Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the 08 SRT's have worse projected MPG on the window sticker than the 06 & 07's?

Did they change the requirements for reporting MPG or does the 08's actually get worse mileage? I hope they increased the power in the 6.1l after all if you have to pay the gas guzzler tax you might as well get the most out of it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Have no clue. Wish I could help.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I heard through the grapevine that the requirements for reporting MPG will change for 09-10- that's why we're seeing better looking numbers right now. wonder what to expect for next years "true" readings....16 hwy/???. Maybe someone will take the time to confirm- for now I'll just go with the rumor mill.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Does anyone know why the 08 SRT's have worse projected MPG on the window sticker than the 06 & 07's?

Did they change the requirements for reporting MPG or does the 08's actually get worse mileage? I hope they increased the power in the 6.1l after all if you have to pay the gas guzzler tax you might as well get the most out of it.
The reason the sticker reflects lower numbers is because the people that do the MPG tests for all the vehicles changed how they conduct their tests to reflect our modern driving habits (faster speeds on the highway, accelerating faster, etc.) so the numbers on the stickers are closer to what you can expect than before.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
DW< your right, the way the feds measure MPG has changed.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
See the link below. It will answer all your questions. You can go back to other cars and see new mileage figures for just about anything onthe road back to 1985. Play around with it. :)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/

·
Registered
189 Posts
I heard through the grapevine that the requirements for reporting MPG will change for 09-10- that's why we're seeing better looking numbers right now. wonder what to expect for next years "true" readings....16 hwy/???. Maybe someone will take the time to confirm- for now I'll just go with the rumor mill.
You are correct and win a cupie doll!

·
Registered
628 Posts
we all get above the projected mpg on the highway anyway

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I give it a year or two before manufacturers come out with PCM programming that is tailored to the new test schedule.

As it is, there is a significant portion of transmission shift calibration that is purely for EPA reasons. That bog-to-1000-RPM upshift that occurs when getting back on the throttle gently at around 18-20 mph? ... I'm sure that's for EPA (unless some moron f'ed up the factory calibration at that exact spot, but with the rest of the Hemi calibration so well done, I'd be surprised).

I don't think current models and powertrain combos will get any tweaking to match the new schedules, but look for new car models using existing powertrain combos to behave differently on the road (shift points, etc.). Or maybe new powertrain combos in existing models. I don't think existing powertrain/model combos will see any R&D money for this EPA-matching approach, unless there's a significant guzzler tax that will now be involved, and a potential for lost sales.

I just hope that the new schedule (and/or how Dodge decides to cater to it) doesn't bring on calibrations that reduce the car's driveability. I can live with that very rare dip-to-1000-RPM thing, I really DON'T want another car that shifts like the 2003 Marauders did from the factory!!!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
One more thing: I am usually able to get better MPG numbers than what's been published, as far as highway numbers go. City, it's a toss-up.

So if anything I always use the ratings to compare cars, not use the numbers as absolutes. Example: I noticed my 87 GTA is now rated at 23 highway (or 24, I can't remember). Originally rated at 25. I see the Charger Hemi is rated at the same. This tells me that they will probably deliver similar real-world numbers, whether better or worse. (in this case, better: I have seen absolute best long-term MPG results at 27.x MPG highway, never better).

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
One more thing: I am usually able to get better MPG numbers than what's been published, as far as highway numbers go. City, it's a toss-up.

So if anything I always use the ratings to compare cars, not use the numbers as absolutes. Example: I noticed my 87 GTA is now rated at 23 highway (or 24, I can't remember). Originally rated at 25. I see the Charger Hemi is rated at the same. This tells me that they will probably deliver similar real-world numbers, whether better or worse. (in this case, better: I have seen absolute best long-term MPG results at 27.x MPG highway, never better).
Exactly! These numbers are only for comparing cars in the same class. They are in no way what your guarenteed to get in your driving. They are close, but there are too many variables to pin-point true mileage as a standard. Everyone will get a different figure. :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
You can thank the new CAFE standards for reporting MPG!!! Pick up any issue of ECO TREND or Car & Conservation and you'll find articles about it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I give it a year or two before manufacturers come out with PCM programming that is tailored to the new test schedule.

As it is, there is a significant portion of transmission shift calibration that is purely for EPA reasons. That bog-to-1000-RPM upshift that occurs when getting back on the throttle gently at around 18-20 mph? ...
The OEM's aren't tuning for the EPA, they actually need to return decent "actual" miles for all the car mags and Consumer Reports.

Really, can anyone complain about their milage in the RT? It's got better milage than the Avenger with a V6 and over 100hp more!

And SRT's... well, with power comes respect and higher gas bills!

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Ladies, and gentlemen, you pay to play.
oh and I was thinking maybe the antanae cause so much wind resistance that it lowered the rating....

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
With oil bustin 100/barrell very soon, the govmnt (ie consumer) has had enough....supposedly there wont be much extrapolation in next years numbers. This year at the Tx State Fair, there were MANY MANY vehicles from diff makers with a big bold "18 city" in the window. This time last year, most said 24 or better.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.