Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this morning and the car simply wouldn't start (08 SXT). All lights came on, radio started up, dash instrument panel showed all the right/normal startup lights and the car chimed when the door was open with key in ignition. When I turned the ignition all the way over, all I heard were several clicks. The interior lights flashed on and off in synch with the clicks. That's all I got - nothing but clicking sounds. In the right instrument cluster, I saw a blue light flash on and off too (I have no idea what that is).

I waited about 5 minutes and tried again, this time turning the key to each position slowly and waiting a second or two. When I got to ACC, I heard a whirring sound coming from the back in the trunk (so I'm guessing it could be a battery issue maybe?). I've never paid attention or really noticed the noise before so I don't know if it's something new - generally the car starts up right away so I never really heard anything from back there. Anyway, the instrument panel mileage indicator went to 0 for a while, then went back to normal mileage reading (??) after several unsuccessful start attempts.

I know the lights being on and all of that may not be a proper indication of battery versus ignition so that wil be the first thing I check. I did notice when I was locking the car to come back inside that when I pressed the lock button on the fob, the horn sounded really weak. Again, I'm thinking possible battery issue (??).

After all the research I've done so far, I've read that it could be the keyfob (I only have one so I can't try to start with another key), the battery or the starter relay #9.

I have not tried to replace anything as of yet since it's Sunday morning and no auto parts stores are open just yet. I just wanted to post here first to see if anyone else has encountered the same thing and come up with a different diagnosis and/or solution.

Thx for the replies!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I must add that over the last few months or so, I've noticed a slight lag in startup. Nothing major and nothing that would've made me think something was up since the lag was hardly noticeable - but I'm thinking now that it could have been a warning sign. I don't know.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
When I changed alternators, I had this problem. I forgot to reattach one of the cables, so my battery wasn't getting charged. The fact that you hear clicking sounds like the starter works. Also, you have some power, so I assume the battery works to a certain extent. It could be that the alternator is bad, or maybe the power cables/grounds are loose.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Have you tried jumping it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, haven't tried jumping it yet.

And "bad alternator" is something I didn't want to even hear/consider - I don't have that kind of cash right now. :( Had to replace the alternator once (DIY) on my old Nissan Altima - what a pain in the ass.

Gonna go out and check all the connections in a bit. It's gonna rain today and I've gotta get on the road for business travel so I need to get this figured out ASAP.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
My wife's car is an altima, and I HATE working on that stupid car...

If you lived in the Columbus Ohio area, I'd give you my old alternator. It just collecting dust. A replacement is about $100. My 290amp alternator cost over $600.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - but I'm maybe a thousand miles away down in Virginia! LOL

Just checked the connections and all seems good. Tried starting again and this time I don't even get any clicks. I get all the dash lights but this time when I turn the ignition, I get bupkis - nada- zilch. Plus the alarm horn sounds even weaker now.

Gonna go get a battery (I think I need one anyway) and try to find a starter relay from the dealership and put that in and pray that does it. I REALLY don't want to have to have an alternator installed.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Battery is your problem. No reason paying money for anything else. Or at least a low battery is preventing you from starting the car, but as mentioned, the alternator could be going out which is why the battery is low. You can get both checked at the parts stores for free.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Battery is your problem. No reason paying money for anything else. Or at least a low battery is preventing you from starting the car, but as mentioned, the alternator could be going out which is why the battery is low. You can get both checked at the parts stores for free.
Yeh - soon as the wife gets back home, I'm going to get it towed to the local Pep Boys to have them check everything out.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I would just jump start it when she gets back and drive it there. No need paying for a tow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm the type that says "since I'm already payin for it (this being roadside assistance), I might as well use it" - LOL! Besides, I don't have jumper cables ...

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Besides, I don't have jumper cables ...
All you need is a roll of tinfoil, some string, and 4 potato chip bag holders.

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
62 Posts
It seemed like a lot of 08 owners had an issue with the 'starter relay' which you mentioned. And as I'm sure you read, it's a fairly easy/inexpensive fix. I recently encountered the same thing with a friends' 08 and the symptoms mirrored yours.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seemed like a lot of 08 owners had an issue with the 'starter relay' which you mentioned. And as I'm sure you read, it's a fairly easy/inexpensive fix. I recently encountered the same thing with a friends' 08 and the symptoms mirrored yours.
Thanks. Since it's pouring rain here now, I'll just have to change my schedule for tomorrow and take care of this. I also read about keyfob issues so I'm gonna go to the dealer, get the starter relay, new keyfob battery and see if that does the trick.

I went to buy a battery earlier (just as a precaution) and I wasn't able to open the door from the keyfob - locks wouldn't work. I had to use the actual key to open the door. If the keyfob and starter relay don't do it, I'll have the battery handy. If the other things work, refunds are always nice. :)

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
If the battery in key fob is bad it wouldn't start, or even try to start, and if starter relay was bad, you wouldn't have gotten the clicking sound you had before. The fact that your keyfob wouldn't open the doors now is really pointing to your battery being completely drained. before you waste time/money buying parts you may not need, you need to take the battery out and get it tested and/or fully charged.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just wanted to give an update. Went to the dealer this morning to pickup the relay and get the keyfob checked; it turned out to be okay. Got home and put in the new battery first, and got nothing. Replaced the relay and now I'm cruisin the streets again! :)

BUT the issue was ALSO my battery. When I went back to PepBoys for the core swap, I had them do a check on it just to see. Turns out, the thing was dead as roadkill - so I would've had to replace it anyway. A nice double-whammy.

Oh well - at least I didn't have to let the stealership get their hands on it. The guy at the parts counter tried to get me to bring it in to have the WIN module flashed. Sounded real convincing too - if I hadn't know any better, I probably would've fell for it. $200 bucks for the WIN module and I'd STILL end up having to replace the battery and relay. I played real dumb and said "wow, that sounds good. I'll make a service appointment right away" - then promptly got my ass outta there! LOL!!

We all should be grateful for sites like THIS - not only is knowledge power, but a money saver!

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Glad it wasn't the alternator. Congrats on the easy fix.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts