than some fraction of a second on a race track when considering those cars. If you want a fast 2 door you could consider a slightly used C6 Corvette or maybe you could swing a leftover 09 at about the same price as a Camaro. 0-60 in the very low 4s and about 190 top speed, that's for the base model. The one car that Chevy gets right.

Another thing I don't like about Camaro is you either have to spend the dough on the SS or settle for a V6. At least with the Chally you can get the R/T.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
i would also have to say to go with the charger. you'll get a lot more out of it in the long run and can easily pocket that cash difference and immediately make it way faster than the camaro

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
There's 2 Camaro SS's running 12.90's and 12.80's with no mods other then muffler delete at Infineon...

Buy the Camaro!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
There's 2 Camaro SS's running 12.90's and 12.80's with no mods other then muffler delete at Infineon...

Buy the Camaro!!!!!
exactly, only two-probably experienced drivers. There are countless 5.7's running 12.5 and LOWER with wayy less than $17,000 in mods but this whole debate just goes back to the infamous "get a SRT or get a RT and mod it" question.

Just go with what you need, knowing you can have a 4 door car at equal speed with ease. If you like the camaro's aesthetics better, then get the camaro! If you have kids get the charger

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have always wanted to do a blower install with my own two hands. I have to admit I like the looks of the charger more- two or 4 doors isn't really a consideration.
Even with the cost of a supercharger kit factored in I'd be way ahead - both in power and $$

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I have always wanted to do a blower install with my own two hands. I have to admit I like the looks of the charger more- two or 4 doors isn't really a consideration.
Even with the cost of a supercharger kit factored in I'd be way ahead - both in power and $$
exactly, and the fact that you're in a 4 door "grocery grabber" (as the coupes call us) blowing all the 2 doors...doors off (lol) is another added factor of kickass

·
Registered
10,177 Posts

Buy the Camaro!!!!!
That is not impressive

There are several SRT8s bettering that with the same level of mods

·
Registered
294 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Buy the Charger, then use the extra 17k in cash you would have spent on the Camaro to mod it. End result = a Charger R/T that could smash the Camaro.

Personally, I like the front of the Camaro, but the back is absolutely hideous.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
First off don't get a first year model Camaro because all the kinks aren't worked out yet. It's a nice car but I would wait a couple yrs first. On the other hand just about all the kinks were worked out in the Charger and in 09 it's been upgraded.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts